Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #31

Hey Fivepak, the roof is rebuilt and I am hoping to get it lifted back on to the trailer within the next week or so, this will allow me to tie it back into the the trailer, apply the new roofing membrane and seal it all back up again. I did not even bother with a quote to have the bunk replaced, I now know that doing this myself will be easy enough and cheap enough. Here's how I'll handle it;

- Remove the current bunk from the trailer
- Strip the attachments, pole support holders, hinges, buttons for the canvas to connect and such
- Strip the outer tough shell, this should be easy enough if the bunk was subjected to moisture but if not, it may be a little tougher. With the appropriate patience and time taken, you'll get it off.
- Once stripped to the wood, measure the thickness and the remaining dimensions, go to your local lumber supplier and get a piece cut to your needs and reverse the process.

Keep in mind that, so I've discovered, applying the tough shell and any other type of material directly to the plywood with any adhesive will fail if you don't use some type of surface primer on the plywood first. I used Zinnser Bulls Eye 123, it provides a proper seal that allows the adhesive to stick.

BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #32

It's been a while and I don't have pictures to share just yet but I thought I'd share the progress. To start with, the beginning of summer has been wet here in South central Ontario, I've also had way too many things that have pulled me away from getting this project completed sooner than I'd hoped for but the good news is, the major stuff has been done and I only need to put the awning back on the trailer and seal up the drivers side roof.

This past week had me working my regular work shift then another 4 or 5 hours a night after that working on the trailer but the progress this week was insane and I'm happy about that. As I preluded, the lost time hasn't been missed much because the weather hasn't been camping appropriate just yet any ways!

I will post completed photos when I am done which will hopefully be before the end of the month. We have a ton more rain on the way so I'm not going to rush it because let's face it, I'm saving money by not paying site fees for a camping spot I'm not going to use since it's been raining this much.

Till later...

Old 10-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #33

Roof done

A bit late but here's a few pics of the inside of the trailer. I don't have any from the top for some reason, I had them but they seem to be missing.

Sorry for the wait on this people but know this, the build is done and has shown no failures over the past two seasons of use. This project taught me a lot and I would certainly tackle another job like this without hesitation. A word of caution; be sure to seek the assistance of others when you need help but don't fear to go it alone when it's safe to do so.

Also consider using Eternabond instead of caulking, that stuff absolutely rocks, I used just over 3/4 of a full 50' roll to seal up the edges of the roof - side to side both ends and four corners downward on either side of the bunk ends.

Also consider using Zinsser 1-2-3 primer to prime both sides of the plywood roof so that your ceiling covering material sticks and so that your rubber roof sticks too. Don't actually consider it, just spend the money and use it, you'll kick yourself if you fail to do this.

I'm hoping to find more picture but for now enjoy these ones of the inside
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150706_001.jpg   WP_20150706_002.jpg   WP_20150730_17_31_02_Pro.jpg   WP_20150730_17_31_37_Pro.jpg   WP_20150730_17_32_36_Pro.jpg  

Tags
ceiling sags, floor repair, roof leak, water damage