Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 AM   #21

As did I. I wanted the front pass through to be for outside stuff, and the area under the bed to be inside stuff, and never the twain should meet.

I hadn't even thought of the extra bed support this mod would provide. My mod is located in the Mod subforum area.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...age-48065.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
I refabricated our bed very similarly ..... the only difference is, i made the front half permanent, and cut the bed in half ( not really) and just have the back 1/2 hinged and open ..... why lift the whole bed if you only need the storage area inside the trailer

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 AM   #22

I think it strictly for 1) a little weight savings, 2) save a few pennies, 3) speed up the build time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Our 2014 28BHBE came with the wall installed as well. I wonder why some had them and some didn't? Since we had the wall already from factory, our bed is solid enough. I did have to replace one of the struts because it kept popping off, but that was easy.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #23

I did similar mods to the bed even before our first time out. The bed didn't feel flimsy at the dealer, but maybe it was the excitement of getting a new trailer.
The photos are in my album. What really was bad was the seam they made about where your knees might be. This would flex when getting in the bed . I glued and brad nailed some 1x3 to link the two pieces together. I also added a third piano hinge.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #24

Nice work. That should do the trick.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin1 View Post
We just bought a 2016 Jayflight 28BHBE. One of the first problems I had was a flimsy master bed frame(picture #1). The reinforcing wood on the back side of the plywood broke the first night we camped. The front sides don't have enough support under them(picture #2) causing too much stress on the reinforcing boards on the back side of the plywood. So While at CW having some other repairs and a slide topper installed I had them fix the broken board. Once I got it back I decided to support the frame properly(picture #3). I installed support in two different locations. One about midway to the head of the bed frame(picture #4). One at the very front by where the hinge is(picture #4) This seems to provide adequate support for the entire bed frame. This seems like a really bad design and I hope Jayco changes this aspect when designing in the future.

I also installed some foam board insulation to try and keep the heat and cold from the bed and bedroom. I installed some in the midway wall and the covered with plywood and I also put some on the topside under the mattress.

I've found a couple other posts with the same issue but not very much in for the repair.
I hope this helps!
How many 2x4 did you need?
What size screws did you use? And what did you cut the 2x4’s at? I have the same issue.
Jeffrey048 is offline   Reply With Quote