Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Mastering the ancient art of backing up aka can I use my caster?

I'm a new 154BH owner and where I store my TT I have to park between 2 cars. I havent mastered the ancient art of backing up completely and the site is narrow, so it takes me a long time to get it straight.
The TT came with a caster and I was wondering if anyone uses it to even the TT out.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #2

Are you referring to the caster wheel on the tongue jack? If so I use to use it all the time with the old pop up. Worked great at campgrounds to position it just where I wanted it. Hook up your trailer and find an empty parking lot and practice backing it into a parking spot. It will come with practice.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

OOOOoooo.... very risky if the area isn't completely flat and smooth. That's about 3,000# that can get quickly get away from you. The other problem I found is that the TT tongue is often too low to install the caster (when hooked to the TV).....and certainly too low to travel with it installed.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

good point threebutchers!
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Mastering the ancient art of backing up aka can I use my caster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
OOOOoooo.... very risky if the area isn't completely flat and smooth. That's about 3,000# that can get quickly get away from you. The other problem I found is that the TT tongue is often too low to install the caster (when hooked to the TV).....and certainly too low to travel with it installed.
X100 it will get away from you fast and no way to stop it. Can you move to a different spot that will make it easier?
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #6

Questions for the more experienced people.
Could the breakaway cable be pulled to engage the electric break if absolutely needed? Not saying it should be a common practice but a just in case while practicing. Maybe try and if trailer gets away pull breakaway once and give up because if it gets away once ; it will again.
jmactootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #7

I would not count on it to stop. I'd keep practicing backing up in a empty parking lot until mastered. Its not hard, just take your time dont feel rushed and it will come naturally.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterDiva View Post
I'm a new 154BH owner and where I store my TT I have to park between 2 cars. I havent mastered the ancient art of backing up completely and the site is narrow, so it takes me a long time to get it straight.
The TT came with a caster and I was wondering if anyone uses it to even the TT out.
I hope what I am about to write, makes sense to you and others new at backing a trailer! Many moons ago, when I was learning to back a trailer an experienced "trailer backer upper" :-) said the following words to me and as a result I immediately and significantly improved at backing a trailer. All he said was, "As your backing, FOLLOW THE TRAILER [with your drive vehicle]"! Let me know if this helps! It immediately clicked for me!

Another trick is to place an orange highway cone as a target of where you want the back left corner of your TT to end up. This gives you and anyone guiding you a target, the ame target! :-) Hope that helps!

2011 Jayco 31FK, Ford, Class C
2009 Honda CRV - Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Invisibrake
Outdoor Kitchen Mod
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

One way of backing a trailer is get the trailer in the direction you want it to go.Line the Tv w/ the tt, make sure the steering wheel is straight(front wheels). Put one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, which ever way you move your hand the back of the tt will go. So move your hand to the left the back of the tt will move to the left. While looking through the side mirrors give it a try just a foot, go slow so you can recover if you need to go the other direction. Hope that helps...
Bivwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #10

For some reason the hand on the bottom never really caught on with me. Im use to backing boats down ramps and pulling around utilitiy/landscape trailers etc. I typically just hang out the window and look back at the trailer and check the direction of the front TV wheels as i back into a site. Always a good idea to drive by the site and get a good look at what your backing into (check for hook-up locations, trees, picnic table, stray kids etc)
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #11

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...hin-rods/28563

We love these...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote