Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Matching Keys?

So, I just got my unit back from the shop, it has been being worked on since the fall. Long story short, they did lots of warranty items, the biggest by far being that the floor under the refrigerator was angled into the trailer, and therefore when the condensation tray would overflow or rain would enter the vents on the refrigerator, it would flow into the main trailer area and had just done a number on most of the pressed wood veneer at the floor line. They had to rebuild the entire island and replace a number of the bottom pieces of the side cabinets. There were several other items they addressed to my satisfaction as well, such as wallpaper bulges, they replaced the radio, etc.

So, overall I was VERY happy with the work from my walk thru, except 1 item stuck out. They replaced the front door lock that was sticking and not operating smoothly. My bunkhouse has 2 doors, it had matching keys for the bathroom and front door. Now, I have 2 different keys, and was advised that its very odd on bunkhouses to have the same key for both doors. I wanted to ask those of you with dual door units, do you have 2 different lock codes for each door or did all of yours come matched from Jayco? I am debating if I want to contact Jayco directly and tell them to provide me another matching lock for the rear door or not.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

Jayco didn't offer keyed alike until 2017. That being said, there are a limited number of key codes, so it would be possible for it to be keyed alike. Probably just dumb luck they grabbed two units with the same key code. I have the same camper and mine aren't keyed alike. Fixing that is on my to do list. Gonna by a replacement from rvlocksandmore.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccso2213 View Post
Jayco didn't offer keyed alike until 2017. That being said, there are a limited number of key codes, so it would be possible for it to be keyed alike. Probably just dumb luck they grabbed two units with the same key code. I have the same camper and mine aren't keyed alike. Fixing that is on my to do list. Gonna by a replacement from rvlocksandmore.com.

Thanks. I was just looking into replacement locks and found I can get them for under $30each matched, I would spend more than that in gas taking it back so its a non issue.

Guess I was indeed lucky (and didn't know it) to have matching locks till now. Looks like now you can also get matching cam locks for the storage compartments.

ProPride 3P

Old 04-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #4

On my 28BHBE not only are the main and rear bathroom doors the same key, that same key also works for all three storage doors. The only thing that uses the generic CH751 key is the outdoor shower.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #5

What many of us do is take that condensation tube and stick it out the grill opening so it drains on the ground this way you never have to worry about an overflow.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 AM   #6

J,

You definitely got lucky with your '16 doors being keyed alike. We had three different door keys for our 32 before rekeying the main and bathroom doors to match the outdoor kitchen key.

You have the Global Link keys, correct? Worst case ask the dealer if the have the yellow key to just swap the cylinders out. Then just take the door lock assembly to them to change unless you schedule a camping trip in that dirrection.

Or as you mentioned, just swap the whole assembly out. But consider posting your removed lock assembly for someone else to try to rekey alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
On my 28BHBE not only are the main and rear bathroom doors the same key, that same key also works for all three storage doors. The only thing that uses the generic CH751 key is the outdoor shower.
Being keyed alike was one of the "new for '17 models" as mentioned above.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

I've also used RVLocksandMore and was pleased with the service and products. I think I spent around $50 IIRC to get a new entry set and lock cylinders for the battery and front compartments that matched the locks on my basement doors. I did the install myself and "BINGO!" all my locks are the same (and none are CH751). The lockset is a better quality than the original (all metal vs plastic/metal) and since each lock I bought came with 2 keys I now have plenty of spares.
If you are stuck with multiple keys I'd suggest taking a look at these folks, count the locks you'd need to buy and price them. If you are willing to spend that much $$ to solve the problem then you too can join the "One Key Club".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

27 DSRL - 2 door keys are different but never use the door directly into the bedroom so too lazy to change them.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I've also used RVLocksandMore and was pleased with the service and products. I think I spent around $50 IIRC to get a new entry set and lock cylinders for the battery and front compartments that matched the locks on my basement doors. I did the install myself and "BINGO!" all my locks are the same (and none are CH751).
Thats exactly who I was looking at. The dealer I bought at/use is a 2.5 hour trip, at the prices on RVLocksandMore, its not worth the gas (much less my time) to go back out there for a cylinder swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
What many of us do is take that condensation tube and stick it out the grill opening so it drains on the ground this way you never have to worry about an overflow.
Yeah, I have read that after I found out what happened that's definitely going to be done. I think, however, there was an appreciable amount of rain also getting in as the top of the lower vent on the refrigerator compartment wasn't sealed well. Its much better sealed now, and they put that spray tar sealant all over the bottom near the compartment opening after they rebuilt the floor under the refrigerator. It appears to be much better, but I am not going to take any chances. It did go from not passing their "rain test" to passing after they were done.

Overall I am happy with the repairs now I guess. I didn't know I had been lucky with the same locks this entire time! I was expecting more pushback from Jayco on some of the items, but had no issue at all. Worst thing about the experience was I had paid for winter storage I didn't end up using, could have been worse for sure.

ProPride 3P

Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #10

Check out Re-key My RV - FINALLY an easy way to have just one key!

I got some extra keys for my unit and some additional cam locks to match my existing key. I have a single key for everything. I do have a 2017 though.
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #11

Took my 377 to the dealer last year for some awning work, and got it back with a new lock set on the main door. While I have no idea how it got broken, it too showed up with a different key. I pressed to have it rekeyed, which they were able to do without much problem. My door lock has two tumblers in it though: one for the handle, one for the deadbolt. When the correctly keyed tumblers came in, they discovered that the deadbolt tumbler is unique, and had to reorder a matching one for that position. It also requires a unique key to remove the deadbolt tumbler from the assembly. They say it's for safety reasons, which seems logical as you wouldn't want somebody to be able to remove your deadbolt while you are in the camper. Just an FYI when it comes to ordering your tumblers, and perhaps a question to ask when placing the order in regards to tumbler position.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote