Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Mattress Replacement vs. Topper

We just received our x213 and as newbies need some advice for making this bed a little more comfortable. It has a 72x74 King slide out. I originally thought I'd just replace the mattress with one that would work on a box spring but realized that can't be done given the dimensions of the trailer and doors etc. Its impossible to move a full sized mattress in there.

I have a pretty sensitive back, the DH can sleep on/through anything. Any suggestions? Is there a 36" single out there that I could maybe put two in side by side?

Would love your thoughts. Thanks All!

ps. I didn't want to hijack the other mattress thread as I wanted to know if anyone has used a real mattress not just a topper. TIA
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #2

A mattress provides (or doesn't) support for the body. A topper just adds plushness. We went with an air mattress and liked it so much we put one in our home. And you can lay it on the plywood board. Two air bladders let's each person select a firmness that suits them. And you don't have a problem getting it inside. They aren't cheap, but in our trailer we bought a low end one and added a pad on top of the one that came with it. Best of both worlds and we didn't pay another thousand for more padding. It's a bit long, but releasing some air when we close takes care of that problem.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

I would suggest you look around for a memory foam mattress. I bought my mattress for my last trailer from overstock.com. It was a 3 layer foam mattress for a couple hundred dollars if I remember correctly. Being that it is foam, you can cut it to size and not affect the integrity of the mattress like you would a traditional mattress.

Again, being foam you can squeeze, twist and contort around bends and get it where you need it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

We just got a Comfort Rx 2" Orthopedic Gel Foam Mattress Topper from Walmart $27.88.
It made a world of difference!!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

I don't have a box spring in mine just a really nice mattress. You only live once - enjoy it

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #6

Thanks all. I'm into the 'you only live once' place... Plus I'm a bit of a 'princess and the pea' when it comes to that stuff.

I'm thinking of going the 2x twin mattress and a topper to make it feel seamless. IKEA has euro twin sizes that should fit.

I'll let you know how it works out!
chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

We bought a foam mattress from IKEA for our "queen" and ended up trimming 6 inches off the length for a better fit. Works great and much better than the coil mattress the trailer came with.
A custom foam shop can also cut you a mattress to your specs very easily and inexpensively. You could even get different firmness's for each side. Similar to what you want to do with two twins. Hopefully the twins are the right size.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Think ahead ...

A caution, however, to those of you who have storage under the bed accessed by lifting the plywood platform at the foot of the bed. It was REAL easy to get into with the Jayco-supplied mattress but adding a 3" foam topper (Costco) makes it lots harder to lift. I'd hate to lose all that storage with a less flexible option.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #9

We spent the weekend camping in our new Jay Flight 23rb. I was worried about the Denver mattress that has a sort of "pillow-top" and the comfort it would provide. I actually slept well on it without any memory foam under or on top of it. We'll see how the next trip goes but did sleep well with less back/hip pain than I have while at home.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote