Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #1

Unhappy Maxxis 8008 Separation on spare tire

2012 White Hawk
2012 Maxxis ST8008
ST 205/75 R15 Load Range D

We are getting ready for another RV trip here in Florida, as this is the opening season for us. Was airing up the tires and the four on the ground look great for over 12,000 miles on them from Florida to Maine and all around GA and FL. Checked the spare that has been covered by a tire cover and found it separated at the upper section. I am going to try and add a picture. Due to the location on the top of the tire I am guessing that even with the cover on the UV rays and heat got to the tire. So to all check those spares and also thinking of moving the location of the spare from the back bumper to the bed of the covered P/U. Anyone else ever have this problem?
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

Tire

Picture of tire
Attached Thumbnails
Tire2.jpg  
Old 10-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

Hmmm, I see no evidence of any other UV/Weathering on that tire. When was the last time you looked at it or did this tire come with the trailer? IMO that is a defective tire and should be replaced for free. A tire that has never seen service and been under cover the whole time should not degrade like that.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

glad you caught it before you needed it!

If that is a 4 year old tire, it is out of warranty. I replaced my HTT tires this spring including the never used spare.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

Here is the Maxxis warranty. Looks to me like the tire should be covered and since it has 100% tread should be replaced for free.

What Is Warranted and For How Long

Subject to the limitations contained in this Limited Warranty, your new Maxxis tires are
warranted under this Limited Warranty against failures due to defective materials and
workmanship for a period of six years from the date of manufacture.

(A) Eligibility: A tire is eligible for warranty coverage under this Limited Warranty only
if the tire is presented by the original owner and consumer within six years from
the tire’s manufacture date and the tire has a minimum of 2/32” of tread depth
remaining, and all procedures in this Limited Warranty are followed.

(B) Free Replacement: Subject to the limitations contained in this Limited Warranty, if
a Maxxis tire fails due to defective materials or workmanship during the first 25%
of treadwear on the Radial ST or twelve months from the date of original purchase,
whichever comes first, the tire will be replaced with a new comparable Maxxis
tire without charge. Notwithstanding the foregoing, out-of-round tires must be
presented for free replacement within the first 2/32” of tread depth.

(C) Treadwear Prorated Discount: A defective tire that does not qualify for free
replacement under (B) above, but that is otherwise eligible for warranty coverage
under this Limited Warranty, will entitle you to a discount on the purchase of a
comparable new Maxxis tire. The amount of the discount will be calculated based
upon the percentage of tread that remains on the defective tire. For example, if
60% of the original tread remains on the defective tire, you will be entitled to a 60%
discount off of the retail price of a comparable new Maxxis tire. You are responsible
for all labor costs for mounting and balancing and for all applicable taxes.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

That looks like a reaction of some type. Perhaps the cover was out gassing and it was trapped on top of the tire?

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Site Team

I think that`s a first on this forum. The spare tire blew (or separated or whatever) on its hanger!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #8

That looks like a big hole to me, i.e. a blowout. Which means all the air escaped essentially at once. Which means the cover would have been damaged or blown off. Which means that somebody replaced or just put back in place the cover.

Hmmm...

Or: I wonder if someone needed a new Maxxis tire, and left you their blown out one?

Of course, most of my opinions are deplorable, so I'm probably wrong.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #9

Were the missing pieces still inside the cover? I wonder if it came from the factory like that.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #10

That looks crazy! And on a tire that's just been sitting?

If I were Maxxis, I would want to examine the tire to know exactly what happened. Because that's bizarre.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #11

That is crazy. Just doesn't add up. Could something have damaged that tire? I've never seen a new spare tire just blow like that. Maxxis definitely needs to see that one.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

At this time

Called the dealer today and they said bring it in and they will get another. As for price that will have to wait to go back to Maxxis. The tire is still aired up, the rubber just appears to have pulled apart. Will let you know when I find out. The tire was last checked in July before we went over to Sarasota Florida for a month.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #13

Please keep us posted of the outcome! Thanks
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
That looks like a big hole to me, i.e. a blowout. Which means all the air escaped essentially at once. Which means the cover would have been damaged or blown off. Which means that somebody replaced or just put back in place the cover.

Hmmm...

Or: I wonder if someone needed a new Maxxis tire, and left you their blown out one?

Of course, most of my opinions are deplorable, so I'm probably wrong.
Haha! I see what you did there! I'm a proud member too...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #15

Red face Update

Update -- First a thank you to Dan N Janice for posting the warranty info, which got me to go to the Maxxis.com web site due to the reference to the 6 year warranty from date of manufacture which was 2012. Late last night I filled out the on line warranty form. Then at 8:08am today I received a response from Maxxis requesting pictures of the tire. I did so and in a few hours received an E Mail for some more information and a phone number to call. I did so and talked to a warranty person. We discussed the tire and I was told they were shipping a new tire to me as soon as I sent in the paperwork (I sent it overnight express) and instructions for sending the old tire back as they to wanted to see it. They were very easy to deal with and due to us leaving in two weeks on a trip wanted us to have the new tire. So far I cannot say enough good things about Maxxis tires and their warranty staff. For those thinking of which tire you should get I can only say that I will stay with Maxxis Tires. Maybe the load range D is overkill for a White Hawk, but the four that I have had on the trailer are doing great after four years. I still would like to know what caused this problem and will advise what they tell me. Thanks to all for your response.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdream View Post
Update -- First a thank you to Dan N Janice for posting the warranty info, which got me to go to the Maxxis.com web site due to the reference to the 6 year warranty from date of manufacture which was 2012. Late last night I filled out the on line warranty form. Then at 8:08am today I received a response from Maxxis requesting pictures of the tire. I did so and in a few hours received an E Mail for some more information and a phone number to call. I did so and talked to a warranty person. We discussed the tire and I was told they were shipping a new tire to me as soon as I sent in the paperwork (I sent it overnight express) and instructions for sending the old tire back as they to wanted to see it. They were very easy to deal with and due to us leaving in two weeks on a trip wanted us to have the new tire. So far I cannot say enough good things about Maxxis tires and their warranty staff. For those thinking of which tire you should get I can only say that I will stay with Maxxis Tires. Maybe the load range D is overkill for a White Hawk, but the four that I have had on the trailer are doing great after four years. I still would like to know what caused this problem and will advise what they tell me. Thanks to all for your response.
That's great service! Thank you for sharing this with us, it's so good to read about these types of outcomes!! I'm glad to have some assurance that if I have an issue, they will be responsive. I put 4 Maxxis M8008 LR E on my trailer last year (after a close call with some Tow Max tires), and so far, so good.

I hope they get back to you with some explanation...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdream View Post
Glad things worked out for you, it’s nice to see that kind of service these days. I just purchased 5 Maxxis tires this spring; it’s nice to know they stand behind their product.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #18

Way to go, Maxxis! I love to hear a manufacturer stepping up like this.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote