Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

Microwave and AC not working on shore power

I plugged my 24mbh into the garage outlet using the dogbone. The battery was dead. We turned on the AC in the unit. After 5 minutes there was a beep and the ac went off. So we turned off the the AC and left the cord to charge the battery over night after making sure the cords and adapter were not hot.

The next day we tried to use the electric jack and it wouldn't work unless plugged into shore power or the truck. Making me think the battery did not charge over night. When plugged into the 15amp outlet the microwave and AC will no longer turn on. I checked the breakers in the house and RV and all are on. I flipped all of them off and back on again in the RV to no avail. I also checked the GFI outlet and it is not tripped.

Did running the AC on 15 amps damage the system?
korkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Check your fuses for microwave, a/c and electric jack...either that or your battery is toast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #3

On the 12V side, I also suspect your battery is dead if the jack works only when the truck or the converter is supplying the power. If you don't have access to a multimeter, pull the battery and have it tested at an auto supply store.

As for the A/C and microwave, my next set would be pulling the cover off the distribution panel and seeing if there is voltage in and out of the breakers but you should be fairly familiar with a multimeter before doing so.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have some trouble shooting to do.

Have you plugged a light into the house outlet to test if you have power there? If so, then plug in the light at the end of the extension cord between the house the the trailer to see if it is OK. If the cord is OK, then try the microwave (I believe the microwave plugs into an outlet in a cupboard) find that and plug the microwave directly into the extension cord from the house then try the microwave.

Also, you said the electric jack and it wouldn't work unless plugged into shore power or the truck - that sounds like a dead battery. If you had no power to the trailer overnight, then the battery could be dead. Can you check the battery voltage?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. After taking your advice, it turns out that the extension cord I was using died. The old lamp test worked like a charm. New extension cord was added and the battery seems to be charging. Checked the tongue jack without shore power and worked after 20 minutes being plugged in. AC and microwave also worked.

Thanks for the help
korkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

You probably cooked the extension cord running the A/C... I didn't think the A/C would even work on 15 amp...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
You probably cooked the extension cord running the A/C... I didn't think the A/C would even work on 15 amp...

You shouldn't run the a/c if only plugged into 15 amp it will cook the cord

Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
You shouldn't run the a/c if only plugged into 15 amp it will cook the cord

the cord would be "cooked" only if the cord was undersized for the power being pulled. Use a proper size cord, and, I would l plug into a 20 amp plug, or, have the breaker changed to 20 amp. You can, when doing rewiring, use a 20 amp breaker on 14 wire. 15 amps would cause issues when the AC is cycling on and off, and you could not use the MW and the AC at the same time.

Good Luck. be happy it was only the cord that died, it could of been much much worse. If the cord got hot enough to cause it to fail, it could of easily started a fire.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
the cord would be "cooked" only if the cord was undersized for the power being pulled. Use a proper size cord, and, I would l plug into a 20 amp plug, or, have the breaker changed to 20 amp. You can, when doing rewiring, use a 20 amp breaker on 14 wire. 15 amps would cause issues when the AC is cycling on and off, and you could not use the MW and the AC at the same time.

Good Luck. be happy it was only the cord that died, it could of been much much worse. If the cord got hot enough to cause it to fail, it could of easily started a fire.
IMHO you should never replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker without upgrading the wiring to 12 Awg.

20 Amp breaker and 14 Awg size wire is a violation of the NEC. (National Electrical Code)

If you simply replace the breaker, the wire can overheat and ignite the building from inside the walls.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #10

My first thought, 15amp circuit and too much draw. Having a 30 amp installed for the trailer is pretty cheap. I think mine was $125 done by a local electrician. I asked when you get some time could you .... no rush and he used mine as fill on a slow day.
Glad it was a simple fix.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
IMHO you should never replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker without upgrading the wiring to 12 Awg.

20 Amp breaker and 14 Awg size wire is a violation of the NEC. (National Electrical Code)

If you simply replace the breaker, the wire can overheat and ignite the building from inside the walls.
Actually it is allowed and done all the time when installing a new panel. When we would install a new panel, and new meter box we would jump the meter fittings with #10 solid wire. Running the whole house.. they were uninsulated and open but it can carry the load with no issue. Using 20 amp breaker on 14 wire is allowed when installing a new panel, it will not draw enough power to be an issue.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote