Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #1

Minivan towable

My brother is in the market for his first camper. I like the Jayco brand and want to show him a trailer he can pull with his minivan. What is the best option out there in the 3200 lbs class? He has a wife and two young children. And two campgrounds within 20 miles of his house. He does not want a pop-up a slide is preferred but do not know if that can happen.
bigcuzauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #2

If you give us some more details about what minivan he has and what the towing specs are we can give you some ideas.

You can have a look at specs and floorplans on the Jayco site though. The GVWR is the important number. Don't go by the dry weight and dry tongue weight. Those will always grow.

2017 Hummingbird Travel Trailer Floorplans & Prices | Jayco, Inc.

Cheers
Old 10-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #3

The trouble with 2 adults and 2 children in a minivan is that it really limits your options. Even the smallest Hummingbird will probably put your brother over the payload capacity of the minivan.
'
Having towed a small travel trailer myself with a minivan as well as a pop-up, I can tell you that a pop-up is the best fit for your brother's situation.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

^ Agreed. Minivans aren't great tow vehicles, especially for hard sided full profile trailers. Get a pop-up or upgrade to a truck.

That being said, I would advise your brother to go out and buy a used pop-up for not too much money and try it out. Make sure everyone in the family likes it first before going out and dropping serious money. He'd be able to sell it for close to what he paid if he gets a good deal, and then step up in vehicle and/or trailer.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

We towed a 2015 Jayco 16XRB with our 2003 Honda Odyssey minivan, complete with a WDH and electric brakes. While it techinically worked, I wasn't very happy with it. We towed it the camper practically empty (*maybe* 100 pounds of food/blankets, etc) and we only went short distances over flat roads.

I immediately looked for a light truck to pull, especially with the thought that we may want a bigger camper down the road. We found a cheap, used Silverado 1500 with a lot of miles and it was night-and-day different. Now we tow a 26BH with it.

If it were me -- knowing what I know now (and it was all experience after I needed it) -- I'd recommend not towing anything other than a popup. Nothing hard-sided. The passenger tires and the profile of the van aren't conducive to safe towing at the limit, especially with a van full of stuff, a wife, and some kids.

Places we've camped:
sinclaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Don't do it!

I, like others, learned my lessons the hard way. There is no minivan that I know of which will safely pull a 3200lb trailer. Even the Odyssey with it's 3500lb tow capacity is not suitable.

Remember the tow capacity of the vehicle includes all of the occupants of the vehicle as well as any items inside both the RV and the car/truck. Two adults and two kids, assuming a traditional family, means at least 500lbs before you pack in blankets, food, water and any other items you want to bring along. I recommend to friends who are looking to assume a minimum 1200lbs of people and gear, 1500lb is probably a safer estimate. Also note that dry weight normally does not include items such as the propane tanks on the front, the A/C unit or several other items which add weight to the rig.

A decade ago, I was sold my first RV and was told my Minivan could handle the 2900lb trailer. I towed it twice and feel lucky that I arrived at my destinations without harming my family or others on the road.

For the safety of his family your brother needs to reconsider either his tow vehicle or reduce the weight he is willing to tow to under 1800lbs (Assuming the 3000lb weight limit of most minivans).

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #7

Our 2013 dodge minivan pulls our 16xrb very nicely. Well within all weights including payload. Family of 6. Adults on rear bed, kids on dinnete. We are heading from Michigan to Florida this weekend.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #8

A couple of times now I've read about safety issues. Properly set up, I don't think it's unsafe to do. I never felt unsafe towing my 3500# travel trailer with my mini-van. It simply wasn't up to the task long term. And forget about mountains.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

Just google:

odyssey towing airstream
sienna towing airstream

I know that airstream is a little bit easier to tow, but anyway, there are people towing larger trailers with minivans. minivans have pretty good payload capacity and a good wheelbase. Again, there will be more people shouting that only tracks can tow...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Just google:
Again, there will be more people shouting that only tracks can tow...
I'm not arguing that a mini-van can't physically tow a larger trailer. However those of us that have actually towed with mini-vans, SUVs, and full size trucks speak from experience and have a point of reference to compare. Not just reading theory or quoting lines from a certain Canadian RV dealer. I KNOW there is a difference in towing ability and comfort because I've done it.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

Ditto to Doc

Yep, like Doc said... Speaking from experience!

If you need a financial reason to support this logic. The Highway Traffic Act in my jurisdiction and likely every other you will travel in has rather stringent laws in regards to this. Laws which the local Law Enforcement routinely enforce on the Friday of long weekends for the safety of others staring the highway with them.

For example a person driving a minivan... Let's say a 2013 Dodge with a tow capacity of 3000 lbs pulling a 16xrb which has a dry weight of 2845lbs would find themselves at the scales where they might be left with a choice of leaving all of thier belongings and their 5 passengers at the side of the road or leave thier trailer their until they could get a tow vehicle which can lawfully pull the trailer. Is that likely to happen... Not normally, but certainly not a risk I would take.

To take that a step further... Should that tow combination be in an accidents even one that was someone else's fault, a savvy insurance company would rightfully deny any claim since the vehicle was not operating within safety parameters.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #12

Yeah, I was told that SUV is also a poor choice for a larger trailer. I towed over 4k miles through strong cross-winds, Rockies, Tahoe in CA... I do not have a point of reference to a truck, but I know that my setup is rock solid.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #13

Legendary argument which has nothing in common with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
(...)

To take that a step further... Should that tow combination be in an accidents even one that was someone else's fault, a savvy insurance company would rightfully deny any claim since the vehicle was not operating within safety parameters.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Yep, like Doc said... Speaking from experience!

If you need a financial reason to support this logic. The Highway Traffic Act in my jurisdiction and likely every other you will travel in has rather stringent laws in regards to this. Laws which the local Law Enforcement routinely enforce on the Friday of long weekends for the safety of others staring the highway with them.

For example a person driving a minivan... Let's say a 2013 Dodge with a tow capacity of 3000 lbs pulling a 16xrb which has a dry weight of 2845lbs would find themselves at the scales where they might be left with a choice of leaving all of thier belongings and their 5 passengers at the side of the road or leave thier trailer their until they could get a tow vehicle which can lawfully pull the trailer. Is that likely to happen... Not normally, but certainly not a risk I would take.

Your numbers are wrong

I have been through CAT scales three times, and spent a solid hour at a local scrap yard using the scales to set up. We are within every limit published for our set up.

Also, I own a GMC 2500hd. The van tows this trailer much better, from a subjective seat if the pants appraisal. Handles better, stops better, accelerates better. Parking lots, campgrounds, highways, freeways, everything. It is just all around a better match. The van/camper combo will stop quicker than the truck empty. I think the truck makes about %15 more power, but weight close to %30 more. The truck would certainly tow my bobcat better, or similar high weights. Also, MPG towing is better than the truck empty.

For us, the minivan is the way to go.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Yeah, I was told that SUV is also a poor choice for a larger trailer. I towed over 4k miles through strong cross-winds, Rockies, Tahoe in CA... I do not have a point of reference to a truck, but I know that my setup is rock solid.
I believe it is. And it depends on the SUV. Like I said I never questioned the safety of such a setup. You don't have your tow vehicle in your signature, I'm curious what are you towing with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ingbull View Post
For us, the minivan is the way to go.
How many passengers and what kind of distances do you regularly travel?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

This fall I moved up from a 2009 Tacoma (1/4-ton pickup) to 2003 F-350 flatbed. Towing the same trailer.

The Taco was adequate for the task (75% of it's limits). But the old Ford made trailering a pleasure!

So, in my opinion, "There is no kill like overkill."

Stop pussyfooting around with a unibody and McPherson struts. Get something with a ladder frame and springs that are separate from the shocks. Then you will find a whole lot more confidence in your rig! No more spending hours to "get it right". Then getting all fouled up because this trip requires carrying an extra 100lbs.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
How many passengers and what kind of distances do you regularly travel?
6 passengers.

We travel all over. Leaving Saturday at noon for 17 days. Michigan to Florida.

We are gone every other weekend for short (1-3 hour) trips. At least 2x's per year on much longer trips.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
So, in my opinion, "There is no kill like overkill."

Stop pussyfooting around with a unibody and McPherson struts. Get something with a ladder frame and springs that are separate from the shocks. Then you will find a whole lot more confidence in your rig! No more spending hours to "get it right". Then getting all fouled up because this trip requires carrying an extra 100lbs.
I have something with ladder frame and springs. We choose to drive the minivan for many reasons, as posted above.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ingbull View Post
I have something with ladder frame and springs. We choose to drive the minivan for many reasons, as posted above.
I've been following this thread. And I feel you are being foolish. You are trading safety for comfort.

My daily driver (120 mile-per-day commute) has been a sedan or wagon since the 1990's. Love 'em for comfort and handling. Never been stuck because of snow, but reached 2wd limits a few times.

But when it comes to dragging an extra 2,500-30,000lbs at highway speeds, especially with people I care about on board, I won't hesitate to make my safety margins as wide as possible!

With the rig you've built, when something goes wrong, things will get very messy very quickly. All for the sake of being comfortable.

Go ahead and take your risks. Just make sure you have plenty of insurance.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #20

Ladder frame

https://youtu.be/_f3CAnH7WIM?t=91

vs

unibody