Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Mounting a level

Just brought home a new Eagle 266RKS. What's the best way to mount a level on the front cap (fiberglass?). Probably going to get a Hopkins HM04115.
charliedross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

When I mounted my levels I first leveled the trailer using a laser level for hanging pictures and such. I placed the laser level at one side/end of the camper. I measured the height of the beam above the floor right next to the laser. Leaving the laser level in that spot I then I moved to the other end or side of the camper and again measured the height of the beam above the floor. If the two measurements were the same, then the trailer was leveled. I had to play with the jacks to get the trailer leveled. But once I did, I could then install my outside bubble level indicator for the front/rear or side to side level as applicable.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks, Tailgunner and thanks for your service.
Great advice - didn't think to use my laser!!! But I guess I should have been clearer in my post. I'm a little hinky about drilling into the front cap to mount the level. Don't know whether to use screws, pop rivets or adhesive tape on the plastic - ya know what I mean...
And say 'Ya"! The higher the latitude, the better the attitude!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

I used two small dabs of liquid nails

Sets up quick

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #5

Welcome to The Forum, Charlie, and congratulations on the 266RKS! I have one, too - a 2013 I purchased new in January. Don't you just love the layout, the countertop space, the storage space, and the huge storage tank capacities? I had mine out for its maiden trip about 3 weeks ago, and it performed flawlessly. Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

What are you pulling it with? Be sure to post some pictures when you get a chance.

As for mounting the levels: I know what you mean about drilling & screwing into that new fiberglass, but I think short screws are your best bet. Just don't drill/screw into your propane tanks! (LOL) And put a good dab of caulk into the screw holes before you insert the screws. Can't remember who posted it, but there's a thread on the forum about how hot these brown caps get. I'd be afraid the heat might soften the glue on double-sided tape, and you might loose your levels. I'd also be afraid that pop rivets might crack the fiberglass. JMoony's suggestion of Liquid Nails is good, too.

Best of luck with your Eagle! Hope to see you 'round the campfire!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #6

I couldn't bear to drill into my new fiberglass . I'll let you know next year how the liquid nails faired in the Colorado extremes

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #7

We always use a 3 ft level on the floor of the trailer. I did mount some stick on levels on the side and cap just to get an idea when I am close to level. I applied the stick ons with the slides out. I found that I can have the trailer level and then extend the slides and still be low on the side with the two slides.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your insight and for the great welcome. Guess I'll bite the bullet and use some short self-tappers with a dab.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #9

Congrats on the new TT. Our 2014 came with an electric tongue jack and it has a bubble level on the top. I still go inside and check with a small level on the floor. So far so it has worked for us.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote