Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Move TT without battery

I need to move my TT up the road to a neighbors property. It's winterized and batteries are disconnected and adco cover is in place. I was just going to hook up and tow it as-is but I wanted to verify I don't need to hook up the battery, just run off the TV electric system. I'm sure I could read the manual, but it's in the trailer. Help appreciated.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

You didn't mention the likely speed or distance for this move, but two things occurred to me:
1) Without a battery, the breakaway system to apply the trailer brakes would not function; not safe and not sure of the legality.

2) If the cover (or straps/ropes) became entangled, that could damage your cover or trailer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Since you are considering towing the trailer with the ADCO cover on, I'm assuming this is going to be a low speed, short distance tow (like less than a couple miles and under 10mph) since you won't have any lights visible. That cover will flap like a flag if you go much faster than that and could tear against any sharp point such as gutter spouts.

The battery is the only source of power for your electric emergency brakes if the trailer ever broke away from the truck. Again, under 10mph isn't a risk to safety in my opinion. The chances of something going wrong are very low, but then again it's pretty darn easy just to throw the leads onto the battery terminals for your quick tow.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #4

Short move, Go for it. Might want to ask a friend to follow since you won't have tail lights. Keep speed down and do the move at low [traffic] tide. I wouldn't worry about the emergency brake assuming to double check the hitch up. If you're worried about the above, just temporarily hook up a battery or even a battery jump box.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the replys. Just finished the move without the battery hooked up with no issues. I was literally moving it three houses down to store while I move. Maybe the length of a football field. Anything further and I would have taken the cover off and put the battery in for emergency breaking and tail light visibility, license plate and such. Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #6

NOTE: Disregard my comments - I was too slow typing using my fat fingers... Glad you made the short move OK...

Just to clarify one comment above if you plug in the trailer cable to the 7-pin connector on the back of the truck you will have have trailer brakes and safety lights working which gets their 12VDC power from the truck connection. Does not need the trailer battery for this.

The trailer however not having an on-board battery connected will not work your trailer electric brakes in the event the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck... This is actually a STATE DOT requirement if pulled on State Roads and could go bad for you insurance wise if the run-away trailer has done some damage or hurts someone...

I like the idea of having a follow vehicle if it is a rather short run...

Another point is you don't actually have to your trailer batteries on-line - you can clip in a small lawn mower tractor battery to do same thing...

Another point you need to be aware of if your trailer batteries are disconnected be sure the 12VDC cables have a sandwich sack tapped over them to keep them from touching frame ground. If you batteries are disconnected via a disconnect switch then you have to worry about this. When you hookup your trailer connector these lines will be active from the truck side through the 7-way truck connector.

just saying

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, storage, towing