Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #21

Ward,

Another thing to watch is the tw rating of the factory mounted receiver hitch. I don't recall exactly, but vaguely remember the max tw rating is around 700lbs, possibly a little more for the Durango.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Ward,

Another thing to watch is the tw rating of the factory mounted receiver hitch. I don't recall exactly, but vaguely remember the max tw rating is around 700lbs, possibly a little more for the Durango.
720 lbs. on my Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD. 10% of the max tow rating(7200 lbs.)

7400 lbs. on the 2 wheel drive model.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
720 lbs. on my Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD. 10% of the max tow rating(7200 lbs.) 7400 lbs. on the 2 wheel drive model.
TY!!! I thought that's what it was, but wasn't 100% sure.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
I have found that the most critical temperature is that of the transmission. The engine typically gets warm but if the tranny gets too hot, you will need to change the fluid much more often. Once the fluid hits the critical temp, it changes.

Pulling up our 4,000 foot passes in Utah once a year is no big deal. Doing it 8-10 times a year, is another. I use my OBD II reader and the Torque app to monitor the tranny temps and worry once it hits 125 degrees. I will be changing the fluid shortly after hitting 145 degrees climbing the 10% grade of the Moki Dugway in the four corners area.
Marbles, not sure if your posted temps are a typo, but driving on the freeway, not towing, my tranny temps run around 180 degrees on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Towing up long grades it's been as high as 215 degrees. Water temp close to 240 degrees. Oil temp close to 265 degrees on hard pulls.

Normally diesels tend to run hotter than gas engines. All the fluids in the Jeep are full synthetic and I have had no issues.

That said, I will cut the recommended time & mileage for fluid maintenance in half.

Oil change recommendations are 10,000 miles and I have changed it at 50% oil life remaining per the driver info display, which is normally about 4-5000 miles depending on the amount of towing.

If those numbers you posted are accurate you have nothing to worry about.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #25

Thanks so much everyone. Your advice has been invaluable. So appreciated.
Ward Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:15 AM   #26

We have the same TT, and I pulled it with our SUV the first season. I realized, due to what you're describing, that we wouldn't be going to the mountains with that set up, but we'd be OK if we stayed in the flat to hilly areas. We now have a half ton GMC and no problems. If you're towing a lot, especially if you're full timing, you'll need to go to a pickup. Otherwise, you've got good advice here. If your Dodge is your primary vehicle, just know you are aging it by towing the TT. One final note, don't be hauling with water in the tanks, other than a couple gallons in gray and black for slosh cleaning purposes. Enjoy your 264! We love ours.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #27

Thanks tdk wonderful info. And yes we love our van. You make good sense and I appreciate you sharing your experience.
Ward Reid is offline   Reply With Quote