Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

My buddys say your not camping

so I was wondering when you go camping or say your going camping how many of your friends tell you, Oh man thats not camping you are Glamping. Hey I have done my time in a tent. The cold,rain,no bathroom close by. So yea my camping style has changed and you know what I am not going back to tent camping. So bring on the GLAMPING!!!!!!!! I LOVE my travel trailer.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Site Team

I get that all the time from my fellow Scout leaders. What? You family camp in a RV?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

I still have my tent, and I ain't afraid to use it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

Me and the DW are over 50.. Have been tent camping since teenagers... Got the sore back to prove it... I've earned my stripes thank you very much... Camping, Glamping, call it whatever you want... I'm quite happy to roll out of my queen sized bed and walk over to the kitchenette and pour a cup of coffee and crawl back into bed... You young whippersnappers can whine all you want.. No skin off me.....

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #5

I would tell them that they are not camping what they are doing is acting homeless.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #6

Done my time as well. Started looking into TT as a way to carry/store all tent gear. The wife wanted A/C...
So here we are...loving it
Going to Orlando next week for our anniversary, think we are staying in a hotel?

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Its nice to spend time in the great outdoors. Its also nice to have a warm dry place to come into when you`ve had enough of the great outdoors, and a real bed to sleep in!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #8

We also have done the Tent camping but as we got a little older well you just cant beat a Trailer but i still get to tent camp during Elk season but with tents for sleping a tent for cooking and wood stoves in all the tents its not to bad.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #9

On our last tent camping trip I had 2 kids, 5 and 2 at the time. Woke up at 5AM to a guy next to us, also tent camping with his family, splitting firewood to start a fire to heat a bottle for their 9 mth old. He and I got to talking that morning, I offered my propane stove and he declined. I quickly realized he was a much tougher sole than I and I would much rather be the one of many families sleeping soundly in RVs surrounding us. That family was into camping, didn't even have/want a propane stove, cooked everything over his campfire.

That was Sept 2011, we bought our TT in Oct 2011. Although I still own my tents, mattresses and sleeping bags -- I am very happy to let them gather dust in the garage.

In 2012 we had our 3rd kid. He was camping at ~10 weeks. As I heated a bottle in the microwave in the middle of the night I had immediate flashbacks to that cold morning chatting with our camping neighbor as he happily raced build a fire before their baby woke up.

Call it camping, call it glamping -- we call it vacationing. On my vacation I enjoy the conveniences of our TT.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I would tell them that they are not camping what they are doing is acting homeless.
Ha Ha Ha I love that one and I'm going to use it whenever I can.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #11

I still sit by the CAMPfire.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #12

Camping is old school Boy Scout type camping. Tents, cooking over a fire, coleman propane lantern, coleman propane stove, etc. That's true camping.

Glamping takes camping and adds things like a propane fired coffee maker, porta potty with privy tent, Smokey Joe or Weber propane grill, etc. That's glamour camping.

What we do here on this forum? If you got a Jayco, you're RV'ing. Its not camping though you may be on a campsite while you are RV'ing. Sure, you may not have a Melbourne or a 36' Eagle; but we're ALL OF US RV'ing. And maybe hanging out by the fire before we retire into our climate controlled rolling Holiday Inn.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #13

IMHO -- Your only glamping if you have a fireplace in your coach!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #14

10 years ago, I told my Wife to kill me if we ever got a trailer.
Oh well. I'm sure she'll do it in my sleep when I'm least expecting it.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #15

Paid my dues by sleeping in a tent numerous times, I still have a tent in the garage, i'm happy to say I haven't used it in about 8 years now
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #16

Camping comes in many forms. We have an RV now along with all our other camping gear, with no plans to get rid of it. What I have found is we get out camping a LOT more now than when we tented. In the HTT is all our gear nicely stowed for the next trip. With the kid and dog, we found it to be a lot of work before and after the trip. We still tent camp, and cabin camp. I also camp with the Boy Scouts, and Cub Scouts. I use to Mountaineer before the kid. I have not been to the BWCA as much either now. But now the boy is getting older and stronger and likes to canoe solo, I foresee a BWCA trip in the near future. All I need is to convince work to give me more time off for all the adventures I want to do.

I have taken the DW mountaineering and she did not like that extreme. But some day when the kid is out the door, I would like to load up my gear in the RV, let the DW enjoy the RV park in the mountains, and I will take multiday solo tenting adventures.

Each to their own, and you have to find your own balance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #17

We 'tent' camped at first. But after several trips, I determined I was the only person on the planet who could pitch a tent atop of Mt Everest--- and still wake up in the morning in a puddle. I swear WATER WILL FLOW UP HILL TO GET TO ME!!!

So we 'upgraded' to a pop-up since it was sort of like a tent, but up off the ground. But again after a few rainstorms in the pop-up, it became apparent that no matter how 'water proof' the canvas was, if it rains hard enough and long enough, you will get leaks somewhere.

So we again 'upgraded' to a 2005 Jay Feather LGT 27P. Finally we stayed warm when it was cold, we stayed cool when it was hot and dry when it poured. It served us well for 9 seasons. But with no slide-out, it was somewhat cramped inside.

Out of desire for more space and to prepare for retirement in a few years, we got our 2013 Eagle 284BHS. Call it camping or not, we're warm or cool as needed. We're dry inside when it's not so outside. And if we want to watch a movie in bed, we can do that too.

For anyone who thinks true 'camping' can only be done in a tent, try this on for size. When I was going through all the required training to be a B-52 tail gunner, I had to attend Air Force survival school. During that course, I got to go 'camping' in the mountains for about 5 days. All I had was a government issue sleeping bag and a PORTION of a parachute with which to make improvised shelters. For food and water all we had was 2 days worth of salted beef and some water purification tablets. Any additional food had to be 'procured' and all our water we got from natural sources. After enduring that 'true camping' experience, a tent and a cooler full of food seemed like an 'upgrade'.

I think I'll keep my Eagle TT.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #18

My idea of camping may be different than your idea of camping, I like to be off the grid boondocking somewhere, I have a rule of no TV or electronic games for the kids, I want them to experience the mountains and the environment included in such. I cook outside whenever feasible, my lanterns use white gas, my kids appreciate getting away from it all.

We also like vacationing in our trailer, for these trips, we loosen the rules, stay in campgrounds with full hookups, use the air conditioner if needed.

Bottom line... it's all camping, and we get out to enjoy it whenever we can

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #19

I like Flyrotor's line:
Quote:
"Bottom line... it's all camping, and we get out to enjoy it whenever we can"
I've been following this thread with my fingers crossed that we don't make camping a "one size fits all" experience. The intellectually challenged might need to be told how to camp. Most of us will do fine on our own.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #20

If I'm dry camping, you can bet I have my Honda EU3000is purring in the back of the truck. My cushy needs will not be denied anywhere !!!!
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote