Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #1

My butt went through the seat

We are new to tt and we picked up our 2014 184 bh Baja edition trailer this past Saturday and we were putting our camping stuff in the trailer. I went to sit down and I heard a loud crack and my right side went down. I lifted the seat cushion and found a piece of 1/8" plywood as my bench top. I decided a quick trip to the local Home Depot was in order. I picked up two 4 x 8 by 3/8" thick sheets of plywood for around 34 bucks. They even cut them for free, a nice surprise. I went home and drilled some thumb holes and pulled all of the cushions and replaced the thin sheets of plywood. What a difference the benches now feel more sturdy. My oldest boy who is only 5 put his knee through the wood on the top bunk.
I think the quality of this trailer is still better than some of the TT of the similar size from other manufactures. The cabinets have real wood doors. My trailer was a bit more money but the investment is a good one. Jaycos are screwed together as compared to staples and nails. We went to an RV show this weekend and had a look around and seen some nice trailers though.
Junkers12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

That's what I figured I would do when it happens.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Good job - at least one similar complaint has been noted on here previously. We've not had issues with our 154BH....

BTW - If the plywood you purchased is not a luan or tight grained birch - you might want to seal it on all sides to keep it nice and straight.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

Something I need to keep an eye on...
Thanks for sharing

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #5

Really, 1/8' plywood for a seat board. That's amazing, mine is 3/8 I believe (in storage) and I still put an added crossmember in to support the cushion. What were they thinking? Cost, certainly not weight factor. lol
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #6

Thats really dangerous.. yikes… we had an accident in our old trailer (not a jayco) the first time we went to use the table bed I went to climb on it and it collapsed onto the floor. The braces that hold the table in place as a bed we only screwed into the particle board with no wood backing. The wood backing was there..lower down, and I guess someone glued it too low and the person who installed the braces never looked.. just screwed the braces into the normal spot. When it happened I remember thinking.. oh my.. what if this had been an elderly person. I was pretty bruised.. they would have had a broken hip.. ever since then I take nothing for granted when it comes tot he trailer.. I double check!

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #7

Same thing here.. I have yet to replace the 1/8" plywood but it is on my short list to do before our next spring outing. I hate having to pull or lift the entire panel out when I need access so I plan on going with something closer to 1/2 thick and cutting them in half. This way I only have to pull half of the panel out instead of the whole sheet. I am also rolling around in my head a thought to just cut out the side of the bench and put a small door over it. Install a slide tray and be able to just open the little door and slide everything out instead of having to pull everything up.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Site Team

IMO 1/8" is just too thin for seats or bunks. The plywood under the seat and beds on my Jflight is 15/32" or just under 1/2". The bunks are rated to 300lbs and I`ve had no issues with either. But the Jayflight is not considered a "liteweight" unit. Sometimes when striving to keep weights down on these lite weight units I think these problems can arise, such as the use of the previously mentioned 1/8" seat bottoms and them breaking.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Really, 1/8' plywood for a seat board. That's amazing, mine is 3/8 I believe (in storage) and I still put an added crossmember in to support the cushion. What were they thinking? Cost, certainly not weight factor. lol
I was thinking that after making this comment someone might say that these boards are in fact more then 1/8" thick or at least that the bunks were. Now I'm truly amazed. lol
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

I also have a 184BH. We are in our second year of using our camper and we have not had any issues with the 1/8 inch plywood. I will probably consider putting half inch in at some point in time... Especially under the bottom bunk and couch.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
ever since then I take nothing for granted when it comes tot he trailer.. I double check!
This friend speaks my mind! I've come to the conclusion that at some point I'll have to upgrade or beef up just about everything that's in my trailer!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote