Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2016, 05:43 AM   #1

Need Ideas on Backing Into Space at Night

We've made about 6 trips now and I've gotten much more comfortable, and better I think, at maneuvering, backing up, knowing where I can get in and out for gas, bathroom breaks, etc. My wife is not physically able to be a spotter for me when we get to the camp site and has to stay in the TV until I get the TT in position, level and set up. I can then help her into the TT. I've mounted a good camera on the back of the TT with decent night vision but after last night I know I need a bit more help backing into a space at night. It was pitch dark, lots of trees near the space and a tricky fit for the doors to open onto the pad area and the stabilizer jacks to hit the ground or pad in a good spot and the slide out to have enough room to not hit the power outlet pole or water feed plus - the mosquitoes were in full force. It was rough. I have the Andersen levelers and a levelmatepro unit which has helped a lot.

Would appreciate tips on how others back into spaces at night with almost no light and a tight fit. Lights on the sides of the TT shining back? On the bumper? Perhaps a set of red marker lights to put on the ground to provide a reference for where to back into? I'm thinking of ideas to give me some visual assistance when backing in. The rear camera helps a lot but night vision cameras and the wide view are not enough to fit into a tight camp site and end up in the right spot without a lot of in and out of the TV, back and forth, etc.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #2

I keep a couple of old 6v lanterns in the camper, they are heavy enough to stay put. Shine one "down" the pad, parallel to the pad. This beam helps to align the trailer. A second one Beaming at the "stop" location.

Remember the G.O.A.L. Is to Get Out And Look.

Keep it simple. Don't mess with flood lights mounted to the bumper, that are wired using the reverse circuit in your 7-way plug, so they only come on when you put the truck into reverse. It would be awesome, but seems overkill. [emoji1]

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Team

The cg we are currently in has small cones with a solar powered light on top to assist you in finding and staying off the concrete pads. Each site has has four and at night they are very helpful and fully visible day or night.

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #4

Wow, those are really nice. Seems easy enough to fab a set of 4 of those with a light on top. I put a flashlight on the ground last night that at least gave me one reference point. I was in and out of the truck about 10 times and each time I let in about 100 more mosquitoes. For now I'm at least going to pick up a few more of those small led lights they sell at the counter of most stores these days. I do like the idea from ctbailey re having something shining down the path on each side.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Site Team

I looked at them closer and they appear to be home made. Small cone with a solar walkway light. They put out a lot of light after dark.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I looked at them closer and they appear to be home made. Small cone with a solar walkway light. They put out a lot of light after dark.
Wow, that is a simple and great idea!
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

Does the cone glow a bit as well?
Old 09-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #8

You can't go wrong if you have the time and money to add lights to the rear bumper. Carrying lights along works as well. However, you'll never get better than what CTBaily suggested....Get Out and Look. Lights marking the way won't tell you if you're close to a tree branch, about to hit a pole, etc. I carry a flashlight with me and always back up a little and then get out and look again. Saved me lots of trouble.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

The solar light with safety cone is a FANTASTIC idea!

But consider this: You show up to the site at night, your lights have been in storage since the last time you used the trailer, storage compartment is dark, so when you go to put the lights out, you have no light. I would consider a battery powered solution using the same or a similar concept.

Or if you want to keep it REALLY simple, get a pack of snap-lights (glow-sticks). When you get to your site, snap a few and put them out as reference points.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

All good ideas. I do get out and look before I start and often while backing in. Some sort of light assist would help minimize the frequency.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

We bought these a while back and they put out a lot of light and the batteries last a long time. This two-pack would give you one for each side.

Etekcity 2 Pack Portable Outdoor LED Camping Lantern with 6 AA Batteries (Black, Collapsible)

Right now Amazon has the 2-pack for less than $14.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #12

You could always get an extension cord and a led rope light (like used on awnings) and create a lit pathway to follow.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #13

Backup light would not be hard to add. The yellow wire in the 7pin wire harness. Add a couple led light to the rear bumper area. Then add a few additional lights farther forwards facing to the rear, to light up the sides of the tt.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:54 AM   #14

Walmart has solar sidewalk marker lamps in the landscape section for a buck a piece you might consider as landings strip lights.

These led lamps might help on the rear bumper.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...nid=1248859011

Finally, stating the obvious. Could you plan to arrive during the daylight? Sure there will be exceptions, but as a general rule this might help. Sorry if that is too forward.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #15

The short answer to this ?? is "Don't do it". The light sticks, solar lights, and light strips are all good ideas, but only illuminate the ground/pad area. The real problem when backing into an unfamiliar sight is above eye level in the form of overhanging branches and other obstructions. Things you can easily avoid during the day by not crowding the edge of a site or not backing too far into the site. For sure you can damage your TT by backing into a site post or power post etc but the real damage potential lies higher up. Next time you are camping and get bored, walk around the CG and look at the back corner and sides of other campers on your loop. You are bound to spot one with damage to these areas near the roof edge.

Given the fact that your wife can't help as a spotter, I would make a firm policy of arriving before dark OR I would overnite in the CG overflow or parking lot and wait to set up in the morning. Even with a spotter, it is difficult to mark and avoid obsticles above eye level at a new site.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #16

Several good ideas here - thanks to all. Going to consider and test a few of them to see. Yes, plan is always to arrive during the daytime but, there are times when it just doesn't work out or - things don't go as planned. We are still in test mode really. Made about 6 trips within 1-2 hours of our house. TN, MS and AR have lots of great state parks to choose from that are not far for us to drive. We live near Memphis. Getting ready for a long trip in the fall and want to be prepared. This trip, to a park without sewer hookup, gave me a good idea of how long we can go before dumping the tanks if we are careful with our water use. Seems every trip we come back with a list of things I need to get or do - where to put a towel rack, another command hook (great little things), see something someone else has that is really helpful, etc. Also learn what I can leave at home next time that I really don't need.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Backup light would not be hard to add.
I've been thinking about doing this, but I usually plan on arriving well before dark (when at all possible)

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #18

I had a set of rope lights that plugged in at one time and I would run them along the drivers side of the site at night and then back in using them like runway lights. This actually worked pretty good as long as you have no overhead obstacles and look the other areas of site over
Old 09-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #19

One other suggestion is to get a set of "puck lights." They are inexpensive and you can place them to guide you and then easily get out and move them to complete the process. If your purchase 4 - 6 you could set 2 out where you want to set the trailer (back of the trailer) and then use the other 4 as warning spots.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #20

Please don't ignore the blind spots you have when the TT is jackknifed to the passenger side when you back into a site. For the most part, the drivers side is totally blanked out in your mirrors. With the tv and tt at an angle your mirrors really don't tell you much even if you have lights of some kind marking the edges of the site. There is no good reason to try backing in your rig at night without a spotter, ABSOLUTELY NONE!! Get there before dark or make arrangements to have the CG host or friend come over to assist. Doing thousands of $$$$ damage to your TT is what you are risking. You mentioned you are a rookie at this. Take the advice from those of us who have some miles under our belts.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote