Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #21

Rear lights

I used Costco solar light mount on back roof I climb the ladder switch it on and have decent 1000W light ... You then can use it for camping and security as the switch goes to motion sensor or full time on
Cost $40 easy to install on rear
Ronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #22

Since nobody mentioned it yet, I'd take a look at a decent backup camera. Most of them work in little to no light. It's the first mod I plan on doing next spring. You still want to get out and look around, but after verifying everything looks ok, you can back up with confidence. It's the next best thing to having a spotter back there... actually better depending on the spotter
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #23

Collect those free oval flashlights (blue) from harbor freight. I am working on getting 6 and line them up like a runway and back er in,
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Please don't ignore the blind spots you have when the TT is jackknifed to the passenger side when you back into a site. For the most part, the drivers side is totally blanked out in your mirrors. With the tv and tt at an angle your mirrors really don't tell you much even if you have lights of some kind marking the edges of the site. There is no good reason to try backing in your rig at night without a spotter, ABSOLUTELY NONE!! Get there before dark or make arrangements to have the CG host or friend come over to assist. Doing thousands of $$$$ damage to your TT is what you are risking. You mentioned you are a rookie at this. Take the advice from those of us who have some miles under our belts.

Some great points, from experience.... in sure!

It's tough to take the hard line of arrive in daylight for those of us who can't pick up junior from school until 3pm, With a 4 hour drive to the campground ahead... in October. It's getting dark earlier.

I still say get a spotter with a flashlight, and for heavens sake... point it up into the trees. Many many many times I've been on a site where I am clearing a 20" oak tree at the base, but the tree leans into the site, at 11 feet tall, there is plenty of room for that "leaner" to encroach into the space where your camper wants to be.

(Sent from TapaTalk app)
Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #25

Solo backing

I have some triangle shaped LED lights I picked up at Harbor Freight cheap. I scope out the site for 'targets' (those to aim for and to avoid) then put my lights down pointing to where I want the back of my trailer, this makes a runway down each side so I can 'aim' the trailer. My truck does not maneuver well so I need all the help I can get. For hooking up before I leave, I have a small metal 'L" on top of my propane case and a stripe painted on my tailgate, when they line up I am ready to hook up.

Happy travels
sragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #26

backup lights - built in

Pop off the taillight covers/lens and you'll have a bit of light to back up with.
toxictom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Some great points, from experience.... in sure!

It's tough to take the hard line of arrive in daylight for those of us who can't pick up junior from school until 3pm, With a 4 hour drive to the campground ahead... in October. It's getting dark earlier.

I still say get a spotter with a flashlight, and for heavens sake... point it up into the trees. Many many many times I've been on a site where I am clearing a 20" oak tree at the base, but the tree leans into the site, at 11 feet tall, there is plenty of room for that "leaner" to encroach into the space where your camper wants to be.

(Sent from TapaTalk app)
Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
The OP is asking about backing in after dark into a first time campsite W/O a spotter. In such a case, I again say DON'T DO IT!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #28
Site Team

I hate backing and setting up in the dark. I would overnight somewhere with a pull thru and come in to my destination in the daylight.

Anything else would be dangerous and expensive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #29

Thanks for all the great ideas and comments. For the record - we always plan to arrive in the daylight but, for those times when we can't I want to be as prepared as I can. I can't afford to not be able to deal with the reality that it just might not be avoidable. The prior campsite was very remote, no other campers around and no camp host or ranger to help. As I said, my wife cannot spot for me. I have a good backup camera with night vision but that's only a wide view directly behind me. After a good survey of the site with a bright light I planned my approach and moved very slowly and carefully.

I've decided to mount some side lights on the skirt panels up near the front of the trailer that shine backwards and light up the sides and behind. WalMart has some that look like a very good fit. Very bright but small. Can power them with the smaller trailer power hookup when needed and leave the harness coiled up and tucked away when not being used. Might be handy for other uses, who knows.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #30

Lights

I keep 4 or more of the craftsman 19.2v fluorescent lights on hand. Set em up like a runway. The lights are about $20 each and the regular batteries are pretty cheap to. Plus if you get a drill or something else in the same set you have the versatility.
dgbson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #31

I carry 2 flashlites- I place them on the ground on each side of the campsite where I want the rear of the trailer to be and just back in keeping at least one of the lites in my sight- A little practice and you'll be an expert- JMHO- DD
Old 09-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
The OP is asking about backing in after dark into a first time campsite W/O a spotter. In such a case, I again say DON'T DO IT!!
In a perfect world, that would be good advice but we don't live in a perfect world and often people will not have a choice on what time they arrive at a destination.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
In a perfect world, that would be good advice but we don't live in a perfect world and often people will not have a choice on what time they arrive at a destination.
You keep repeating "in a perfect world", and somehow seem to imply that doing something that is not recommended is "OK". If the OP was an experienced RV'er [states they are newbies], were familiar with the CG and Campsite [not likely given new to camping], had previous experience with backing a trailer [not indicated], and was desiring to perform the nite procedure without the aid of a competent spotter; this is like asking for suggestions on how to land a plane without any previous knowledge or training.

This is for sure an "imperfect world" and we are sometimes faced with doing what we have to do in an unplanned difficult situation but the key that you are ignoring here is that avoiding getting into that difficult situation in which even an experienced RV'er would take pause, is that this OP is not experienced, does not have a spotter, and is attempting to set up at a campsite that he has never seen before.

In a perfect world or even an imperfect world, this is a situation that Can be avoided in any number of ways. As a new pilot you are not going to leave late and fly into a storm or set yourself up for a night landing on an unfamiliar remote airstrip. While landing your TT is not life threatening like landing a private plane, doing it under the circumstances of this thread has an extremely high probability of ruining your weekend and doing significant damage to your shiny new TT.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #34

QUOTE: Need Ideas on Backing Into Space at Night

If you must back in at night time

Drove tractor trailer for many years and in that time I have had to back in many loading docks, driveway and alleys at 2:00 am with no lighting at all, pitch black. I would walk it first with a flashlight, then if it was an older trailer I would remove the clips and lens covers temporarily on the brake light and turn signal and put the four way flasher on and keep taping the brake for brighter light as I was backing in.
When I purchased my own Tractor I mounted two clear lens 12 volt spot lights facing to the rear one on each side of my running boards with a switch in the cab. Worked for me.
Note - Both Rear tail lights on my RV takes two seconds to remove lens with a flat head screw driver for brighter light !!! Hopes this helps
Attached Thumbnails
MY 2 CENTS.jpg  
Whistler61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #35

I will check the area first then put a flashlight at the stopping point of the trailer on the driver's side. Also it helps to use the 4-ways to give additional lighting.
kingranch2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #36

I agree w light.
I recommend a battery tool /light set up. I.e. I have a ryobi battery drill for jacks, but the battery will do a light, spotlight, small vacuum cleaner etc. I'm charging em all weekend long. I place ithe light by the site electric box like a beacon n steer it there. I can't trust the missus haha!
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #37

I turn on my awning light before backing up. At least it lights up 1 side of the camper. Hubby is at the back of camper letting me know which way to turn.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

I agree completely. Just walk around with a flashlight, watch your mirrors, and stop as many times as you need to.

These aren't airplanes so this isnt that complicated.

2017 JayFlight SLX 245RLSW

2003 Ford Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke
Mountain Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #39

Installed my backup lights. Have attached a few pics in case anyone interested. I picked them up at tractor supply for $10 each. They are LED, 600 lumens, weatherproof and fold flat against the side of the trailer (lens down) when not in use, which will be almost all the time. Will wire them into the battery power with a switch up front to turn on when needed. Again, hope to really never need them BUT, in the event I find myself needing more light to back up these will shine down both sides of the trailer with a wide beam. Sorry about the pic rotation. I have uploaded them twice and each time it rotates them this way even though they are correct on my pc.
Attached Thumbnails
camera1.jpg   camera2.jpg   camera3.jpg   camera4.jpg   camera5.jpg  

suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote