Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #1

Need Ideas on Backing Into Space at Night

We've made about 6 trips now and I've gotten much more comfortable, and better I think, at maneuvering, backing up, knowing where I can get in and out for gas, bathroom breaks, etc. My wife is not physically able to be a spotter for me when we get to the camp site and has to stay in the TV until I get the TT in position, level and set up. I can then help her into the TT. I've mounted a good camera on the back of the TT with decent night vision but after last night I know I need a bit more help backing into a space at night. It was pitch dark, lots of trees near the space and a tricky fit for the doors to open onto the pad area and the stabilizer jacks to hit the ground or pad in a good spot and the slide out to have enough room to not hit the power outlet pole or water feed plus - the mosquitoes were in full force. It was rough. I have the Andersen levelers and a levelmatepro unit which has helped a lot.

Would appreciate tips on how others back into spaces at night with almost no light and a tight fit. Lights on the sides of the TT shining back? On the bumper? Perhaps a set of red marker lights to put on the ground to provide a reference for where to back into? I'm thinking of ideas to give me some visual assistance when backing in. The rear camera helps a lot but night vision cameras and the wide view are not enough to fit into a tight camp site and end up in the right spot without a lot of in and out of the TV, back and forth, etc.

suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

I keep a couple of old 6v lanterns in the camper, they are heavy enough to stay put. Shine one "down" the pad, parallel to the pad. This beam helps to align the trailer. A second one Beaming at the "stop" location.

Remember the G.O.A.L. Is to Get Out And Look.

Keep it simple. Don't mess with flood lights mounted to the bumper, that are wired using the reverse circuit in your 7-way plug, so they only come on when you put the truck into reverse. It would be awesome, but seems overkill.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS

2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Team

The cg we are currently in has small cones with a solar powered light on top to assist you in finding and staying off the concrete pads. Each site has has four and at night they are very helpful and fully visible day or night.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

Wow, those are really nice. Seems easy enough to fab a set of 4 of those with a light on top. I put a flashlight on the ground last night that at least gave me one reference point. I was in and out of the truck about 10 times and each time I let in about 100 more mosquitoes. For now I'm at least going to pick up a few more of those small led lights they sell at the counter of most stores these days. I do like the idea from ctbailey re having something shining down the path on each side.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Site Team

I looked at them closer and they appear to be home made. Small cone with a solar walkway light. They put out a lot of light after dark.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I looked at them closer and they appear to be home made. Small cone with a solar walkway light. They put out a lot of light after dark.
Wow, that is a simple and great idea!
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #7

Does the cone glow a bit as well?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

You can't go wrong if you have the time and money to add lights to the rear bumper. Carrying lights along works as well. However, you'll never get better than what CTBaily suggested....Get Out and Look. Lights marking the way won't tell you if you're close to a tree branch, about to hit a pole, etc. I carry a flashlight with me and always back up a little and then get out and look again. Saved me lots of trouble.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #9

The solar light with safety cone is a FANTASTIC idea!

But consider this: You show up to the site at night, your lights have been in storage since the last time you used the trailer, storage compartment is dark, so when you go to put the lights out, you have no light. I would consider a battery powered solution using the same or a similar concept.

Or if you want to keep it REALLY simple, get a pack of snap-lights (glow-sticks). When you get to your site, snap a few and put them out as reference points.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

All good ideas. I do get out and look before I start and often while backing in. Some sort of light assist would help minimize the frequency.