Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #1

Need large amount of Leveling Blocks to level

How does one add more leveling blocks underneath the tongue jack to level the trailer if there is a big front to back angulation of a campsite like the on in the pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway1.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #2

wow, maybe look for a better place to park. That is a hard one. Welcome to the forum though and maybe someone has a good answer. Hopefully, that is just for loading up to go camping. Do you have some place else to store it during non use?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #3

Cribbing. Exactly what you are doing.
A pyramid of wooden blocks is the best you can do on severely un-level ground.

Personally, I've got a couple of pieces of 6"x6" when the TT gets parked on the side of the barn with 'good drainage'.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #4

lots of cribbing and make sure you have four wheel chocks.

I like to put oversized blocking down low and pyramid it up as I go, to ensure a good footing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

You could buy a house with a longer driveway!!
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

The pic is not my house and trailer but will be going soon to some state parks that i know aren't the best as far as level ground. Just curious how did they achieved putting so many blocks under the tongue?

How do you add more blocks to the tongue when the maximum extension height is reached? Do you let the stabilizer hold the weight of the trailer and retract the tongue jack then add blocks?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #7

I crib under the "A" frame as close as possible to the tongue jack, raise the jack, put more boards under the jack post and go again. I wouldn't trust my stabilizer jacks to hold up and I'd be afraid that when the stabilizers do fail they would fail so fast I wouldn't be able to get out of the way.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb4life View Post
...snip...
How do you add more blocks to the tongue when the maximum extension height is reached? Do you let the stabilizer hold the weight of the trailer and retract the tongue jack then add blocks?
DO NOT use the stabilizers to take the (partial) weight of the trailer.

Use the tow vehicle:

When you get to an obviously un-level place, level left-to right while attached, as usual.

You'll have to make an educated guess on how much cribbing you'll need. Stack to the totally retraced tongue jack, if needed. Lift of the tow and get it clear. If you've maxed out the jack, stack cribbing under the tip of the hitch or both sides of the tongue near the trailer's frame and lower onto that. Retract the jack, add cribbing and re-try.

Before heading out, extend the jack to maximum and see how much is available. You'll be surprised. Especially with the foot at full extension.

And proud of it!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

I don't really like building the tongue up too high...kinda sketchy. Too much shift there for my book..
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I don't really like building the tongue up too high...kinda sketchy. Too much shift there for my book..
Neither do I. But when the trailer has to be level ($$$fridge$$), we have to make some sacrifices.

That photo is clearly an extreme case. Even the stabilizers have cribbing under them.

Shall we get started on blocking a public sidewalk? The hitch is protruding into the street as well!

And proud of it!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

I saw the same thing (looked like that Outback) in a driveway in my area recently except they had ALL OF THE WEIGHT of the trailer on the jacks and the tongue jack was RETRACTED. I was just waiting for that trailer to come flying down that driveway into the road, it was down right scary looking. At least their driveway was long enough to stay off the sidewalk/road. lol I wonder if its even legal to park like that Outlack is.
Campfire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #12

I'm sure we have all, at some point, taken all the weight off the tongue when getting the stabilizers good and "snug", assuming you have the scissor type of stabilizers. They will support the weight if you have to put more cribbing under the tongue. No different than the scissor jack in your car that you use to lift your car to change your tire. Treat it the same way. No one inside the trailer while it is up on jacks so there is no movement while on the jacks.
Best solution is to find a better spot to set up, where you don't need that much lift on the front.
Okay, I have my fire suit on...

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
Site Team

I wouldn't say that you need a "fire suit" but I can say that I have never and would never trust the STABILIZER jacks to hold the full weight of my TT. Just my opinion though.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #14

I was in a campground one time and saw a TT sitting on firewood logs stacked end to end. Wish I took a pic.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #15

In the happy world of forums, the world is perfect. Unfortunately, the real world sometimes isn't so perfect, and we have to do things that don't quite fit in with the perfect world scenario. I do know from many different experiences that I have encountered over the years that many things are possible, and really not dangerous, if done in a cautious manner. They just don't fit the perfect world mold. While most folks in this forum (and most any other forum) world will never admit to doing something that the instructions say not to do, I don't mind admitting and sharing what I have found in my imperfect world. If I try something and it doesn't work out so well, I will own up to that as well, and share what I have learned. The world is losing it's ability to use common sense, and just strictly going by what we are told or read. I was raised to think for myself and solve my own problems, and I still try to apply that to everyday issues when they pop up.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

No need for a fire suit, just stand back and admire the buckled siding in your regular clothes. Each stabilizer can support much more than 25% of the weight of the trailer. But they are mounted at the edge of the frame. Very peculiar and unstable torque loads if you don't balance the load on the front stabilizers just right when you withdraw the tongue jack.

I'll admit to having done it too. Just to adjust the pad under the jack. But I was very concerned and listened to every creak and groan. Watched for any instability...

And proud of it!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I was in a campground one time and saw a TT sitting on firewood logs stacked end to end. Wish I took a pic.
That is a scary mental picture
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
In the happy world of forums, the world is perfect. Unfortunately, the real world sometimes isn't so perfect, and we have to do things that don't quite fit in with the perfect world scenario. I do know from many different experiences that I have encountered over the years that many things are possible, and really not dangerous, if done in a cautious manner. They just don't fit the perfect world mold. While most folks in this forum (and most any other forum) world will never admit to doing something that the instructions say not to do, I don't mind admitting and sharing what I have found in my imperfect world. If I try something and it doesn't work out so well, I will own up to that as well, and share what I have learned. The world is losing it's ability to use common sense, and just strictly going by what we are told or read. I was raised to think for myself and solve my own problems, and I still try to apply that to everyday issues when they pop up.

Very true! But I've never put my equipment or myself (as well as others) in harm's way for sake of ease or conveinence. There's things that you may say, "Well...maybe" then there's things that make you say, "Not on your life." Just as well find a better way.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #19

We used to do this all the time while NASCAR camping. retract the front jack with the front stabilizers down, put more blocks in, then extend the front jack. Repeat as necessary until it is level. I have personally had the front of the tongue at shoulder height to get it level with no problems on a 27BH. Just takes time. If you are really worried, block the frame, but either way it can be done. Like the other poster said, I am now putting on my firesuit. A lot of the stuff we all used to do is now considered horrible.
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
We used to do this all the time while NASCAR camping...

Which NASCAR track has campsites that are this out of level? Texas Motor Speedway doesn't give us much for our money, but they do give us level campsites.

Just curious...
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote