Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #1

Need to know!!

Hi guys,
My question is very simple. I'm looking at other TT to know about quality, service from the factory, etc. I'm thinking to replace my Jayco 185 for another Jayco 23, Coachmen Apex or a Keystone Passport, all 23. I know Jayco product and there service, but I really need to know about the other two. Thank you all and have a great camping season.

Dan

2011 Tacoma
2013 Swift 185
Danmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #2

I sold my Jayco for a Keystone Cougar. It's a piece of junk. I have a new Jayco on order. My previous Jayco did have a couple things wrong with it but if you compare it to my Cougar, its night and day. When I was at the dealer, I saw a brand new Keystone sitting there that just came in on trade. My salesman said the person who bought it stated it was junk. BTW, this guy sells Keystone RVs. You should see the way the back wall on my trailer bows out. Keystone doesn't laminate all exterior fiberglass walls. Only the sides. I could go on for a while about issues with it. Never had a Coachmen. They look nice. Personally, I loved my Jayco. I only looked at Jayco's to replace my Cougar. All of the little things they did that no one else does. However, I am starting to read many horror stories about the newer models and starting to get worried. Wish I would have kept my last Jayco. It was a X23J and it was great! Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #3

I can only add that I had 2 mid 90's trailers. One a pop up and one a light weight 5th wheel. I just bought a 23RB yesterday. After a year or so of kicking tires, reading online and magazines there are two brands that I read little complaints about. Jayco and Arctic Fox.

I have read lots of complaints with Keystone and Heartland RV seeming to be the most.

I can't comment on the other brands you mention only that our Jayco dealer has been great as well as Jayco's customer service. For this reason we stuck with Jayco.

We really wanted an Arctic Fox but truck couldn't handle the one we wanted and the cost. Perhaps in the future I will give them a try but for now it's Jayco.
bnk190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #4

Do a Google search for "Jayco travel trailer complaints", then do the same search for each of the other brands you are considering. That's what I did before almost buying a Forest River "Surveyor". I think you'll be amazed at the results! That's what I did before I purchased my trailer. I found many more complaints for the other brands, and many more instances where the other manufacturers ignored the complaints until the rv was out of warranty. Then, the unhappy owner would get a contact saying "Sorry, but your one year warranty has expired and there's nothing we can do. Please take you (S.O.B.) trailer to your local dealer for out-of-warranty repairs on your dime." Jayco's 2-year warranty and their willingness to cover repairs even after an rv was several months out of warranty were what led me to Jayco, and my Eagle 266-RKS. No problems after 6 months of ownership!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #5

Thank you guys, some times you need to hear it from the right source or a place that you can trust, like here, thanks again.

Dan

2011 Tacoma
2013 Swift 185
Danmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #6

I can tell you this much, the Coachmen that we had was nothing but trouble, I mean a real hunk of junk! And it was new when we got it.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

We are first time owners of a Jayco 28DSBH. We did a lot of research and seriously considered purchasing a Jayco 23 ft. hybrid. We looked at the Passport because they have a bunkhouse model and we found that the quality of the Passport did not compare to the Jayco. I asked the Keystone dealer how the Passport compared to some other brand campers and he was pretty critical. Because Jayco was a serious consideration I asked about the Jayco and he said he used to sell Jayco and they build a very good camper and that was all he said.

I have learned in a few short months of owning a camper and being a member of the Jayco Forum that they all have problems, like anything else you buy. I suggest sticking with Jayco.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote