Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #21

I've never had a problem either. But the stock tires only ever had to get me from the dealership to home. New wheels (17.5") and tires (G114's) put on when I got home.

I've got a shed full of stock wheels and 16" brand new tires if anybody wants....lol.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #22

Finally a rational thread about TT tires. AND this coming from someone who had an explosive blowout last Nov on my 3 year old oem White Hawk. My prior experience [over 30 years and 2 popups and 2 TT's] would lead me to believe that all the China bomb followers are over stating the problems with OEM tires on their TT's. The blow out I am pretty sure was the result of hitting a sharp pavement break at an unmarked transition from old pavement to a recently paved section. It was a tire on the front axle. The failure occurred about 200 miles later after 2 or 3 heat cycles. After thinking thru the incident I feel pretty confident that the same failure could have easily occurred on a new replacement rather than my 2 1/2 year oem tires.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #23

Jayco factory rep told me the old tires, pre Goodyear, were actually hankook tires. Anyone hear this? He insinuated that many tire problems were caused by the owners.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #24

Ah yes the old blame it on the owner justification.

1. The Chinese tires are of lesser quality.
2. Check the weights and you will find that you are operating these tires at or near the maximums.
3. Operate a lower quality product at or near its maximum capacity and failures will occur. (Not just tires)
4. A properly engineered tire should be able to withstand the odd curb or pothole. These are road hazards. There is no point in having a tire that can't handle hitting a stone.
5. How is it that your tow vehicle tires seem to be able to handle the same roads without blowing up under you?
6. Even good tires need proper care and feeding.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #25

This thread caused me to go out and replace Montblanc's tires.

The truck is at the tire shop getting $800 worth of new rubber right now.

(Plus an overdue NYS inpsection )

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Ah yes the old blame it on the owner justification.

1. The Chinese tires are of lesser quality.
2. Check the weights and you will find that you are operating these tires at or near the maximums.
3. Operate a lower quality product at or near its maximum capacity and failures will occur. (Not just tires)
4. A properly engineered tire should be able to withstand the odd curb or pothole. These are road hazards. There is no point in having a tire that can't handle hitting a stone.
5. How is it that your tow vehicle tires seem to be able to handle the same roads without blowing up under you?
6. Even good tires need proper care and feeding.

Great comments. Yes, I always wondered why the truck tires never blew up and trailer did. Seems like a stupid thing by the rv builders putting marginal tires on their products and then have to deal with subsequent fall out.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #27

This is a thread about lucky people...... I was a lucky people for 6 years and quite a few thousands of miles... then... not do lucky...... Tire pressure checked regularly, speed in check, etc. Crap tires on a new trailer are still crap tires...... regardless of what the sales people say...
Old 04-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #28

Weight. Don't have more weight in camper than they can handle. It builds heat in the rim area quicker than anything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
Nope. We just got a 2017 Jayflight 28RLS last September. It came with Rainier tires.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
It was a change that Jayco made half way through the 2017 model year. My 2017 264BHW does not have the goodyears, but the one's on the lot now do. The price tag on them has been increased as well.

2017 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW
2014 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3L V8
acfirst05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #30

Last flat tire I had was on my snowmobile trailer back in the mid 1990's. No flats on the 3 travel trailers I have had since 2001. 20,000+ miles on my Starcraft's Tow Max tires, and we run fully loaded at 8000 lbs. Tires are rated for more, but don't remember the weights. Starting the 4th year on the tires, will probably replace them next year.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #31

I never had an issue on the road with my Tow Max Tires but I caught the bubbles and blown belts prior to a trip.

They had one season and about 3K on them before loosing 2 of them while sitting.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #32

Never had one problem with a camper tire and never replaced one.
DRbilllZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
So, is the key to success tire pressure, speed control and checking them all the time?
Yes.
The tires are cheap, but even higher quality tires fail when operators do not properly inflate and monitor psi and/or improperly load the trailer, and we all know speed kills in many ways. We had a set of Kenda C load that were undersized (as was the axle) on our last unit. They wore quick and funky no matter what I did to care for them. I moved to a Kenda D load, and they wore really well for 5,000 before we sold the trailer.

On our Feather, we have the basic Rainier C loads. We have 3,500 miles on them. I inspect the tires and suspension, check cold psi, and check the lug nuts before every departure. We drive 55-60 mph, sometimes 65 for brief spells when needed. We avoid bad roads and slow way down for bumps, curves, construction zones, and road damage. I keep 'em clean and treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant. So far the Rainiers look pretty good.

I am pulling the wheels next month to perform a full inspection, cleaning, bearing service, and brake adjustment (as needed). I want to get through this season with them and move to a D load next spring. They will (Lord willing) have about 7,000 on them at that point. They will probably still be in decent to good shape, but I want the more substantial tire on the unit. IMO, RV manufacturers operate too close to the margins with many of their design, construction, and material processes and choices. The C load tires are good example. It's all about cost. When I buy a trailer, I know that I will be replacing tires after a season or two.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #34

I had two previous trailers for a period of about 1 year each. I know the first one had GY Marathons that were built in Canada. Not sure what tires the 2nd one had on it. I didn't have either long enough to really test the tires.

However, my current trailer is a 2012, which I bought in July 2013 used. It had Chinese GY Marathons. But they were already getting old. Skyline put some fairly old tires on it.

I had to replace one of them a month after driving over a nail that damaged the side wall. So I decided to replace all four on the ground, with Maxxis M8008's. They were on the trailer for 44 months, and over 30k miles. I like to use my trailer for traveling. Took it from Virginia to the beaches of Los Angeles in Feb and Mar of 2014, over 7.9k miles on that trip alone.

While not a fanatic about tires, I do regularly check the air pressure, especially after sitting for a while, and I regularly drive about 63 mph on interstates, and 55 mph when on the "blue" highways.

But on Mar 31, when on the way home from Florida, I happened the front right tire looked odd when I stopped for an "emergency" pit stop. Fortunately 1) I was on US15 and 2) the parking lot I stopped in was cover in a white dust. Walking back to the trailer, I noticed the front right tire looked funny. Closer examination showed the center of the tread was buldged out. The right side of the tread was feathered some but was not now touching the road surface. The left side of the tread was worn smooth, and even cupped a little.

I was also lucky that this part of the tire was facing forward. Another quarter turn, and it would have been facing the ground and I wouldn't have seen it. The rest of the tire looked normal with the full tread touching the ground.

The tire guy where I put on replacements, looked at it and said the belts broke.

I was very lucky. On the interstate, or even US 15, driving at 63 or 55, if that tire had exploded, I would have had a very damaged trailer. And it was as question of how soon, not whether it was going to explode.

Even quality tires can go bad.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #35

I have a 2013 30DSRE bought new and have never had a problem. BUT... I check and correct air pressure before EVERY trip without exception. I keep an air compressor in the bed of my truck so I can do this anywhere. Also, I put new tires in the trailer every two years. We travel cross country and put around 10,000 miles or more on the trailer in two years. It costs me about $400 to install 4 new tires and for $200 per year as "insurance" it seems with it to me. Another thing is getting the wheel bearings repacked at least every two years as well.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #36

Checking pressures before moving the trailer every time, watching speed, checking every pit stop, etc are all good measures. It almost seems that those preaching this mantra are implying that anyone that has tire problems doesn't take those measures. I can assure you all that those measures, while essential to safety and longevity of your tires, is no guarantee that you won't be on the side of the road changing a flat. I'm living proof. I do all of those things. The fact is that trailer tires, especially those installed by the factory, are not necessarily the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #37

You can do everything by the book and they still bubble blow and leak. 30 years ago my tires lasted for years (back and forth the USA every summer 10-12,000 miles). In the last seven years, every tire I have had has turned out to be garbage.
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #38

Amazing, do you use it. I mean seriously do you like drive 50 miles for a trip?
Old 04-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #39

So true. I keep speed to 55 and check pressure every travel day. four years ago I changed out my tires even though they looked good, but were 4 or five years old. Brand new tires, one blew at 65 miles, another at 250, another at 600miles and the last at 900. I now have a Jayco 375 BHS. Had two blow outs, found have dozen with bubbles. In Sept 2016 I bought 5 news tires, they have less than 500 miles on them. Got the trailer out yesterday and when inspecting it found one tire with 4 bubbles 1 on the outside and 3 on the inside. All brands suck. I put 4-6 thousand miles a year o the tires and change every year, still worry.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Checking pressures before moving the trailer every time, watching speed, checking every pit stop, etc are all good measures. It almost seems that those preaching this mantra are implying that anyone that has tire problems doesn't take those measures. I can assure you all that those measures, while essential to safety and longevity of your tires, is no guarantee that you won't be on the side of the road changing a flat. I'm living proof. I do all of those things. The fact is that trailer tires, especially those installed by the factory, are not necessarily the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Not at all. Because even though I take those measures I still don't trust my tires either and swap them every two years. I know these trailer tires are mostly junk. BUT... I know a lot of RVers do not check their tires every trip and I do think that this leads to far more blow outs than would otherwise happen. At least checking every trip you might notice a problem like a bubbles tire before it blows. With due diligence the risk is still there but without it the odds are so much worse. There are RVers that seem to think they can ride the tires like a car and only check pressures every once in a while rather than every trip. And some think they can long distance travel on the Interstate going 75-80 mph on tires rated for 65 mph.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote