Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2017, 04:14 AM   #41

Tire problems I've had in northern states = 0, I can remember. Tire problems I've had in southern states, more than I can count on two hands. The prove is laying all over the shoulder of the roads if you have any doubts.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:17 AM   #42

I saw TT in a median of 75 with the nasty drivers side damage to the TT and it made me think of this posr.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I saw TT in a median of 75 with the nasty drivers side damage to the TT and it made me think of this posr.

Post not posr

Old 06-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #44

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Never had a tire issue???

I full time in a 16K lb Jayco North Point 377 RLBH and after 2 years and 22K hazard free towed miles, we finally were confronted with our first tire hazard last Memorial Day morning, leaving a state park in TX. After crossing a very rough RR track very slowly, and turning right, a 7/16" x 1.5" bolt entered the right rear trailer tire. I have a TireMinder TPMS installed with 12 sensors total(7 on the dually pickup, 5 on camper) including spare tires. No alarms just yet. My wife was following me and phoned for me to pull over as she saw puffs of brown dust/smoke coming out the right rear of the camper. 200 yards later and this (see pics below) was fully seated in the G load rated Sailun S637 tire, found on top in the wheel well. Not much air coming out, but the wife could hear it. After 200 yds, it was quite hot to the touch. I went back to the truck to find the TireMinder had alerted a slow leak in that tire! These tires are the best tires for the money. $600/set of 4, installed.

Fortunately, we found an empty level parking lot at a public library to pull off. And for the post, I used a 12 ton low profile bottle jack on the axle plate. Worked like a charm. I had a Porter Cable impact drill which removed the lugs no problem.

I took it to a nearby Walmart (it's Mem Day), they said no can do on fixing...too large a puncture. The 2 yr stock Rainier spare fared perfectly for 956 miles to Bloomington IN, where I found Monroe Co tire shop that specializes in truck tires and repair. They fixed it inside 30 min. for $20, using a plug and thick heavy duty large patch on the inside. They had a new Sailun on hand waiting in case, for $175. They've fixed worse, but the fact is if it'd been the thinner factory E rated Rainier, or any tire on the pickup, they'd said no to a puncture that size. The Sailun has twice as much rubber as they weight 2x the Rainier.

I towed the rig 192 miles to where I'm at now with no problems. It held air perfectly as the other three. That Sailun had 13k miles and tread depth comparison to the new one looked the same! Cudos to that shop for saving me $150!

With the Sailun, you need 16" rims. Toss the Rainiers and get piece of mind. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1685.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	40596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	40597
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #45

Tire failures are like auto accidents, some have them, some don't. My guess, statistically, tire failures and auto accidents are less likely to happen to those who put an emphasis on safety.

Don't blame the OP for asking the question. Doubt he's going to get an accurate answer to his question though.

Is it possible those who have experienced a tire failure are more likely to respond to this type of query vs. those who have not . . . or vice versa?
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #46

Tire Issues

I find it rather annoying that people want to blame the end user for tire issues. I carry a compressor and always have the pressure set as called for. I check pressure at every morning before traveling. I never exceed the recommended speed limits. In spite of this I had constant blow outs and bubbles on the side walls. I had a 30' Forrest River for 5 years, so I changed the tires and had 3 blow outs in the next week. I bought a Jayco 375BHFS and had multiple blow outs. When I called Jayco they said it was a common complaint. Decades ago I criss crossed the country and never had a problem.

On two sets of tires I brought them to the dealer. In one case they replaced the tires as defective. In another the importer paid for the tires and the damage resulting from the blow outs.

If you have had good luck with tires, it may be in part because you have been lucky. I'm sure that some issues are due to improper monitoring and speed, but that does not apply to everyone.

Last year I had the rims changed to larger rims and had LT tires installed. I know this is a controversial move, but I had had it with the ST's. I keep them inflated at 110PSI. Two cross country trips so far with no issues. I also installed tire heat and pressure monitors.

375 BHFS (2015)
2018 GMC Denali 3500 Diesel
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #47

I built a utility trailer in '99. Went cheap and installed Carlisle Sure Trail tires. Use it to haul canoes in the summer, and snowmobiles in the winter. Store the trailer outdoors, without covering the tires, check the pressure annually. Never had a blow out or a flat in 19 years.

Bought a pop up camper in '02. Also came with Carlisle tires. Store it next to the utility trailer, same conditions, same annual pressure check. No flats or blow outs. Sold it this spring.

Bought an X23B this spring with Goodyear Marathons, haven't had a blow out yet, but I've had to add air to one or more tires four times in three months.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #48

Comparing apple to oranges

I have 2 utility trailers and a boat trailer and never had a flat. Never had a flat with my Viking pop up, never had a flat with my first hard side that was heavy and traveled from coast to coast on several occasions. Almost 40 years of trailering and all the issues I’ve had are in the last 5 years. After numerous problems with my last trailer tires I did go to the Good year tires and had better luck,then went to the fifth wheel. Problems started all over. Good luck with the. X23B.
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #49

We are new, so probably not a good sampling for your research.

We have had two trips since purchasing our trailer in February (2018). The first was just an overnight shake-down trip, and the second was a week-long trip about 300 miles from home.

After all the reading on this forum and a few others, we are trying our best to give it that ounce of prevention.

We check our tire pressure the night before leaving for a trip (since we tend to leave before the sun comes up), and we check just prior to leaving if it is light outside. We check tire pressure before heading home or changing campgrounds.

We also keep the tires covered while it is parked, both in storage and if we are going to be camped for more than a few nights somewhere. We do have mostly shade at our storage facility, but if the larger units on either side of us are on vacation, our tires can get the full sun.

So far, no tire issues. However, we have a brand new trailer with brand new Goodyear tires.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #50

Buying a TPMS was the best move I have made. It has saved me from losing a tire twice now. Both were low pressure alerts because of a bolt in the tread and the other was a thick chuck of wire. Must have picked them both up on the highway. Was able to stop safely and put on the spare with no issues. Prior to buying the TPMS I did have a blow out on the highway that took out the black water tank valve.......Yep the tank was about 3/4 full...... yep it looked like a brown cloud behind the camper.......yep there was some pretty pissed off cars behind me......yep it was as nasty as your imagining it to be.....yep I had to creep down the shoulder for about a mile just to get away from the stink..... rotten way to learn a lesson...GET A TPMS!! money well spent
Old 06-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj49 View Post
I find it rather annoying that people want to blame the end user for tire issues . . .
Are you saying an end-user should never be blamed for their own tire issues?

Granted, nobody has any control over genuine luck (both bad and good). But, we do have control over (and should take responsibility for) our choices in tires and how we maintain them.

If one believes they're making "good" tire decisions, and still continue to have tire issues, then, yes, they have the option to just chalk it up to bad luck (perceived or real). Or . . . they can make an attempt to take some responsibility for (and control over) their situation . . . by taking time to scrutinize their decision-making process . . . to hopefully determine whether their past decisions have truly been in their own best interest.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote