Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #61

Amazing how that popcorn smoke helped those brakes.....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #62

Gawd luv Jayco Dealer tech's, BUT, if it's a problem requiring specific service knowlege don't go to the dealer! I'm so very glad we couldn't make it to the dealer due to distance. I hate that we had the "lot" from Dexter with the defective brakes but so glad that Dexter worked with us personally to resolve the issue. We were extremely happy to watch someone working on the brakes that could fix them and answer our questions. Another plus was that the guy also noticed that my daughters suv's rotars had grooving on them and suggested she get it in under warranty because it could cost quite a bit to replace the rotors a few miles more down the road
Old 03-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #63

2010 electric brake issues

I am the 2nd. owner of a jayco flight 24rks and my wife and I love the camper. Here is my issue. I replaced my voyager controller with a prodigy 2 and was always getting a n.c. readout. I was getting the correct voltage to the camper, but no amp readings. I disconnected the truck from the camper and activated the break away switch. I was getting 12V but still no amps. By this time I had replaced all connectors. The electromagnets are rated at 3.5--5 ohms. All four of mine were measuring 10--12 M ohms. Four new magnets fixed the problem. I don't want or expect any warranty claim but I do want to know what could possibly cause all four magnets to fail, so that it doesn't happen again. The jayco doesn't have fuses at the magnets like some campers do, so I put in 5A fuses at each magnet. I talked to 3 technicians at Dexter and several service men. No one has ever heard of this before. Any suggestions??
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #64

I can't answer your brake magnet question but I can welcome to the JOF, daben44. Hang in there, someone will comment on your issue.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daben44 View Post
I am the 2nd. owner of a jayco flight 24rks and my wife and I love the camper. Here is my issue. I replaced my voyager controller with a prodigy 2 and was always getting a n.c. readout. I was getting the correct voltage to the camper, but no amp readings. I disconnected the truck from the camper and activated the break away switch. I was getting 12V but still no amps. By this time I had replaced all connectors. The electromagnets are rated at 3.5--5 ohms. All four of mine were measuring 10--12 M ohms. Four new magnets fixed the problem. I don't want or expect any warranty claim but I do want to know what could possibly cause all four magnets to fail, so that it doesn't happen again. The jayco doesn't have fuses at the magnets like some campers do, so I put in 5A fuses at each magnet. I talked to 3 technicians at Dexter and several service men. No one has ever heard of this before. Any suggestions??
To get more possible exposure try posting this question in either the Travel trailer forum or the Jayco problems and issues forum or just ask and we can move this post for you there in a new thread. Sometimes old threads like this may not get much attention. BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #66

So my 28BHS is going in for a roof inspection, bearings and brakes before the season while it is still under warranty. I noticed the brake squeak describe in this thread from the day I picked it up. So I took a long shot and contacted Connie at Dexter Axle before heading to the appointement later this month and through a few emails about my axle info and purchase date, Dexter is drop shipping 4 full brake replacements and seals along with covering all the labor! I'll have the drums inspected once they are off. Dexter may have problems but they are sure standing behind their product. Thanks everyone for the info in this thread and forum.
Prodigy Brakes
Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #67

I dropped off my 2010 Jayco 22FB for a few minor items, but most importantly the break squeal before my warranty expires in a few months.

The dealer called back a couple of days later and said the break assemblies are really dirty and the bearings need repacking, but no worn or damaged parts. They never contacted Jayco despite me printing off this forum thread when I dropped the tailer off and explaining that Jayco/Dexter were aware of this issue.

They want $400+ for repacking/cleaning the assemblies. I told them no, that some of that work is duplicate for what Jayco/Dexter break squeal issue. They said they will submit a claim with Jayco and get back to me.

I highly suspect the claim will be denied if all they are going to do is submit that the assemblies are dirty causing the breaks not to return correctly after each application. I'm a little muffed that they assemblies would be so dirty after only 2,500 KM on it, but I'm in no position to argue as I have not seen them.

Question: How hard is it to clean seals and repack the bearings? (I'm not sure if they are E-Z lube or not.) I have packed bearings in past years on my own cars, but I'm wondering if it's harder or requires special tools (presses) to get the bearings out?

If the dealer comes back denying my squeal warranty repair, I'll probably just pull it out and contact Dexter my self.

This is a dealer in the Calgary Alberta area.

Comments?

EDIT: Did some more searching, looks like bearings are easy, at least with the non-EZ lube type.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #68

Jayco claims they have no idea of the problem and denied all warranty claims with the brakes. Everything had to be done through Dexter Axle. Have your dealer call them since they cover parts and labor for two years. There was an earlier post that gave the info for Connie at Dexter, she takes care of the claims.

found it, here is the info

Connie Massey at Dexter.... cmassie@dexteraxle.com
Prodigy Brakes
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #69

It will be interesting to see how this is handled now that Lippert bought Dexter. Connie is very sweet and handled this issue for me very well, after numerous runarounds and baloney from the dealer service dept.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
It will be interesting to see how this is handled now that Lippert bought Dexter. Connie is very sweet and handled this issue for me very well, after numerous runarounds and baloney from the dealer service dept.
My understanding is the Lippert bought the RV frame business, not the Axel assemblies. There is some overlap there however.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #71

Hopefully we have the updated stuff on our trailer. From the factory 3 of our brakes were full of axle grease and everything was replaced.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #72

Took the brakes and the trailer to the dealer, they were less than happy to do the work almost like they didn't want the money. Anyway when the drums were pulled they were all scored and Dexter sent 4 new drums to be installed along with the new brakes.
Prodigy Brakes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo59097 View Post
Took the brakes and the trailer to the dealer, they were less than happy to do the work almost like they didn't want the money. Anyway when the drums were pulled they were all scored and Dexter sent 4 new drums to be installed along with the new brakes.
Yup, same w/ us, except our non-RV dealer local trailer sales/service folks were glad to have the work, and we were glad to give it to them as the dealer couldn't figure it out after multiple inspections and my showing them this thread twice. Duh...
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

Closed Thread