Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

New 23MB Experience

So instead of doing nothing but absorbing all the great info on this forum, I thought it about time I actually provided something back!

Picked up our brand new 2016 23MB w elite package two weeks back, so thought people might find it useful to share some of the things that we found. We got the MB as it was the lightest/smallest unit we could find that still had the dual bunk beds for our girls and their friends.

First off, TV. Plan was to use our 2013 Audi Q7 with the tow package as the tow vehicle. Depending on which posts I read, I alternated between horror that I'd made a huge mistake, and "nothing to worry about". Reality seems closer to the latter. GVWR is 6889, max payload for people/cargo is 1279, towing capacity is 6600, max tongue weight is 660. Couldn't find any reference to a GCWR. Dealer installed an 800lb Equalizer e2 WDH. Trailer weight, with full propane, as per yellow sticker weighed 4669. Dealer added 2 batteries, and we added about 450lbs of "stuff". Total weight was thus 5219 lbs. I jury rigged up a tongue weight scale following instructions I read on the forum, and found the tongue weight was ~640. So bottom line is, as everyone here has said, my limiting factor was payload on the SUV - 600lbs of people/luggage/dogs + TW = 1240 - very close to payload limit. My TW is like 13% of the total trailer weight, which is apparently just about right?

On the 30 mile drive home from the dealer, I guess it towed "fine". We are upgrading from a pop-up, so I won't lie and say it was stress free. That thing looked freaking *HUGE* back there! But once I got used to the "push" from passing trucks I guess it was OK. Gas mileage dropped from about 19 mpg to 11. We have the supercharged gas Q7, so don't have the torque of the TDI - you could definitely tell something was back there. I'll have to see if it feels like I could tow up into the mountains versus on the flat like we usually do. Oh, and got the recommended Aero 2 towing mirrors; they work great.

Also read that the dealers usually mess up the WDH set up. After the trailer is on and the bars are in place, the front end was up 1/4" from the pre-trailer height, and the back-end was down 1". Trailer was 6" lower at the front than at the back. Sounds like I could probably raise the ball and put a little more angle on the hitch to level things out -- is it far enough off to be worth it?

Bought it from Pan Pacific RV in Gilroy; used the Costco RV program to get what felt like a decent deal. They did a nice job on the walkthrough even though I'm still cheesed I had to pay for it. Only thing that surprised me was that they completely filled the 90 gallon fresh water tank and as I didn't want to tow with all that weight, I had to wait for it to drain before heading out. If anyone wants to know how long it takes for 90 gallons of water to drain through a little 1/2" plug, the answer is "a really long time".

Other than that, it's been great. Looking forward to first trip in two weeks. I feel much better (and safer) about our purchase thanks to all the knowledgeable people on this forum!

C
critchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

Thanks. Please Report back after your initial trip and let us know how everything went, and how that Murphy Bed worked for you.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to JOF!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #4

Welcome to the club. I can't comment on your TV, as I have 3/4 ton truck, but I can commiserate with the water draining! I just completed a full clean and sanitize of my water tank yesterday and lived the slow drain! That was murder to wait for.

Enjoy your trailer! We are off for a short 4 day trip to San Diego on Saturday. I dig the 12 month RV life of living in California.

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #5

I have the exact travel trailer in a 2015 model. My wife and I love it. As you say, it has too full size bunks, the couch, murphy bed, and a good size dinette. The only fault I have is the bathroom is really small and there is no slide out, but we have slept up five grown adults in it. We have been Galveston twice, Destin once, Port Aransas once and to Purtis Creek Lake about three times. I hate to put it up the winter. We just winterized it yesterday, but you can bet by March I'll have her back on the road. Happy camping and good luck with your new RV.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by critchie View Post
Only thing that surprised me was that they completely filled the 90 gallon fresh water tank and as I didn't want to tow with all that weight, I had to wait for it to drain before heading out. If anyone wants to know how long it takes for 90 gallons of water to drain through a little 1/2" plug, the answer is "a really long time".
A "California" (drought) hint for future tank draining AFTER camping ... [1] as normal - drain the black tank and then the gray tank, [2] next turn-on all inside faucets and let the fresh water pass down into the gray tank and then down the drain hose to do your initial 'rinse', [3] finally use MUCH less fresh water from a garden hose (with a hose rinser attachment) finish the job to your satisfaction. (oops, early morning and originally mis-typed the steps, sorry).

BTW, also got our TT through Costco from Pan Pacific (San Martin/Gilroy) over a year ago, and continue to be very pleased with them for both punch list repairs and a warranty issue (replaced cracked heat exchanger on the hot water heater). Love our TT and wouldn't change a thing - but did upgrade our TV and now love how it tows and tracks on those nasty, twisty hills!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote