Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

New 26 RLS - TV Question

First off, wonderful forum and thanks to all who respond so willingly. My wife and I were avid tent and later, pop-up campers many years ago when our three children were much younger. Fast forward twenty years later and we bought a used Sunline
TT to see if we were still campers. Long story short, my wife loved going camping again and we just bought a 2013 26rls last Saturday. We are going to bring it home this Wednesday. My question is that the trailer weighs 6300 dry and maxes out at 8500. My TV is a 2010 Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 with a 9600 Max towing capacity . I know that according to all the specs on the truck, I'm within the towing capacity of the vehicle. My concern is that will the truck be marginal with the trailer behind it or will it tow it adequately? I imagine that a new trailer will tow easier than an older one, but I'm looking for some input to either alleviate or validate my concerns...lol.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
snip.... My concern is that will the truck be marginal with the trailer behind it or will it tow it adequately? I imagine that a new trailer will tow easier than an older one, but I'm looking for some input to either alleviate or validate my concerns......snip
Nitrohorse,

Welcome to the Jayco forums

There is only one way to address your question (TV marginal or adequate) that will provide you with factual data and confirm where your TV stands within it's specified weight limits..... a visit to your local CAT scale. This will eliminate any assumptions and guess work on your part.

Since you have owned TT's before, then you are aware that an empty TT handles differently then a loaded TT behind a TV..., and that we all load our TV/TT combinations differently. I will assume that your RV dealer sized your new WDH based on the potential loaded weights of the 26RLS (not dry/empty weights), and advised you that the WDH would have to be re-adjusted when your TV/TT is under loaded conditions.

I would load your TV and TT up as if you were going camping and head to a CAT scale. The visit to the CAT scale will provide a tremendous amount of information for you to evaluate your TV/TT combination Weight limits, WDH adjusted correctly, etc.). The following JOF thread link will provide you with all the information you need to know upon arriving at the CAT scale: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Feel free to post the results should you decide to go to the CAT scale for any additional feedback. The one short fall many 1/2 ton TV's have is a limited payload capacity, so don't forget that the TT's loaded tongue weight is subtracted from the TV's payload capacity.

Referencing published manufacture TV Tow Ratings, you may find the following JOF link an interesting read: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

If you should need any forum assistance in adjusting your WDH under loaded conditions, a number of JOF members can help in this task as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

We have a 2011 Jayco 26RLS which we towed 7000 miles with our 2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 5.7 4x4. He installed a Prodigy P3 brake controller and we had the equalizer hitch on it. It towed well and we were well within the weight limits of the truck and trailer. but on the uphill it would rev up to 3600-4000 RPM but it was scarey coming downhill didn't feel he had complete control. He just didn't like the feel or control. He would manually downshift but the engine computer would just take over. Here in AZ we do have mountain roads and he wanted more control. Long story short he traded it in for a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel Crew Cab 4x4. What a difference, he has no issues or concerns now when we have had to climb the hills or on the downside. Yes the diesel wasn't needed but it was something he wanted for a while.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #4

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to weigh the TT and TV next Friday when we leave for our first trip. I drove tractor trailers for twelve
years, so I'm sure I can keep the "tail from wagging the dog" when descending a hill. I'm looking at installing a tow program in the ECU to increase HP and torque. I also priced Firestone's air bag system to stiffen up the rear leaf springs. Both of these improvements should really help in towing the trailer. My first trip is this weekend, so I will have a better idea of how the truck will handle the trailer.
Again, thanks for your help.
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

We just took delivery of a 2012 26RLS last week and are towing with a 2010 F150 with the same specs as your TV. While we clearly notice we're pulling something behind us, it's certainly not enough to consider upgrading the TV. Not to mention you have experience with towing, something I have had for about a week. You should be great.
2012 Jayco JayFlight 26RLS
0000 Children
Only 25 years to retirement!

"If it weren't for the rocks in it's bed, the stream would have no song." ~Carl Perkins
Rockypointers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new trailer. I hope you both enjoy it for many years.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #7

You should be fine with that TV, just get a good WDH and brake controller.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote