Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

New Awnings in 2017 TT

I noticed the new Jayco Jay Flight 38 FDDS awning is a Solera LCI with the speakers now in the awning head as opposed to being in the exterior wall of the trailer. I have not picked mine up yet so wondering if anybody has any opinions on this set up? Quality? functionality? How do the speakers sound? Any good or bad experience with it?
bulldog182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

I've only had mine a week or so. The awning seems to work fine, so far. It also has a manual over-ride that some don't have.

The speakers, even at low camp site volumes are pretty lame. A buddy of mine has the exact camper as I but he has the carefree awning and his speakers are in pods mounted to the wall and they sound fine.
TakerEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #3

I like the awning but one of my speakers doesn't work when the awning is extended

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #4

we had a white hawk with traditional outdoor speakers( which were great) and just traded for a 17 Jayflight with speakers in the awning, The 2017 speakers in my opinion are poor quality to begin with , s well as one not even working. So I cant say if it is the awning position or the speaker quality but the sound is not great. We are not even going to ask for a replacement speaker under warranty because I want to replace both with better speakers. By the way, the interior speakers are not the same as the white hawk either
WhiteHawk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #5

We picked up our 27BHS in April and have camped several times already. We've used these speakers each time and have no complaints. In fact, I like the fact that when the awning is extended the sound is aimed more toward the ground, and our site, instead of being aimed at other campers. We've had no issues with volume either. We pair the stereo with our phone, crank the volume way up on the unit and then control the volume with our phone. The only downside is that we need to keep the phone fairly close to the open door, but that has nothing to do with the OP's question. This is our first TT with outside speakers, but we like them.
ste_pulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
I like the awning but one of my speakers doesn't work when the awning is extended
I have one speaker that does not work , I found if you change the balance to the side that is not working and turn up the volume it seems to kick it on...weird but it works for me.
Mich905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

Our 2017 Jay Feather has wall speakers not speakers in the awning. We haven't used them very much but when we have they have worked fine.

There is an override switch in the front bedroom because the outside speakers and the bedroom speakers both operate on output 2 (I think) on the stereo. So you have to go into the bedroom and select inside or outside after turning on that output.

I do have that design issue with the Furrion stereo where the button for output 1 is displayed as 2 and 2 is displayed as 1.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #8

I have a 2017bhsw with those speakers. Dont get your hopes up, you will be disappointed. They are as close to terrible as you can get without being considered terrible if that makes sense. They have the same sound quality as laptop speakers would be a good explanation. The awning works good. To shift the speakers to outside only you have to mess with the balance or fade on the head unit. I noticed that if the volume is at the right level for the people inside the camper, its nowhere near loud enough for the people outside the camper. I'm sure this can be solved with tweaking the balance/fading, but its a little disappointing.
cheiden001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

If the awning speakers sounded a little better it would be great. I like the idea for sure and it beats having two more 6" holes in the side of the RV. The less stuff cut and mounted to the tops and sides then the less chance of water getting in !
Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

I would say that they are the worst sounding speakers ever made. To me the sound horrible . As of the awning works good no complaints. I also had one speaker STOP working. Only 3 months old and used maybe 10 mins.
Hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #11

I found poor sound quality both inside and out. I unscrewed all of the speakers and verified the polarity of the wiring at both the speaker, the a/b switch and at the back of the Furrion deck. Found three different polarity issues. I'd advise you all check your speaker wiring as well.

Greatly improved bass and imaging/focus once polarity issues sorted out.
jayco29qbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #12

I may be exaggerating but I bet that awning speaker is no bigger than the ones found in the portable AM radios. It honestly surprises me someone like LCI (Solaris) actually listened to these and said heck yeah, we have a winner here and went to production with them. Surely they didn't use input from real true users or Beta Testers.

It is what it is, everything else seems to be fine. I have plenty of other music sources other than the awning speakers, so no biggie. It just sux on what vendors think they can package and sell because there are no avenues to actually make them stand by their product !! Even more weird, who at Jayco listened to these and accepted them? The accounting department?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #13

Generally that's caused from a dragging voice coil, where the coil is dragging on the magnet, but when power is turned up then it over comes the friction. In any case, its not good and will not last long.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich905 View Post
I have one speaker that does not work , I found if you change the balance to the side that is not working and turn up the volume it seems to kick it on...weird but it works for me.