Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

New battery, No Power - 2011 JayFlight 28BHS

Hi everyone,

My first post - just signed up! Bought my 2011 JayFlight 28BHS just over a week ago, it is in mint condition. The previous owner took great care of it. He replaced the battery just before I picked it up. So it has been working great on the new battery and on shore power (currently parked at my house). Today I went to check on things, been plugged in for about a week, pulled it off shore power and zero power off the battery. Check fuses, including the battery inline fuse - all good. Since the battery is new and was working, I'm a little stumped. Everything runs perfect on shore power. Anyone have some experience dealing with this issue? Thanks in advance!
arcticlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Since the fuses are good I'm wondering if you have a converter issue. I would check the battery with a meter to see if it is dead or not.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Thanks Crabman - I thought it might be the converter as well but then everything works on shore power, thus going through the converter - meaning that it seems that the issue lies in between the battery and the fuse panel?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

Check the voltage right at the battery. If it shows below 12V, hook it to an external charger. If it charges properly, then there is something wrong with your converter or wiring or a fuse you missed. If it won't take a charge then the battery is bad.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticlife View Post
Thanks Crabman - I thought it might be the converter as well but then everything works on shore power, thus going through the converter - meaning that it seems that the issue lies in between the battery and the fuse panel?
Converter may not be charging the battery though which is why I suggest testing the battery as part of the process of elimination. But yes it could be something else in between. Does the tongue jack work? That will be on a separate fuse and wire.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Thanks Isaacs - I'll check the voltage on the battery and re-check the connections, as well as try charging too. I'll be at a permanent site soon and wanted to make sure all was working as it should. I'll have shore power but it's just the fact that all was working fine just days ago.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #7

Good point - tongue jack is manual. So a full battery verification is in order - again, just surprised that a new deep cycle battery can discharge in a matter of days.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Good point - tongue jack is manual. So a full battery verification is in order - again, just surprised that a new deep cycle battery can discharge in a matter of days.
Yikes on the jack, lol. But yes the parasitic drains on the battery can kill it in a week if not charging or not plugged in. I learned that one the hard way.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #9

hahahaha - yes, crank arm for sure Mind you, I will be setting in a few weeks on a permanent and private lot - will have 120V 15 amp power, so no A/C but otherwise will be good to go. So in the end, I don't really need a battery do I?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
hahahaha - yes, crank arm for sure Mind you, I will be setting in a few weeks on a permanent and private lot - will have 120V 15 amp power, so no A/C but otherwise will be good to go. So in the end, I don't really need a battery do I?
Not unless you lose power., Lol.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #11

Quote:
You will if you're in Florida!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #12

I'm in Canada, but I feel for those affected. Cheers!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #13

Just a quick update on the power issue - after testing the battery and charge loads, the culprit was a bad battery. The battery was less than 2 weeks old so I thought it unlikely to be the battery. But then it tested at 2.3 volts. The charge system was humming perfectly at 13.8 volts. So that ruled out converter/charger issues. I got a free replacement battery - fully charged it and all is well.

Thanks to all for your help and posts.