Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

New battery question

Tomorrow I'm going to get a new deep cycle battery for my 2012 29 RLDS trailer. The new battery will come right off a shelf. I know it will have a charge but I'm sure it won't be fully charged so do I need to slow charge it before I install it? I have charger that has 2 amps and 6 amps, I also have a battery maintainer that I use on my motorcycle, which one if any should I use. Thanks in advance

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #2

I assume you are purchasing a lead acid flooded cell battery. If voltage is below 12.2 volts put the small charger on it for an hour or so then you can go to higher amp charger. Truth is one most likely battery will be @ 75% and even if it is not your big charger will work with out hurting the battery.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #3

Install it in the trailer. Your trailer has a smart charger. Let it handle the charging.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Install it in the trailer. Your trailer has a smart charger. Let it handle the charging.
x2

Also, check the battery mfr date code that is put on the battery by the mfr. Being on the back room shelf can mean 2 days, 2 months or 2 years.... Check on the mfr's website on how to locate and read the date code.

Not to be negative, if the retailer does not have a big turnover on selling deep cycle batteries, it could be sitting there for a while, the longer it was on the shelf the better chance that it was not maintained properly and they may have thrown a charge on it just before you purchase it. I would not purchase a battery with a mfr date greater than to 1 to 2 months old, but those are my requirements. The less time the retailer has the battery the better your chances are for getting a FRESH battery that will serve you for a long time (as long as you properly maintain it). If you are purchasing 2 deep cycle batteries the mfr date should be within one month of each other. Just remember you are paying good money for the battery(s), and you are dealing with a sales person that wants to make a sale and will say almost anything. If they have old dates on them, have the retailer order you a FRESH battery(s).

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the helpful information. I appreciate it

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote