Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
I agree I would get a portable tank on wheels, I have one and have only had to use once but glad I had it.

slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
We use a thetford tank when we go to State Parks and to me that is one of the best things we bought for camping. It really doesn't take that long to drain and dump. Good investment

2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
I have a 24 gallon grey tank and it lasts two days with 2 adults and 2 kids. I have a thetford portable and use it at the state parks anytime longer than two nights. No issues with hot water keeping up with demand.
2012 267 BHS
2010 Ford F350 6.4L Diesel:D
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
Ladies do a lot of tissue "blotting" after the fact. We have a special bag for such tissue, and throw it away most every day. One would be surprised
the amount of black tank storage that saves.
I had 30 gal tanks with my last trailer and could go 3-5 days, with two girls in the house and dumping was clog free! Tissue in the waste basket really works!
2013 Eagle 308RETS
2003 Ford F-250 Crewcab 6.0L
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #15
We use a Barker Tote-a-long to shuttle grey water to the dump station. Super easy, no hassle, takes 10 min max and very worth it to not have to conserve so much. We are family of 5, 32 gal grey last 1.5-2 days. Black last 5+ days easy.
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #16
Site Team
I have a 15 gal. Tote that gives me the flexibility to camp most anywhere. If running "blots" appeals, go do it!
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
Tank usage is so variable for everyone. Personally I do not like to use my blue tote. My DW thinks the job looks nasty, so I have her and the kid convinced to be a little conservative with the water usage. We have been out for 5 days and not had any issues with filling our small tanks. But we did us the CG showers on those trips. You use a lot more water than you think doing dishes and washing your hands. It is really easy to turn on the valve and just let the water pour.

In some TTs it is easy to transfer some of the grey water to the black water tank. In our current HTT due to the valve placement I would think it would be a fun job to pull the cap off afterwards as there would be a lot of grey water in the piping. In my parents old Nomad, it was very easy to do as the valves were immediately next to the sewer connection cap and maybe a ½ gallon of water of grey water was captured between the valves.

Personally, I would also recommend not placing toilet tissue down the tank. The tissue breaks down and just hangs on everything. It makes your sensors less reliable; it sticks to the walls of the tank, the piping, and the dreaded flexible sewer hose.

As for blue totes, think about where you will be camping and where they will allow you to dump it. For example we were in Yellowstone last summer. In the NP run CG, only facilities are latrines. What we were told is fill our blue tote, bring it to the latrine and dump it down the toilet. We never needed to do it as we did not fill our tanks to full. But if I had needed to, a large blue tote would have been much harder to man handle into the latrine to dump.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #18
Thanks again everyone for your replies. Sounds like we will be okay on everything..
2013 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2002 Yukon 5.3L Vortex w/tow package

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
Would recommend the portable tank a little expensive but worth it. To save space in our tanks we do a lot of sandwiches that way around not dirtying to many dishes. As far as showers our concerned I am a night time person and the wife is in the morning the kids we do about 10 to 15 minutes apart. Special note the hot water heaters in these campers are set at a 140+ deg. Which is scalding so you need to use a small amount of hot water so please be carfull.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #20
We camp with 2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 9 yo). On some trips, we were fine after a 2 night stay, other times we were pretty full but I have yet to buy a transfer tank or go dump early. The kids still have a hard time conserving water and sometimes like to play with the faucets. We also tend to take more showers in the summer when it was really hot.

2013 26BH ghetto model w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser

I have a fever...and the only cure is more camping!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote