Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2017, 01:14 AM   #1

Smile New Jay Flight 28BHBE

Hello!

My wife and I just bought our first travel trailer, A 2017 Jay Flight 28BHBE. After doing some research I have found that there seem to be some fit and finish problems with some of the Jayco models and was wondering if you guys could give some input on things I should look closely for when we do the walk through before picking it up. Already I have found that the caulk around the kitchen sink was done poorly. I'd like to get everything possible squared away right off of the bat

Has anyone else encountered fit and finish problems? and if so were they significant?
AdventureSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:39 AM   #2

Congrats and welcome to JOF.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

What we do ( If we can ) is take some one with us when we do a PDI its hard not to be excited about taking it home, do what our grand kids do turn every thing on and off
open everything look on the roof, crawl under the unit look at every thing ..regardless of what we do I always find something never and big issues .there will always be things you want to do to make it yours !!!
and have fun !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #4

Welcome to the JOF and Congratulations on your new 28BHBE.

Do not let the sales person or the dealer hurry you thru the PDI. Turn EVERYTHING on and check it. Open and retract the awning, turn on the hot water heater (electric and gas)separately (wait for electric to make the water warm, then turn off the electric, turn on the gas and wait to see if the gas makes it hot.). Check water drain pipes under the kitchen and bathroom sinks to make sure they are tight.
We have a 2016 28BHBE and here are the things we found:
1. Radio was mounted crooked.
2. Bathroom door (inside) was crooked along the top and there was also a gap running along the length of the door and if someone stood within 3 feet of the door, they could see into the bathroom. Fix was to put a foam rubber strip down along the inside. (see this link). (4th and 6th post)
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...d-35717-5.html

3. Coat hooks to the right of the TV were mounted crooked.
5. After 1 year we saw a small bump in the floor and it appears a nail is starting to push up near the pantry under the vinyl floor. This will be fixed this spring.
6. The door side fender above the tires was not installed correctly and protruded out a lot further than on the slide side. (factory forgot to put a holding bracket there.

Even though these were all minor issues. We love the 28BHBE.
Recommendation.... If you plan on hauling bikes, I recommend you have them install the receiver hitch. Jayco has receiver mounting hardware built into the frame under the bumper and the receiver bolts on. Jayco calls it a Cargo Accessory Receiver.

Hope this helps.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

I'm going to make a list of everything you mentioned RAurand, I appreciate you taking the time to list some things!

I have a feeling I will be on this forum a lot. We plan to full time in this travel trailer and it is our first one so I have a lot of reading to do!

Thank you, everyone!
AdventureSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I'm going to make a list of everything you mentioned RAurand, I appreciate you taking the time to list some things!

I have a feeling I will be on this forum a lot. We plan to full time in this travel trailer and it is our first one so I have a lot of reading to do!

Thank you, everyone!
You are welcome.
You will enjoy reading thru BigJohnD's 28BHBE Mods. Very interesting and informative.
Below is the link:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hbe-30052.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #7

Be sure to take the panel on the outside for the fridge off and make sure it's square. On our 27BHS they used so much sealant it was out of square and if you got it off it was almost impossible to get it back on.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #8

I was fixing to post the link, but you beat me to it RAurand.

Even with the best PDI, you're going to find some things. As with me, get ticked off, back up, think about it, make a plan, make it better. Problems usually always result in a mod or an improvement for us. Ours is still ongoing. There will be more items posted on the link RAurand mentioned in the near future, like new shoe rack with countertop and pull out shelf, and stainless sink. We've owned 8 rigs and full timed in 2 of them. Not one has been perfect, but we have strived to make them perfect.

Congrads on your purchase. You sound like me. Something isn't straight, right, or perfect, then you want to redo it. Get the major stuff corrected, then have fun making it yours.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #9

Might I suggest that if you have time, take the tour with the delivery guy and get all your mental/written notes. Then have him get some coffee and see if you can do it by yourself. That way if you have any questions, you can ask him before you leave. My very first unit had a manual awning. Well, I put it out and took it in 3 times by myself before leaving taking it home. Well worth it. Just my thoughts.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #10

No real issues with our 28BHBE. The over sofa cabinet needed a little work (some badly joined places). Have them add shutoff valves to the FWT overflow lines. Also make sure to go look at the roof. Get vent coves too. They are defiantly worth it.

And most importantly... Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

I would agree on the valves of the fresh water tank overflows. Mine ran more water out as they were filling. After I put plugs in them it took forever to fill he sure the vent next to the cap where you fill them is hooked up.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #12

Picked up out '17' 28RLS last Thursday and on pad walk threw a few things and I was expecting something. 1- I found water leak under sink in kitchen and not a drip either, repaired with another hose from another unit. 2- The steps runner were bent bad, replaced off another unit. 3- positive and negative nut on battery were very loose. And the kicker was couldn't find booklet and keys so again off to rob them off that other camper. We had a full day. Jayco seems to be a good unit just water leak, just glad we found before leaving.
Goldenbear is offline   Reply With Quote