Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Cool new Jayco 19 rd

I have my new trailer and love it. I have people telling me I need to have an anti sway bar asap!!!!! I am questioning the need. Trailer is 3715 dry hitch 435lbs. My truck is a 95 F350 diesel 4dr longbed. I pulled on my first trip, no sway, cut through Austin city traffic on the way home to get used to pulling, it was easier than I expected.
My only concern has been that my truck actually is having to work at pulling it. I am guessing it is the wind resistance over the truck, down to the bed and hitting the front of the trailer.

Cut to the chase:
Do I need sway bars?
Will a camper shell or air deflector make a noticeable difference in air flow and towing?

Thank you all for your comments. I am soooo glad to be out of my pop up
sragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #2

I had a 27 footer ultra light trailer, 500 lbs tounge weight. I towed it all over with a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 for the first year. Then decided to get a weight distribution hitch. It helped in the wind alittle , took some sway away ,which is always safer. You got a beefy truck, it couldn't hurt, but would be your call. I have seen 250 and 350 pull without. As far as you truck seeming to struggle to pull it. Is it running 100%, my diesel tows my Eagle great power to spare. A wind deflector for the truck is an option. Best of luck to you.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks for the response. My 'struggle' is that the turbo actually cuts in going up hill. I am so used to it never working to do anything and pulling a heavily loaded flatbed with equipment it just 'feels' different.
The truck does have 370,000 miles on it, I will be getting it checked out thoroughly before going on too long a trip.

I did not feel any sway at all when on my break in trip and on my drive home from the dealer I was bucking 50 mile winds head on.
I will be going on another 100 mile each way short trip soon and will be more attentive to how it reacts in all situations and will check into sway bars if I feel I need them at that point.
I appreciate any and all help that comes my way
Thanks again
Old 04-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer. Sorry I can't answer either of your questions. My setup tows with ease but I've only towed with a wdh and without a shell or deflector. Post a pic when you can...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Nothing like four solid walls instead of canvas! Your truck should be capable of pulling the weight of the trailer without sway control.

Are you using a weight distribution hitch?

I have not pulled a trailer with anything heavier than an F150 but have seen a lot of 3/4 & 1-ton trucks pulling trailers with just the tongue on the trailer ball. That would probably scare the hell out of me. Damn curse of "Murphy's Law" being a direct descendant of that Murphy and all.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #6

I would. A long time ago on the I 75 I was pulling a 22 foot TT with my truck, a diesel too when it started to sway. By the time I stopped it had flipped on its side bounced back upright & I was straight across all lanes when I did stop, Didn't hit any one & no one was hurt. No tires blown on the trailer ( tandem axle) no truck wash no explanation for why it started to sway. It did though scare the jeepers out of me. I too never thought something that small needed a sway control. 25 years later I have a dually & a 32 foot 5th wheel. Lesson learned.
b1mmuo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #7

Scarry

That does sound way scarry.
I just remember having to wrestle with leveling hitch 15 years ago and almost took my leg off hooking it up using a pry bar. That scared me off of them.
Since it takes 2 acres to turn my truck around will that make turning radius worse? Any suggestions on brands that wont break the bank and are easy to use?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #8

Sway control

Hey guy.
Welcome!
First off I have been towing TT's for 25 plus years. I also work part time for a dealer.
I don't care about the size of your truck I would never venture out without some type of sway control. A big beefy truck means nothing if you get caught off guard on a bridge with a cross wind or a semi comes up on you before you realize - they push A LOT of wind.
A simple sway bar isn't more than $100 and worth every dollar.
You will never regret getting one.
Happy travels bud!
reinbeauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

sway bars

So for the 19ft should I get only the right or both? Hopefully they are easier to use than the garbage I had back then.

One of the things I love about the Jayco is that it is so balanced it stays right behind the truck, does not have a mind of its own.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #10

With a 19 ft trailer you only need one.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Congrats on the new TT. We have the same model, and tow with an Equalizer brand hitch on the back of a Tundra. Haven't had an issue with sway because of its design, and no scary moments hitching the bars. We put an electric tongue jack on, so we hitch the ball, raise the whole thing up and push the bars on, then lower. Done!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote