Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Wink New Jayco Jayflight 28BHS Owner

Hello to everyone,

Just bought my family's first travel-trailer... a 2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS. Thermal package, Customer Value package, bumper-mounted spare tire, power hitch-jack... very excited and very happy so far. What I am curious about is are there any various "tips/tricks", things to watch out for, or suggestions that any current owners may have for me? I'm new to the whole travel-trailer thing and really would like a "primer" from those that have been-there and done-that.

FYI: pulling it with a 2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X Crew Cab and it pulled the hills in WV at 70+ mph with ZERO problems. I have an Equalizer E2 hitch.

-S
-- Thermal Package
-- Bumper-Mounted Spare Tire

Truck:
2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X Crew-Cab
-- Roadmaster Active Suspension XXL
-- Prodigy Brake Controller
-- Equalizer E2 hitch
-- Banks CAI & Monster Exhaust
-- Superchips Cortex Programmer
SHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #2

SHoffman,
Congrats on the new Jayco, and welcome to the Forum. Glad you joined us!! As far as different tips/tricks, the best thing I can suggest is as you have time, dig around on the forum to see what you can find. There are plenty of helpful tips on here as well as some of those "uh-oh" moments.

Some things I won't go without when towing and camping include a Tire Pressure and Temperature monitoring system, such as http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html I am not sure what style of camping you will be doing, but if you plan to plug in to shore power, I would suggest some sort of extra surge protection, such as http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-30-amp/58464 And probably one of the biggest things I would suggest, not only from a safety standpoint, but also because it will help with your trailer rocking, is a good set of wheel chocks, such as http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ng-chock/43891
Once a year I treat all of my slide seals with http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...reatment/18633 and do the slide tracks with http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...otectant/17390

If you plan on purchasing an extension cord for your shore power (and I suggest you do because you never know how far from the pedestal you will be) I strongly suggest getting one with a large gauge wire. Extra water hoses, sewer hoses, extra o-rings for the water hose connections, electrical adapters, and some throw away latex gloves for handling your sewer hose are a few other things to keep in mind.

You can find these items cheaper elsewhere, but I used CW because it's the easiest website to navigate.

Once again, congratulations on the new Jayco, and feel free to ask any questions!! There's always someone on here willing to help.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #3

2011 Titan here and just purchased the 29QBH. Nice to see another Titan out there.....
Bruck!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Site Team

I`ve had a 28BHS going on 4 years now, its been rock solid. Nice medium sized bunk house trailer. Just about any questions you may have can be answered here, ask away and welcome to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. We bought the same trailer last year and love it. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

I had a 2008 28BHS and really enjoyed it. Had to trade up to larger trailer because grandkids just kept coming along. I would suggest checking the window seal regularly. Only problem I encountered was water leaking around the window on drivers side in the front bedroom. The windows are not caulked, they have a rubber seal and if the window opening is just a little oversized, window eventually settles some and causes leak. Then you have the problem of replacing the interior paneling due to water damage and I ran into problem of finding matching paneling. This can be solved by appying a really good grade silicone caulk around the all windows at the top and sides or do as I did, loosen windows and place tape caulk, available at dealer, around the frame, retighten screws, and remove excess caulk. This forms a great seal and you don't have the dirt adhering to the caulk like with regular caulking.
Good luck and Happy Camping.
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new TT.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #8

Welcome!!!!!!

When you buy the items listed above, do your homework and buy good, quality items at the very beginning. ie; sewer hose and connections. The cheap ones ARE NOT something you want to mess with. Rubber gloves are a must for messing with blackwater. Get a good flashlight and have extra batteries. Buy good leveling blocks or make your own for under the tires and the stabalizer jacks.

My wife and I are retired and we cannot get enought of our 26RLS.

As imaynard said, everyone on this site is here to help and have done probably everything you will encounter.

Good luck and happy camping.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoffman View Post
Hello to everyone,

Just bought my family's first travel-trailer... a 2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS. Thermal package, Customer Value package, bumper-mounted spare tire, power hitch-jack... very excited and very happy so far. What I am curious about is are there any various "tips/tricks", things to watch out for, or suggestions that any current owners may have for me? I'm new to the whole travel-trailer thing and really would like a "primer" from those that have been-there and done-that.

FYI: pulling it with a 2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X Crew Cab and it pulled the hills in WV at 70+ mph with ZERO problems. I have an Equalizer E2 hitch.

-S
Congrats.

Other than take it out and make some fun memories with the family I would say to slow down a bit. Check the trailer tires speed rating. They are probably listed for 65MPH. When going RVing slow and steady wins the race. Drive slowly, leave more room between you and the vehicles in front of you and do not be in a rush. Nothing good happens when you rush, even more so with something in tow.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

Well, took it out for our first trip this weekend. Drove 8 hours to/from amusement park/campground. Had a great time. Really liking the TT, but did manage to have three things break on us; I assume these are all warranty:

1.) Electrical panel cover broke off completely. The plastic pieces where the mounting screws go in just sheared off.
2.) Blind in bedroom just broke in my wife's hand the first time she tried to adjust it. It now just hangs down and has no tension.
3.) Blind in kitchen area (venetian) fell off in my hand. It is completely down now.

All-in-all though, pulled well, great trip, happy.

-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoffman View Post
Hello to everyone,

-S
-- Thermal Package
-- Bumper-Mounted Spare Tire

Truck:
2010 Nissan Titan Pro-4X Crew-Cab
-- Roadmaster Active Suspension XXL
-- Prodigy Brake Controller
-- Equalizer E2 hitch
-- Banks CAI & Monster Exhaust
-- Superchips Cortex Programmer
SHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

Congrats on the new camper! We just upgraded from a 19BH to a 28BHS this spring and absolutely love it!! Just got back from a 7 day trip to Lake Erie and would have stayed 14 if I could have gotten the time off work. We love the floor plan and the L shaped kitchen.