Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #1

New Jayco materials and towability questions

We have pretty much had it with out 2002 Tahoe Wide Lite by Thor. We bought it 4 years ago to seasonal camp in Provincial parks. I have chased 4 leaks this year on top of the leaks the previous owners had that they did not disclose and I did not notice in my ignorance. I have put about $400 of proper caulking in to replace the silicone and "tub and tile" stuff the previous owners put in. I was ignorant when I bought. The OSB in the roof is weakening and I cracked one with my knee while cleaning off silicone

Anyway, we are interested in the following Jayco TTs and have some questions:

Jay Flight SLX 267bhsw: Does this use OSB in the roof? I want plywood. See my current trailer problems. It is cheap though. Advertised here in Winnipeg for $27000 Canadian. People at my campground paid $25000 for theirs. They love it and this is their second season with it.

Jay Feather 25BH: I know it has plywood in the roof. However, what exactly is a laminated floor? Is this something to be concerned about? Do both windows in the bunks open? Anything about the build quality that is a downgrade from the Jay Flight 27BHS? Worried about pricing. Dealer advertises it at $33000. I can probably knock that down some more.

Jay Flight 27BHS: I like it. Plywood roof and floor. I want the aluminum siding option for weight reasons and to avoid delamination. Bit worried I will priced out of it. I really want to stay under $32000 taxes and fees included. I am concerned about the weight with a GVWR is 8250 lbs. See my tow vehicle next.

My tow vehicle is a 2014 F150 4x4 with the Heavy Duty payload package. 8200 GVWR and 2228 lbs of payload with 9200 lbs tow rating. I have the 5.0 V8 and 3.73 years. Is there any reason I would need to be concerned about towing any of these rigs, especially the 27BHS? I would get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control.

One more question: are there any other manufacturers who are using plywood instead of OSB?

Thanks for reading!
Kravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Perhaps consider viewing some of the many You tube videos on how Jayco's are manufactured.Jayco themselves made the videos.
Also view their website for more information on build quality.
We have a 2009 29BHS (w Slide) and have not had any issues. We've been so happy with Jayco that we are currently considering upgrading to a 34RSBS.
As far as the TowVehicle, I am no expert so hopefully others will chime in.
Good luck in your search and so sorry to hear about your expierance so far with your current TT.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:20 AM   #3

Krav,

Welcome!!!

As for the different materials used, and exactly what the laminated floor is, try emailing Jayco to ask for clarification. I know that doesn't help much, but unless someone who knows for sure posts, we can only speculate.

As for your tv and a 27 BHS, it looks like it would be a fairly good match from the specs you posted on your tv. As you may know, the tv payload is usually the first thing to be exceeded when towing a rolling brick (tt). The payload of the tv includes the total weight of: All occupants, any cargo (coolers, firewood, bikes, etc), any accessories added to the tv (step bars, tonneau cover/truck topper, etc), the wdh, and the tt tw (tongue weight). It if you do have the unicorn if F150's with the HD Payload, it looks like you should be ok. Unless of course you like to take/load a cord of firewood, or a 800lb atv in the truck bed.

Double check your factory receiver hitch tw rating. Not sure what a loaded 27 BHS tw could possibly be.

Only other thing to consider with the 27 BHS and you tv is the possible tt length vs your wheelbase. Ideally having the 6.5' bed (or 8') would be better than the 5'8" (or whatever it is exactly) bed. The longer the wheel base, generally the better tow experience.

For a good wdh, the Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the price. The Reese hitch heads do offer a little more fine tuning adjustment vs the 4 way, and the ability to just swap the wd bars if you need to, but you can't go wrong with any of these wdh models. Make sure to buy the correct model with the wd bars rated for you loaded tw!!!! To many times have we heard of stories that the dealer gave a wdh with bars rated barely for the "brochure" dry tw.

As for the price of the rigs since your north of the border, all I can say is we wish you luck on getting the best price possible. It is crazy how much things can cost for you guys. Would it be possibly be cheaper to buy a rig in the US, and pay the taxes on it? Just a crazy thought!!! I know there is a fair amount of paperwork involved, just don't know if it would be cheaper or not. I know a good price on a new rig here in the US is ~30% off the msrp. But that probably isn't even close to reality for you guys.

Good luck shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

We looked at the same trailers when we were purchasing, and went with the 27BHS. I don't remember every difference now, but I know there were enough that we decided we would regret getting the Jayfeather. If you have the payload available, the 27BHS is great.

As far as weight goes, ours stickered at about 6600 lbs. We add exactly 1000 lbs of equipment, food, and clothing when we are loaded up, so 7600 lbs without water. If we take water with us, we are exactly at the max weight for the trailer, about 8250 lbs. The tongue weight runs 1050 - 1100 lbs. We still have heavy things that need to go in the truck, such as 4 bikes, extra coolers, etc, so we are utilizing our HD truck's capabilities to the fullest.

I think our numbers would be a little too much for your truck, but if you don't feel the need to carry water, or overpack for every possible situation like we do, you should be able to handle it. We started out in the same boat, but I traded up to an HD truck for piece of mind.

I am using a 12k E4 Equalizer, and no complaints there.

I'd be happy to share CAT scale numbers with you if you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
Site Team

This thread delves into the construction difference and opinions thereof, including mine. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ter-40108.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #6

Jayco flight 27BHS vs jayco feather 25BH

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Definitely read the link Crabman presented. With at least 50 years of RV experience a RV is no different than a house..........it need maintenance. Your home you make like it your taste, it's no different with a RV. A house doesn't bounce on the road and who cares how heavy it is built. An RV has to be built light as possible and when the demand for them is high the quality goes down. Having owned new and used over all those years, with new you have some issues which has been overlooked when building them. Yes they look very nice with their beautiful finish and design. When buying used and well taken care off you have always a more win win situation. First of all the issues has been fixed and the price is usually a bargain compared with new. Since I don't need a dealer to do repairs or modifications, I'm just happy with my Jayco brand and mostly we buy a certain unit because of the layout what suits our needs. Don't forget most components and accessories are supplied by other manufactures, Jayco just assembles them in their products. Reading this forum gives people an informative decision making choice.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies so far!
Kravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

Laminated Floors

Good Luck with your choice. Your question regarding laminated floors.... Traditionally laminated floor is two layers of Luan glued together. The layers themselves are thin and not very strong. The gluing process is what provides thier strength. It is a solid and light weight building material that is fairly common in the RV industry. Jayco may use a different wood but the concept will be the same.

The weak link in laminated floors is the glue. Most of the glues used are easily damaged by moisture. A significant water intrusion can lead to the floor delaminting at which point you end up with "soft" floors and start to loose the integrity of the unit. In RV's where the floor is continuous under the walls it means removing the entire structure to properly repair the floor.

I have owned units with laminated floors. It is a choice, you go in knowing that water damage can be fatal to the unit and do your best to prevent/limit it. In return you generally get a reduced weight which may allow you to tow a trailer with greater square footage then you can otherwise handle.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote