Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
Jmd

New Jayco water heater question

We got our first trailer, a 2016 26 BH and I'm wondering this question.

If I'm connected to the city water and my water tanks are basically empty does the water heater still fill and be usable?
Jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

yes everything works... the only difference is your source is from the hose and not the tank. Once you turn the water on the pipes and the heater will begin to fill... let your water heater completely fill before you turn it on!
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Jmd

Awesome, thank you!

Is there a way to verify the heater tank has filled? We've run the faucets already and no air bubbles, I would guess the heater tank has filled already.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #4

Congrats on the new rig!!!

If/ when hooked to city water, yes, your wh will fill when you purge the air out of the line by turning a faucet on as long as the wh bypass valves are set correctly. BUT... even if using the fresh water tank, the bypass valves would still neeed to be in the correct orientation. The valve in the middle should be turned off, and the valves on the input and output of the wh should be turned on letting water into the wh. Reverse the valves when it/ if you need to winterize, making sure to drain the wh tank.

Make sure to fill the wh tank and purge of air before turning it on.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Jmd

Fantastic, thank you! Water valves were in the correct open position when I turned the water on.

I've flipped the water heater electric switch on. We should know in 30 minutes or so.

We tented for many years and are extremely excited to have a trailer now, we absolutely love it.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

If you open the pressure relief valve briefly water will flow out. If no water then it is not full. I usually open the pressure relief valve while filling to relieve the pressure and water will begin flowing out once the tank is full.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #7

Where is the ignition point for the gas water heater?

Can anyone tell me where to ignite the gas water heater? I've observed two possible ignition-point orifices on the port side of our Jayco Swift TT. Your advice will help prevent me from sticking a barbecue igniter where it doesn't belong.
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
Jmd

We have hot water

I tested the pressure relief valve and it definitely full.

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmd View Post
We have hot water

I tested the pressure relief valve and it definitely full.

Thanks again!
Awesome!!! You can use the gas at the same time for faster recovery when taking a few showers in a row.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Bos'un View Post
Can anyone tell me where to ignite the gas water heater? I've observed two possible ignition-point orifices on the port side of our Jayco Swift TT. Your advice will help prevent me from sticking a barbecue igniter where it doesn't belong.
Does your wh have electronic ignition or a pilot light? If a pilot light, follow the very small tube out if the control valve/ temp control. Pilot is at the end of the tube. Light bbq lighter first, then turn on the gas.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Bos'un View Post

It would be helpful to know something about your TT? Year, model and type of WH in particular.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Does your wh have electronic ignition or a pilot light? If a pilot light, follow the very small tube out if the control valve/ temp control. Pilot is at the end of the tube. Light bbq lighter first, then turn on the gas.
And hold the knob in pilot position for about 30 seconds; this makes the thermocouple warm up so that the control valve will allow gas to flow.

>>> BUT most likely you have a DSI water heater, in which case all you have to do is to turn on the switch inside your trailer labeled Water Heater LP Gas. A DSI, or Direct Spark Ignition water heater uses an electronically controlled spark to the light the gas. Once you turn the switch on, the process is automatic - if all works as it is supposed to.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #13

DO NOT open the pressure relief valve to check to see if the water heater is full. An air column is necessary in the top of the water heater to allow for expansion when the water gets hot. Bleeding off that air column through the pressure relief valve will allow the tank to fill to the top. What results is when the water is heated and expands it has no place to go, so it drips from the pressure relief valve. How many of you that open the pressure relief valve also have a dripping pressure relief valve ????? Now you know why !!