Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

New Jayflight 32TSBH - Sink Seal/Gunk

Hey everyone, just joined the forum and bought a brand new 2013 Jayflight 32TSBH travel trailer. Trailer is awesome and we've really enjoyed it so far, but I've got a few questions to see if any other jayflight (or jayco) owners have experienced this as well.

The kitchen sink and bathtub have a sealant around the drain that's grey in color. When hot water is run in the sink or tub, the grey sealant becomes very soft and ends up sticking to dishes (or feet if in the bathtub). Thought it may just be a "new wears off" type of issue but it keeps coming up. Anyone ever had this problem? It's like they didn't use the correct heat tolerant sealer (caulking) during the manufacture. I'll be removing the sealant and replacing it with something else, just thought I'd see if anyone else has done this??
Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Team

It may just be excess plumbers putty that was not trimmed after the fittings were tightened. Trim away the excess from around the edge of the drains and see if that fixes it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

I wasn't familiar with plumbers putty so I looked it up and that's exactly what it is!

Thanks for the tip! I'll trim it off shortly.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

I had the same problem with the sticky plumber's putty, but after several months of removing the excess, the remainder got grimed up and quit being sticky.

Thing is, standard plumber's putty used in stick and brick houses isn't as tacky or as soft as this stuff. Regular putty is more like a semi-sticky clay. The putty Jayco uses is a lot stickier, and my guess is they use it because of the road vibration plumbing is subject to. A standard putty might not remain sealed.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #5

We had the exact same issue with our kitchen sink and I still pick away at it ... sticky stuff indeed.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

We had it in the kitchen sink too. Seemed that way too much was used!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
We had it in the kitchen sink too. Seemed that way too much was used!
Exactly what I was thinking!

Kinda glad I know what it is now and that it wasn't unique to my specific trailer. Thanks for the responses!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #8

Goo Gone will take it off in seconds.

Very common to come from the factory that way.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #9

Hey bigmike. You will find plumbers putty in your residential sink as well. The more you tighten the retention nut on the drain collar under the sink the more putty comes out. The newer drain collars are made of plastic as well as the top piece that you see where the putty is coming out of. Some of these assemblies are 2 pieces with the top piece threading on to the collar, some are a one piece collar with a nut under the sink to tighten the assembly. If the assembly gets tightened too much it will crack the top piece so be careful if tightening it. Oatey is a popular brand name for the putty (Homer Depot). You can also use silicone. The putty takes the movement of the rv better I think. I had the occasion to replace mine on a previously owned 5er. I just used a residential replacement from a hardware store.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 AM   #10

That's about ther only problem I HAVEN'T had.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #11

I also have this goo mess in the kitchen sink, have been dealing with it for over a year now. The mess gets all over the sink, dishes, and anything else in the sink. I am not sure what this product is, a type of plumbers putty I guess, but believe it to be defective. Another Jayco here at camp has the same problem, I havent seen the problem in any other make.

The problem is that due to use of hot water in the sink, the product loosens up and oozes out from the basket, then a leak develops under the sink. Tighten the basket nut, it seals, then in time the same thing over again. This proceeds until my current situation; there isnt enough sealant left at the sink basket and the leak can not be corrected by further tightening. I plan on using standard plumbers putty to re-seal the sink baskets.

Make sure you monitor for leaks underneath at the basket nut, as already mentioned Goo Gone works well to clean up the goo mess.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
I also have this goo mess in the kitchen sink, have been dealing with it for over a year now. The mess gets all over the sink, dishes, and anything else in the sink. I am not sure what this product is, a type of plumbers putty I guess, but believe it to be defective. Another Jayco here at camp has the same problem, I havent seen the problem in any other make.

The problem is that due to use of hot water in the sink, the product loosens up and oozes out from the basket, then a leak develops under the sink. Tighten the basket nut, it seals, then in time the same thing over again. This proceeds until my current situation; there isnt enough sealant left at the sink basket and the leak can not be corrected by further tightening. I plan on using standard plumbers putty to re-seal the sink baskets.

Make sure you monitor for leaks underneath at the basket nut, as already mentioned Goo Gone works well to clean up the goo mess.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on it. Could be a problem if it started leaking bad!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
Hey bigmike. You will find plumbers putty in your residential sink as well. The more you tighten the retention nut on the drain collar under the sink the more putty comes out. The newer drain collars are made of plastic as well as the top piece that you see where the putty is coming out of. Some of these assemblies are 2 pieces with the top piece threading on to the collar, some are a one piece collar with a nut under the sink to tighten the assembly. If the assembly gets tightened too much it will crack the top piece so be careful if tightening it. Oatey is a popular brand name for the putty (Homer Depot). You can also use silicone. The putty takes the movement of the rv better I think. I had the occasion to replace mine on a previously owned 5er. I just used a residential replacement from a hardware store.
Good advice sir, thanks for the response. I'll proly try the residential type if it's more heat tolerant.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #14

We have the same mess as mentioned by others, i'll have to buy some goo gone and get rid of it
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #15

OK, finally getting around to fixing the plumbers putty issue. I bought some oatey from home depot and am about to install it but on the label it says not to use on plastics. What gives?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #16

BTW, my sink started leaking pretty bad. Anyone know if they offer some type of gasket to use in place of putty?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #17

Its very easy to strip a thread when tightening plastic. There is a rubber gasket one could place underneath the strainer flange. Better fix would be to buy and install a metal type sink strainer at any hardware store. Probably the factory people know they will strip out, and leave them semi loose. Not squeezing them down would leave lots of putty to deal with.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #18

I just fixed my goo problem in the kitchen sink. I took the baskets out and found traces of plumbers putty, but it was not evenly distributed around the basket and gaps had formed, thus the reason for the leaks. I suspect when the putty was applied, the liquid in the putty had somehow separated and leaked out as "goo".

I cleaned everything up with Goo Gone, reapplied standard plumbers putty, reassembled; and all is well.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote