Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #21
Tim

Just got back from vacation and the hitch I had installed worked perfectly. Basically the setup is a square tube that is welded to steel plates. The steel plates are then U-bolted to the ibeams. That is what is supporting the weight an torque from whatever is on the hitch. The 2 inch receiver is then welded to the square tube by way of a steel plate then U-bolted to the bumper. The system is custom made by the local Jayco dealer and they have done many of these with no problems.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Just got back from vacation and the hitch I had installed worked perfectly. Basically the setup is a square tube that is welded to steel plates. The steel plates are then U-bolted to the ibeams. That is what is supporting the weight an torque from whatever is on the hitch. The 2 inch receiver is then welded to the square tube by way of a steel plate then U-bolted to the bumper. The system is custom made by the local Jayco dealer and they have done many of these with no problems.

Tim

Hello Tim, was wondering if you are still happy with the hitch you had installed? And did they give you a weight rating? Do you think this is something that your dealer would sell and ship out? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Now that's a positive accessory option. Now you can haul and have no problem with vibration on the bumper when carrying a bike rack. Your dealer should market their idea.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #24

Here was my solution

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22869
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #25

Thanks frieed, I tried to respond, and posted it in your old thread. Very nice!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #26
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavid View Post
Hello Tim, was wondering if you are still happy with the hitch you had installed? And did they give you a weight rating? Do you think this is something that your dealer would sell and ship out? Thanks.
Hi CDavid,

I live in Canada. If you are still interested I could give you the name and number of the dealer and you could contact them and find out if they will ship. Let me know.

Tim
Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Hi CDavid,

I live in Canada. If you are still interested I could give you the name and number of the dealer and you could contact them and find out if they will ship. Let me know.

Tim
Hey Tim- That looks like the ticket for me. Would appreciate the name and address of the dealer who installed that set up for you. Could you also post a few more pics, with possibly a few from the underside angles? It sure would be helpful if I need to have one fabricated here in New Mexico, USA. Thanks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #28

Smile

Quote:
Hi CDavid,

Tim
Yes please post their name and number, I would really like to talk with them.

Thank you!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #29
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavid View Post
Yes please post their name and number, I would really like to talk with them.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Hey Tim- That looks like the ticket for me. Would appreciate the name and address of the dealer who installed that set up for you. Could you also post a few more pics, with possibly a few from the underside angles? It sure would be helpful if I need to have one fabricated here in New Mexico, USA. Thanks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Hey Guys the name of the place is RV City

http://www.rvcity.ab.ca

havnfun, I will try to get more pics. The trailer is already in winter storage mode but I will see what I can do.

Tim
Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Hey Guys the name of the place is RV City

http://www.rvcity.ab.ca

havnfun, I will try to get more pics. The trailer is already in winter storage mode but I will see what I can do.

Tim
Thanks a bunch Tim.
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #31

When using a bike rack on the rear of a trailer, there are at least two things that can go wrong: the attachment of the rack to the trailer, and failure of the rack itself.

My first fifth wheel was a Sunnybrook. I bought an receiver attachment that just clamped to the bumper. The rack was built for two bikes, and was a brand name (sorry, don't remember which). I put two bikes on the rack, and went on a trip. After several hundred miles, I was alerted by a motorist to a problem.

What I found was that the rack had broken and was dragging both bikes on the ground. The receiver attachment to the bumper and the bumper were still solid - just the rack failed. One of the bikes was severely damaged. The manufacturer of the rack said that standard bike racks are not recommended for use on the rear of a trailer, due to oscillations of the trailer when traveling.

This was all bad enough, but we were really lucky that the rack and bikes remained attached by cables I used to lock the bikes to the rack. If two bikes and the rack had fallen loose from the trailer and ended up on the roadway in front of highway traffic, well... it could have been bad.

As they say, YMMV.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #32
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
When using a bike rack on the rear of a trailer, there are at least two things that can go wrong: the attachment of the rack to the trailer, and failure of the rack itself.
Thats why I got a custom made hitch and a swagman bike rack. The swagman is RV approved.

Tim
Old 10-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Thats why I got a custom made hitch and a swagman bike rack. The swagman is RV approved.

Tim
X2 -- exactly what I did twice.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #34
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Ok here are a few more pics.

First 2 are of the way the bar is built and clamped around the ibeam area.

The next ones are the build and attachment of the receiver.

Hope these help.

Tim