Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Tim

New option for 2015

I notice that there is a new option for the 2015 Jay Flight. It is a Cargo accessory receiver. Does anyone have this option? I was wondering how it is attached to the trailer. Also wondering if it could be added to a 2014.

Thanks ... Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #2

It is bolted to flanges that are welded and stick down below the frame.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Tim

Thanks Grumpy, do you have a picture?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #4

I just saw a thread about this last week. Someone was asking about the cargo receiver and was told to search for a very specific video online to see it. Basically it is a rack that slides under the trailer. When you need it, you slide it out and its a pretty big surface with a 225 or 250 lbs rating. There is an arm that sticks up to hold bikes, or a decent size floor to hold a grill or coolers or whatever else. If you search for "cargo receiver", you should find that thread and then can look for the video.

It looks like a great idea. When I go to the Hershey show next month, I'll have to measure the ground clearance. That's the only concern that I have, as I have a steep and narrow driveway.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I just saw a thread about this last week. Someone was asking about the cargo receiver and was told to search for a very specific video online to see it. Basically it is a rack that slides under the trailer. When you need it, you slide it out and its a pretty big surface with a 225 or 250 lbs rating. There is an arm that sticks up to hold bikes, or a decent size floor to hold a grill or coolers or whatever else. If you search for "cargo receiver", you should find that thread and then can look for the video.

It looks like a great idea. When I go to the Hershey show next month, I'll have to measure the ground clearance. That's the only concern that I have, as I have a steep and narrow driveway.
Thanks spoon059 but this is something different. What was offered last year was a Bike rack/cargo tray system. This is a Cargo accessory "RECEIVER". I would imagine its a 2" receiver of some kind. I am interested in what it looks like, how it attaches and can it be added to 2014.

Tim
Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #6

From what I have seen, I believe it's welded between the I beams, not bolted.

I don't see why you can't add one, I did it to both my 26BH and 29QBH. Just had a custom hitch shop fabricate and attach it. The recent one cost right at $300 and I think the previous was close to $250.

We are very happy with ours. Use it for either a 4 bike swagman carrier or cargo tray, depending on the trip. I had the factory Bike/Cargo carrier, it did not meet my needs so I took it off and gave it away.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post

I don't see why you can't add one, I did it to both my 26BH and 29QBH. Just had a custom hitch shop fabricate and attach it. The recent one cost right at $300 and I think the previous was close to $250.

We are very happy with ours. Use it for either a 4 bike swagman carrier or cargo tray, depending on the trip. I had the factory Bike/Cargo carrier, it did not meet my needs so I took it off and gave it away.
Thanks clubhouse, do you have a picture?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #8

I can take a picture of mine later this week, I don't have one currently.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Thanks spoon059 but this is something different. What was offered last year was a Bike rack/cargo tray system. This is a Cargo accessory "RECEIVER". I would imagine its a 2" receiver of some kind. I am interested in what it looks like, how it attaches and can it be added to 2014.

Tim
From what I have seen in videos of the 2015's, they were calling it a receiver but it was the cargo tray. I might be wrong though. I find it fascinating that Jayco calls the same thing multiple names. I was looking at the options list and in one package they refer to the rear roof ladder as a "rear ladder", but when it is available as a stand alone option it is a "roof ladder". The picture they provide for both names is the same stock picture...
Old 08-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Tim

Quote:
From what I have seen in videos of the 2015's, they were calling it a receiver but it was the cargo tray. I might be wrong though. I find it fascinating that Jayco calls the same thing multiple names. I was looking at the options list and in one package they refer to the rear roof ladder as a "rear ladder", but when it is available as a stand alone option it is a "roof ladder". The picture they provide for both names is the same stock picture...
From looking at different dealer photos of trailers with this option it definitely looks like a 2 inch receiver. For conformation I have emailed Jayco to see what they say.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #11

Cool, I certainly hope so! I thought it was the slide out cargo tray. If you go to the 6:00 mark in this video, you will see that tray.

I love the idea, but am afraid it hangs too low. I will have clearance issues with something hanging down like that. A receiver hitch that doesn't stick down too far would be a fantastic option. Can't wait to see what they say. I will be at the Hershey RV show next month and try to take pics and report back here if you haven't heard from them!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Trust me it is bolted. So is the optional hitch on the Eagle FW. All you have to do is go to JAYCO's web site pull up the EAGLE series FW and look at the options it says "Bolt on hitch".

The difference is the cargo receiver is only good for adding a cargo basket, not to exceed 300 lbs and the hitch is good to tow a light boat or trailer up to 3,000. And why am I so sure, I just ordered a new PINNACLE and it comes with the cargo receiver and not the hitch. And I did look at the EAGLE as well.

EDIT:
Don't have time to look at the video right now, but if it is a cargo reveiver the sticker definitely says "NOT GOOD FOR TOWING"

2nd EDIT that is not what they are using for 2015. It is now a 2" receiver, but as I said only rated for 300 lbs and you supply the cargo carrier.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Cool, I certainly hope so! I thought it was the slide out cargo tray. If you go to the 6:00 mark in this video, you will see that tray.

I love the idea, but am afraid it hangs too low. I will have clearance issues with something hanging down like that. A receiver hitch that doesn't stick down too far would be a fantastic option. Can't wait to see what they say. I will be at the Hershey RV show next month and try to take pics and report back here if you haven't heard from them!
The Bike/Cargo Tray was the only option on JayFlight Travel Trailers till 2015 MY. Now they offer a 2" receiver not a tray.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Trust me it is bolted. So is the optional hitch on the Eagle FW. All you have to do is go to JAYCO's web site pull up the EAGLE series FW and look at the options it says "Bolt on hitch".

The difference is the cargo receiver is only good for adding a cargo basket, not to exceed 300 lbs and the hitch is good to tow a light boat or trailer up to 3,000. And why am I so sure, I just ordered a new PINNACLE and it comes with the cargo receiver and not the hitch. And I did look at the EAGLE as well.

EDIT:
Don't have time to look at the video right now, but if it is a cargo reveiver the sticker definitely says "NOT GOOD FOR TOWING"

2nd EDIT that is not what they are using for 2015. It is now a 2" receiver, but as I said only rated for 300 lbs and you supply the cargo carrier.
You very well could be correct. I was recalling from memory and honestly I didn't pay that close of attention because all I would ever use it for is my bike rack or cargo carrier...plus at that time I was already commited to buying used and having one fabricated knowing the bike/cargo tray didn't work for me.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
The Bike/Cargo Tray was the only option on JayFlight Travel Trailers till 2015 MY. Now they offer a 2" receiver not a tray.
Tried to link a pic but it didn't work
Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #16

I just looked at the online owners manual and it mentions the cargo receiver but doesn't include much info or a picture. The way they describe it, it certainly sounds like a 2" receiver, not a tray.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #17

Got it

Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #18
Tim

Thanks every one. I have been racking my brain on how to carry my bikes. It's not recommended to attach a receiver to the bumper and the dealer would not install a hitch nor would they recommend me getting one from a hitch shop. I didn't really want to add more tongue weight by getting an a-frame bike carrier. I could never understand why Jayco advertises that they are "The Family Trailer" but had no way to carry bikes. But now maybe this is different. My hope is that I will be able to adapt this to a 2014. Have to wait and see what Jayco says.

Tim
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
Tim

Finally heard back from Jayco. This was their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Jayco. The 2014 product was not designed or tested with the receiver hitch option. In that alone Jayco would not recommend the install. Can it be done? Anything is possible but again it is not something Jayco would recommend or have input on.

I like the "Can it be done? Anything is possible" remark. In other word it is possible to do but they can not reccomend it themselves. Anyway I talked to the other Jayco dealer in town and they have acctually been getting hitches made to fit on the Jayco trailers for a while. So I am getting one installed next week. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Tim
Old 08-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Finally heard back from Jayco.
I like the "Can it be done? Anything is possible" remark. In other word it is possible to do but they can not reccomend it themselves. Anyway I talked to the other

Tim
It is the CYA answer. Since they did not look at that possibility when engineering the unit they won't say ok. As you said the dealer has made the addition with no problems and besides he is the one that will do your warranty work so if he adds it he can't deny the coverage.