Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #1

New Owner FB-22

Hi All, I am the new owner of a new FB-22. I will be pulling it with a 2010 F-150 4x4, 11000lbs towing capacity. I will be using a Reese WD hitch. I have recently purchased a Honda 3000 generator that I will carry in the truck bed.
I am planning a trip to Alaska next summer. The only other trailers that I have towed were 10Ft U-Hauls.
I have been on several long RV trips using a Class B van. A TT experience will be new to me. Any advice or experiences will be appreciated.
Thanks
rockyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Backing up that new longer trailer will be easier then the short u haul. Short trailers react much more quickly when backing up and will get off course in short order. Pulling ahead is the same, just allow more room when passing/lane changing and turning. You say you have a WD hitch, I assume you also have sway control with that? A trip to Alaska, wow, would love to do that someday! I would try a few trips closer to home first though to get the hang of things and give everything a good checkout. Congrats on the new rig.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #3

Sounds nice , you wont have any problems towing the larger trailer , just take your time and you'll get the hang of it . The f150 will make light work of it , just get a good set of mirrors
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. My RV dealer suggested I try just the WD hitch for now. He feels that the 2010 F150 and the weight of the trailer will not cause sway. We will see.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroads View Post
Thanks for the replies. My RV dealer suggested I try just the WD hitch for now. He feels that the 2010 F150 and the weight of the trailer will not cause sway. We will see.
Honestly, we would've NEVER let you leave our lot without the Sway Control. New F150 or not. You have a wind sail behind you and you are a target for truckers all over the U.S. They see ya and want to blow by you to see if they can make the trailer walk. Short trips I can see as fine, but not long trips. I believe in peace of mind when traveling.

Had a customer who refused to buy the WD & SC last month. Trailer was very light (used Bantam Trail-Lite). First trip out a truck blew by him, trailer started to walk, spun his vehicle, trailer broke loose and rolled through the median about 14 times. All that was left was the dolly wheel and a frame. We are very thankful the trailer broke away and didn't roll the truck.

BTW, it was the first customer we ever had roll in 37 years. He only got away from here becuase the salesman was new and let him roll without anyone from Management approving it.

NEVER again! Your safety is our main concern.
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroads View Post
I gotta agree with CCI on this one. Why not consider a WD hitch that has integrated sway control built right into the system, such as the Reese Dual Cam or the Equalizer. These systems come highly recommended on RV forums and you do not have to buy a separate sway bar. And IMO they are much better then a sway bar. Your dealer is doing you and your family no favors by sending you down the road without sway control. This is not a place to pinch pennies, IMO.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Couldnt agree more on the sway control. So easy to add and relatively inexpensive for the peace of mind and towability it gives.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #8

I have the same setup as you, 2009 Ford F150 4x4, 2009 JayFlight 22FB. You will not need the sway control as it is built into the F150. http://www.fordf150.net/2010/2010-fo...duct-sheet.pdf
But do get a good sway bar system, I use Husky.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #9

Here's some more info on the F150 sway control. http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/#page=Feature3
Old 12-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
Here's some more info on the F150 sway control. http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/#page=Feature3
Sorry, but I'm still not convinced. Electronics fail, but when I put on my Equalizer Hitch I have peace in knowing I have 4 point sway with no computer chip to fail.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #11

Hi RockyRoads and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum. Enjoy your new tt!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #12

Your dealer did not consider cross-winds, wet road, or semi's blowing by you. I just drove across West Texas not using the anti-sway bar because I had lost one of the retaining clips. I noticed a difference.

The sway control on the truck only assists the truck by applying different braking pressures to the rear tires. It has no affect on the trailer brakes since that is a straight 12V feed to the entire braking system. Once the trailer begins to fishtail, there's nothing to stop it until it's ready. If it breaks loose, your only hope is that the break-away switch is working.

Given what you paid for your tow vehicle, TT, and WD hitch system, is the anti-sway bar really that much of an expense, given the amount of protection it affords. Some one will surely jump up and say they have been towing for years without one. Maybe they're lucky, maybe not. I would really think that I was responsible for an injury or fatality over saving a couple of hunderd bucks. Towing is serious business.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #13

Well said Bob.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #14

[QUOTE=The sway control on the truck only assists the truck by applying different braking pressures to the rear tires. It has no affect on the trailer brakes since that is a straight 12V feed to the entire braking system. Once the trailer begins to fishtail, there's nothing to stop it until it's ready. If it breaks loose, your only hope is that the break-away switch is working.
[/QUOTE]

The above statement is incorrect.
The Ford F-150 uses a more sophisticated trailer sway control system. By taking advantage of its integrated trailer-brake controller and roll stability control, the F-150 can apply both its own brakes and a trailer’s electric brakes without the driver's intervention to stop sway when the vehicle senses excessive rear yaw input from the trailer.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #15

I'm not an expert on the F150 so I won't argue those points. I'm only saying that the truck can only apply trailer brakes to both sides simultaneously because there's only one brake wire going through the 7-Way plug. That's no guarrantee that it will have much effect on a trailer that's in a fishtail. I agree that it may help to control sway from the rear of the truck.
I still contend that regardless of the level of sophistication in the 150, an anti-sway bar is still a cheap investment for the amount of trailer control it affords. My Tundra has the same type of anti-sway system and I still use the AS bar set-up.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 12-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm not an expert on the F150 so I won't argue those points. I'm only saying that the truck can only apply trailer brakes to both sides simultaneously because there's only one brake wire going through the 7-Way plug. That's no guarrantee that it will have much effect on a trailer that's in a fishtail. I agree that it may help to control sway from the rear of the truck.
I still contend that regardless of the level of sophistication in the 150, an anti-sway bar is still a cheap investment for the amount of trailer control it affords. My Tundra has the same type of anti-sway system and I still use the AS bar set-up.
Scroll down and watch the video. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/04...uper-duty.html
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #17

Interesting video. I still choose to use an anti-sway rig. If you choose not to, then that's your call.. have a nice day.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 12-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #18

Thanks all for the information.
I am aware that the New F-150 does apply control to the trailer
brakes to control sway. It is true that this occurs after the sway has started and it will keep it under control. On the other hand a sway bar will assist in stopping sway before it starts. With that said I will probably go for a sway bar to work in conjunction with the Ford trailer anti sway system. I believe that is as close to a fail-safe system as one can get. I have experienced driving a high profile vehicle in severe cross winds and it is not any fun.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
A great video and thanks for it! A wonderful "visual".

We have the new F-150 with the integrated brake control and anti-sway. Although we have the 29 footer tt, we originally had a Huskey (not what we payed for) with a one side sway bar. We white-knuckled it several times on a cross country trip back to California on our maiden voyage; ultimately the dealer in Cali installed the Equalizer hitch with 4-point sway control and no more intermittent sway probs*relief*.

I read somewhere if you have a trailer with 2500lbs or more, you should *seriously* consider a sway bar. Over 4500lbs, make sure you have a double sway bar (or Equalizer hitch). We found that to be true. (of course packing the tt correctly helps too).

Just our experience
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #20

All we sell is the Equalizer with 4 point SC. It's a fantastic system.