Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
New Owner Roof Repairs

I just picked up my '06 29BHS on Friday. Didn't have a chance to look at the roof before I bought it as it was in a storage yard. There were no signs though inside of any leaks. I finally climbed up on the roof on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised how good it looks considering we are in the desert. I did notice three minor issues though and considering my last trailer had an aluminum roof I wanted to be sure I am approaching this correctly.

1 - The front edge where the trim is between the aluminum and the rubber roof it appears the dicor is starting to crack a bit. I was just planning on putting new dicor on this. Should I remove any of the old stuff or just put another layer on?

2 - It appears a tree might of skipped along the drivers side edge up front. Doesn't look like it penetrated all the way through, just left little cuts in the rubber. I was just planning on covering this with a strip of Eternabond which is already on order.

3 - The skylight over the shower is cracked like it was hit with something. From what I understand I should just carefully remove it. Clean the roof of old sealant best I can without damaging it, and install a new skylight with a bead of dicor (or sealant recommended by the skylight manufacturer) and then another layer on top also covering the screws. My only concern here is if I should use any chemical cleaners, I've already read that mineral spirits can damage the roof.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

2006 Jay Flight 29BHS
1999 F350, XLT, 4x4, 6.8L V10, AT, CC, LB
northwindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Site Team
Your plan sounds good to me, I have just put new Dicor over the old on roof seams and around vents. Eternabond would be a good choice for the tears. Member SmokerBill just replaced his skylight on a 26BH, you may try and send him a PM and ask for tips.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote