Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

New RVers Questions

My wife and I just bought a 2009 Jay Flight 26BH. We had been contemplating getting a pop up or smaller TT for some time now, but I have just been assigned a temporary job two hours away from home that will keep me there for at least a year. So, we figured that if I would have to pay for an apartment, we may as well put about the same amount of money in a TT and then we would have our camper paid for and ready to use when I return. I have zero experience with TTs and am in need of some guidance.
I am going to ask several questions in this one post and any help is greatly appreciated. I did not find a “New to RVing” thread and searching the forum was taking too long, so here goes….
The camper is in near mint condition. The inside is immaculate-even has that new RV smell. The outside has only one small ding on the upper front corner, presumably from a limb collision, that has been fully repaired. It was bought from a large (they claim the largest) Jayco dealer, and was fully inspected.
I will tow it with my 2002 Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4 5.4L with tow package. The trailer came with what seems to be a very heavy-duty weight distro. hitch and sway bar, though I can’t remember the make.
TOWING QUESTIONS:
1. Overdrive or no Overdrive?
2. Cruise control or no cruise control?
3. I am no stranger to pulling trailers, however, I have never towed one with as much wind drag, so I was a little surprised by the amount of drag when I pulled it home. The trip was about 30 mile on a busy interstate. I mostly stayed in the right lane and ran 60-65 with the OD turned off. I was on the last ¼ of my gas tank when I left the dealer and the low fuel light was on by the time I made it home. Is that what I can expect? I am hoping because it was the last ¼ that it just went faster than the first 3/4s.
4. It was I bit breezy and I did experience some side to side when a big truck would pass me. Is that normal? Can I adjust the sway bar to reduce it?
SYSTEMS QUESTIONS:
1. When I got it home, none of the interior lights would come on. My truck does not currently supply power to the 12v system, I will get the required relays shortly. But, shouldn’t the 12v work the lights and other minor systems without being hooked to the vehicle or camp power?
2. I don’t plan on using the fresh water tank any time soon, but should I sanitize the system anyway or does it even matter if I am only on city water?
3. Since I will be in it on at least a semi-permanent basis, are the any tips for keeping it great condition and not allowing it to appear “lived in”? I am looking for tips on cosmetics as well as appliances?
Thanks in advance for your help!
ron305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

these r just "My opinions"

1. No overdrive
2. No Cruise
3. mileage for me-6.5 to 7.5 (6.0L 3/4ton) i figure mine is 1/2 of what it is when not towing
4. Yes - you can expect some side to side when semis or crosswinds are present

5. Yes - if the battery is charged and the inline fuse at the battery has been installed. in my experience the dealer takes them out while on the lot , so lo batt. alarms and such will not go off

6. couldnt hurt?
7. ??? i have got nothin ???
Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum ron305! As the days go by, you will get lotsa suggestions from the members. I don't have time right now, so hopefully someone else will be able to post some of the threads you can read to help you out
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ron305,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Just a couple of thoughts come to mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron305 View Post
snip........:
TOWING QUESTIONS:
1. Overdrive or no Overdrive? If you find your transmission hunting for gears, keep it out of OD.

2. Cruise control or no cruise control? Same as OD.

3. I am no stranger to pulling trailers, however, I have never towed one with as much wind drag, so I was a little surprised by the amount of drag when I pulled it home. Towing a TT is like pulling a heavy cinder block down the highway, and gets worse with head winds. Helps a lot to tow a TT without fluids in the tanks as well.

4. It was I bit breezy and I did experience some side to side when a big truck would pass me. Is that normal? Can I adjust the sway bar to reduce it? The push-pull feeling is normal, just allow as much room between you and the truck when you see one approaching from behind (don't over correct your steering when this happens). Adjusting the sway bar will not eliminate this particular condition. With a 29ft TT you may want to consider upgrading your WDH to a Reese HP Dual Cam sway control system (in lieu of the standard friction control sway bar).

SYSTEMS QUESTIONS:
1. When I got it home, none of the interior lights would come on. My truck does not currently supply power to the 12v system, I will get the required relays shortly. But, shouldn’t the 12v work the lights and other minor systems without being hooked to the vehicle or camp power? Sounds like a dead battery, but check fuses. Note: Leaving a fully charged battery hooked up to the TT while not in use can still drain the battery within 7-10 days. Disconnect the negative cable or pull the battery when the TT is not being used.

2. I don’t plan on using the fresh water tank any time soon, but should I sanitize the system anyway or does it even matter if I am only on city water? It would be good practice to sanitize the system spring and fall.

3. Since I will be in it on at least a semi-permanent basis, are the any tips for keeping it great condition and not allowing it to appear “lived in”? I am looking for tips on cosmetics as well as appliances? Treat it like your stick home and it will look good for a long time. Put a coat of wax on the outer siding at least once a year. Check the roof, seams, joints, windows, vents, caulking, etc., twice a year for any signs of leaks.

The following is Jayco's publicized specs on your 2009 Jay Flight 26BH:

Weights:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs.) 4,445
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 580
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.) 7,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs.) 3,055

Measurements:
Exterior Length 29'-1"
Exterior Height with A/C 130"
Interior Height (living area) 81"

Tank Capacities:
Fresh Water Capacity, includes water heater (gal.) 37
Gray Water Capacity (gal.) 32.5
Toilet/Black Wastewater Capacity (gal.) 32.5

Also, when working with weights, ignore dry and unloaded weights, focus on actual (or projected) "loaded" weights.

Check out some of the "STICKY's" within the different forums here, they may contain some helpful information, and/or provoke some additional questions as well.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

I have nearly the same setup.

OD off.
CC off most of the time, unless driving down nearly a flat road. Last weekend on the way back from Corpus stayed at 60 MPH CC on almost the entire way no problem, right at 2300 RPM the entire way. should AVG 10 MPG most of the time. On the way from NB to Corpus most of the time you should ave less than 10 MPG but on the way back you should avg over 10 MPG.

I stay right at 60 MPH 99 % of the time, staying at 60 MPH or under will help your MPG, be a lot more safe, and less wear and tear at only the cost of a few more min travel time. IMHO

You will feel a slight pull in the direction of the 18 wheeler but you will get use to it. I noticed on the way back from Corpus we had a side wind blowing on the street side of the trailer. We traveled in the right hand lane the entire way and it seemed as vehicles went to pass me the got next to the trailer and often drifted to the TT. Im assuming it was partially due to the suction and partially due to they were use to pulling slightly on the wheel to the right, when they got next to the TT it blocked the wind and they were still use to the wind and drifted closer to the TT. just a theory of mine.

Do you get yours at Crestview in Buda?
Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACSKINS View Post
snip.....I stay right at 60 MPH 99 % of the time, staying at 60 MPH or under will help your MPG, be a lot more safe, and less wear and tear at only the cost of a few more min travel time. IMHO.....snip
I agree, the highway sweet spot for my TV/TT combination is 62 MPH.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #7

Stickin' to a steady speed helps alot. I just pulled 2500 miles and I'm not a fan of cruise control while towing anything ...but.. I found the ability to maintain a constant rate of speed was far easier with the cruise on while going through the prairies. Oh I also got about 10mpg at 62mph(100km/h).
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron305 View Post
TOWING QUESTIONS:
1. Overdrive or no Overdrive?
2. Cruise control or no cruise control?
3. I am no stranger to pulling trailers, however, I have never towed one with as much wind drag, so I was a little surprised by the amount of drag when I pulled it home. The trip was about 30 mile on a busy interstate. I mostly stayed in the right lane and ran 60-65 with the OD turned off. I was on the last ¼ of my gas tank when I left the dealer and the low fuel light was on by the time I made it home. Is that what I can expect? I am hoping because it was the last ¼ that it just went faster than the first 3/4s.
4. It was I bit breezy and I did experience some side to side when a big truck would pass me. Is that normal? Can I adjust the sway bar to reduce it?
I tow my trailer 6-7000 miles a year..
1) Use overdrive UNLESS the transmission is hunting for a gear.
2) Use cruise it gets the best mileage
3)Yes fuel gauges are very inaccurate the top half is always larger than the bottom. Check to see if Titan tanks has one for your truck You have a large RV and a marginal tow vehicle (your near it's max) I would suggest 60 mph max
4) Do you have sway bar(s) or load levelars? most brands will let you put 2 sway bars on.. and make sure your tongue weight is near the 15% mark

SYSTEMS QUESTIONS:
1. When I got it home, none of the interior lights would come on. My truck does not currently supply power to the 12v system, I will get the required relays shortly. But, shouldn’t the 12v work the lights and other minor systems without being hooked to the vehicle or camp power?
2. I don’t plan on using the fresh water tank any time soon, but should I sanitize the system anyway or does it even matter if I am only on city water?
3. Since I will be in it on at least a semi-permanent basis, are the any tips for keeping it great condition and not allowing it to appear “lived in”? I am looking for tips on cosmetics as well as appliances?
1) was the battery charged up before you left the dealer? Is the fuse blown?
2)Yes sanitize the supply lines too
3)keep it clean wash and wax often
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #9

Hi. I am a new RV-er also. Is OD the same as the towing option I have on my Silverado?
It is on the gear handle and I push it in for the towing drive thingie. (I am a woman, don't know all the "man gear lingo") haha

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
Hi. I am a new RV-er also. Is OD the same as the towing option I have on my Silverado?
It is on the gear handle and I push it in for the towing drive thingie. (I am a woman, don't know all the "man gear lingo") haha

Man gear lingo...I like that..lol...

That button on the gear handle is called "tow-haul". You should use it whenever you are towing a trailer. It changes when the gears shift and will give you a better tow and is also supposed to be easier on the transmission. It is not the same as overdrive.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #11

When I am out in open country I use cruise all the time. Only use OD if your tow/haul system will allow it. Most smaller engines are better off not using OD.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #12

Doesn't the tow-haul button dis-engage the overdrive?
NewToMeJF26BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #13

TOWING QUESTIONS:
1. Overdrive or no Overdrive? I used to have a 2003 F-150 w/ Towing Pkg. I found overdrive was not very useful.

2. Cruise control or no cruise control? Flat out, it worked well

3. I am no stranger to pulling trailers, however, I have never towed one with as much wind drag, so I was a little surprised by the amount of drag when I pulled it home. Same here, I upgraded to an F-250 PSD

4. It was I bit breezy and I did experience some side to side when a big truck would pass me. Is that normal? Can I adjust the sway bar to reduce it? See above

SYSTEMS QUESTIONS:
1. When I got it home, none of the interior lights would come on. My truck does not currently supply power to the 12v system, I will get the required relays shortly. But, shouldn’t the 12v work the lights and other minor systems without being hooked to the vehicle or camp power? As mentioned, fuse or battery. Here is a diagram that will help when it comes time to hook up your charge power and any trouble shooting.

2. I don’t plan on using the fresh water tank any time soon, but should I sanitize the system anyway or does it even matter if I am only on city water? sanitize
3. Since I will be in it on at least a semi-permanent basis, are the any tips for keeping it great condition and not allowing it to appear “lived in”? I am looking for tips on cosmetics as well as appliances? Regular housekeeping & maintenance

2010 Jay Flight 22FB
2011 Ford F250 KR CC 4x4 PSD
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMeJF26BHS View Post
Doesn't the tow-haul button dis-engage the overdrive?
It might on some models....not on my Chevy.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
snip....not on my Chevy.
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
X2

Bob
X3. In tow haul mode on my truck it will still go into OD, but at a higher speed then out of tow haul. I rarely use OD while towing with my rig, just use 3rd gr.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #17

I use my overdrive about 80% of the time. I do not use my cruise. Watch your tach. How far do your rpms drop with overdrive on? I only kick the overdrive out when I am going up a hill. If your rmps dont drop much, then I would say dont use the overdrive. I tow our 23 EXP with a Ford Excursion with a 7.3 deisel 4x4. I tow at 55 to 58 mph which is 1500 rpms. When I kick the overdrive out it jumps up to 2200 rpms causing me to use about 22% more fule. I get 12/13 mpg at 55 and 9mpg at 64 or above.
jimlabowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #18

Thank for all the great responses! Yes, I did get it a Crestview-Buda.
ron305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #19

Thank you, Terry Man Gear Lingo Guy. :hihi:

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #20

Pulling the same trailer you have with a 4.7 litre Tundra, I get a tad less than 8 mpg at about 60. No problem with wind or sway with Husky WD hitch and single friction sway
bar. I do not use CC since in even slightly hilly areas it causes too much shifting.
I will let transmission get into OD (5th gear) especially in downhill stretches.
I would guess that your particular tv will determine how you operate it.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote