Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

New to Forum/"Is this a good deal?"

I am going to get a used 2015 264BHW tomorrow (70 tow miles on it). Seller will include WDH, electric tongue jack, external grey water tank, 19" flatscreen TV/DVD unit. All this for $11500. Do you think this is a good deal? Is 264BHW a good unit? Thanks for any input.
264BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Keystone RV which has some of the best prices in the country lists them new for 12,500, not sure about options. That looks like a fair deal with the extras you are getting, but Keep in mind also the 2 year warranty is not transferable.

#8034 - 2016 Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 264BHW for sale in Greencastle PA
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264BHW View Post
I am going to get a used 2015 264BHW tomorrow (70 tow miles on it). Seller will include WDH, electric tongue jack, external grey water tank, 19" flatscreen TV/DVD unit. All this for $11500. Do you think this is a good deal? Is 264BHW a good unit? Thanks for any input.
I can't say if that's a good deal or not because the prices in Canada are a bit higher. I do want to ask you if you have shopped around? When I bought my 2015 26bh (jay flight)elite I started off by looking at the 264BHW(swift) but after comparing the two side by side I decided to go with the jay flight, and for only $2000 more than the swift.. It has way more options and because it's not a 'lightweight' model the construction materials are better.. I've met lots of people at campsites who are new to TT's and regret buying the 264BHW(swift) instead of the Jayflight 26 bh
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Welcome!!!

Not sure where you are located, but the best thing you could do is to price a new unit at some dealers within the distance you are willing to drive, even if it doesn't include the wdh (entry level is about $200, go up from there), power tongue jack ($100 & up), gray tank (not sure of size-$?), and tv (maybe $150). Check RV Express and RV One for prices as well....

For me, that close to new price wise but no warranty, I would pass on the slightly used one and go for new if at all possible (financially). Big question, why is it for sale? BUT.... Can you get the price down more???

Is your tow vehicle enough for the trailer once loaded up? Make sure it is a good match with the trailer. All passengers, cargo in the vehicle, the wdh, and the trailers tongue weight are counted toward the payload of the vehicle. For a safe and stable tow, you generally want 12-15% of the trailers loaded weight for tongue weight. Some trailers are fine with less, some like more. The propane tanks and battery are not included in the manufactures "brochure dry weight or tongue/hitch weight".

Also make sure if you do go forward with the used 264, the wdh has the correct size bars for the loaded tongue weight.

Check everything! From tongue to bumper, roof to tires!!! Make sure the tires are inflated properly, heat (low tire pressure) will kill a tire quick!!!

Good luck!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Welcome!!!

Not sure where you are located, but the best thing you could do is to price a new unit at some dealers within the distance you are willing to drive, even if it doesn't include the wdh (entry level is about $200, go up from there), power tongue jack ($100 & up), gray tank (not sure of size-$?), and tv (maybe $150). Check RV Express and RV One for prices as well....

For me, that close to new price wise but no warranty, I would pass on the slightly used one and go for new if at all possible (financially). Big question, why is it for sale? BUT.... Can you get the price down more???

Is your tow vehicle enough for the trailer once loaded up? Make sure it is a good match with the trailer. All passengers, cargo in the vehicle, the wdh, and the trailers tongue weight are counted toward the payload of the vehicle. For a safe and stable tow, you generally want 12-15% of the trailers loaded weight for tongue weight. Some trailers are fine with less, some like more. The propane tanks and battery are not included in the manufactures "brochure dry weight or tongue/hitch weight".

Also make sure if you do go forward with the used 264, the wdh has the correct size bars for the loaded tongue weight.

Check everything! From tongue to bumper, roof to tires!!! Make sure the tires are inflated properly, heat (low tire pressure) will kill a tire quick!!!

Good luck!!!!
I looked at a 2016 and they wouldn't go lower than $14500 (no extras). Also, here in Illinois, you don't pay sales tax on a used TT (private seller) so I am saving that money as well. I am concerned about the warranty, however, I think of all the people who buy used and don't have it......hmmm. My tow vehicle is a "14 Silverado 1500 w/ V8. Thanks for all the good points.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
I can't say if that's a good deal or not because the prices in Canada are a bit higher. I do want to ask you if you have shopped around? When I bought my 2015 26bh (jay flight)elite I started off by looking at the 264BHW(swift) but after comparing the two side by side I decided to go with the jay flight, and for only $2000 more than the swift.. It has way more options and because it's not a 'lightweight' model the construction materials are better.. I've met lots of people at campsites who are new to TT's and regret buying the 264BHW(swift) instead of the Jayflight 26 bh
Thanks. This is a SLX Jay Flight 264BHW. Not sure about (swift)
Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. This is a SLX Jay Flight 264BHW. Not sure about (swift)
These were called JayFlight Swifts up until MY 2015 when Jayco started calling them SLX. The Swift/SLX are very similar to JayFlights but have less features, typically smaller tanks and GVWR. The appear to still be good units, but when you price out a JayFlight compared to a SLX it typically is about ~$2k difference and for that small of a difference many opt for the JayFlight. I know that is exactly what I did twice.

$11,500 is by no means a bad deal, but it's also not a amazing deal. I would probably come in with $9500 or $10k and see if you can get for that.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
I looked at a 2016 and they wouldn't go lower than $14500 (no extras). Also, here in Illinois, you don't pay sales tax on a used TT (private seller) so I am saving that money as well. I am concerned about the warranty, however, I think of all the people who buy used and don't have it......hmmm. My tow vehicle is a "14 Silverado 1500 w/ V8. Thanks for all the good points.
Was the $14,500 at a local dealer? On average, a "good deal" on a new travel trailer is 30% off msrp (if not more) for future reference.

Not sure what your sales tax % is, but that is a fair amount of savings as well!!! Interesting no tax on a used tt!!! And there are many untis purchased used that give years of great service. Just check it over closely!!!

Make sure you get a brake controller if you don't have the factory unit! Prodigy P2 or P3 are highly regarded! Also, a form of tow mirrors to see around the trailer, add ons or factory. The factory will require drilling a hole for the extra mounting stud that is on the tow mirrors.

Learn how to set up the wdh. Hopefully you don't have far to travel to get the 264 home. Get it loaded up, then adjust the hitch.

Not sure what GM suggests for the '14-1500 trucks. Look in your owners manual to see. It will state to return the weight lost from the front axle to "XX%". Start by measuring the front fender height without the trailer hooked up, then measure again without the wd bars "latched up". With the wd bars, return the front to the % stated in the manual.

Once you are initially set up, it is suggested to hit the local CAT Scales to see how your wdh is adjusted. You will want 3 weighs total, loaded just like you are taking a trip with all passengers and full gas tank .

1: Truck & trailer ready to roll, wd bars latched up
2: Truck and trailer, but wd bars in bed of truck
3: Truck only, wd bars in bed, leave hitch head in receiver

Report back with the numbers and we can figure all the weights.

When I weigh at a CAT Scale, I will go in and let the employee know I want to weigh 3 times, and ask if I can pay when done. Then, after weighing the truck only (unhook trailer at back of lot in semi parking spot), my wife will go pay and get the weight slips while I hook the truck and trailer back up.

The biggest issue with a 1500/150 is the payload as I mentioned. Just be smart of what you load in the truck bed and you should be fine (no cord of wood! Lol). Power wise you will have plenty depending on what gearing you have. Towing ~7200lbs loaded with our '10-Chevy 1500 CCSB 4x4 5.3/6spd/3.42 I never felt I needed more power here in Mi. Only reason we have a 2500HD now if we were over on payload.

Is this your first trailer? If so, don't hesitate to driveway camp (or very close to home or store) to see what you may want to have inside the trailer (cooking, cleaning, games, etc). Also keep a pen and a pad of paper to write things down as you think of them. Then after your first full year of ownership go through and see what you didn't use at all. Toss it! Lol

Keep us posted!!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Was the $14,500 at a local dealer? On average, a "good deal" on a new travel trailer is 30% off msrp (if not more) for future reference.

Not sure what your sales tax % is, but that is a fair amount of savings as well!!! Interesting no tax on a used tt!!! And there are many untis purchased used that give years of great service. Just check it over closely!!!

Make sure you get a brake controller if you don't have the factory unit! Prodigy P2 or P3 are highly regarded! Also, a form of tow mirrors to see around the trailer, add ons or factory. The factory will require drilling a hole for the extra mounting stud that is on the tow mirrors.

Learn how to set up the wdh. Hopefully you don't have far to travel to get the 264 home. Get it loaded up, then adjust the hitch.

Not sure what GM suggests for the '14-1500 trucks. Look in your owners manual to see. It will state to return the weight lost from the front axle to "XX%". Start by measuring the front fender height without the trailer hooked up, then measure again without the wd bars "latched up". With the wd bars, return the front to the % stated in the manual.

Once you are initially set up, it is suggested to hit the local CAT Scales to see how your wdh is adjusted. You will want 3 weighs total, loaded just like you are taking a trip with all passengers and full gas tank .

1: Truck & trailer ready to roll, wd bars latched up
2: Truck and trailer, but wd bars in bed of truck
3: Truck only, wd bars in bed, leave hitch head in receiver

Report back with the numbers and we can figure all the weights.

When I weigh at a CAT Scale, I will go in and let the employee know I want to weigh 3 times, and ask if I can pay when done. Then, after weighing the truck only (unhook trailer at back of lot in semi parking spot), my wife will go pay and get the weight slips while I hook the truck and trailer back up.

The biggest issue with a 1500/150 is the payload as I mentioned. Just be smart of what you load in the truck bed and you should be fine (no cord of wood! Lol). Power wise you will have plenty depending on what gearing you have. Towing ~7200lbs loaded with our '10-Chevy 1500 CCSB 4x4 5.3/6spd/3.42 I never felt I needed more power here in Mi. Only reason we have a 2500HD now if we were over on payload.

Is this your first trailer? If so, don't hesitate to driveway camp (or very close to home or store) to see what you may want to have inside the trailer (cooking, cleaning, games, etc). Also keep a pen and a pad of paper to write things down as you think of them. Then after your first full year of ownership go through and see what you didn't use at all. Toss it! Lol

Keep us posted!!!!
It was at a local dealer. In fact, when I told him about this deal, the salesman told me to seize it! This will be a 4 hour trip to bring the trailer home. The trailer will be unloaded, with just my wife and I in the truck. I am trusting that the seller will be providing the proper WDH/bars (assuming he bought with the trailer new) . I am moving up from a popup camper that I had a few years ago. I will look into all the things you mentioned. I may stop into an RV dealer before leaving town to get a second set of eyes on the WDH setup. Also, I did install the P2 in my truck yesterday! Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #10

YW!!! Save travels bringing the new rig home!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

Sounds like a deal ! That's a nice floorplan and 1/2 ton is Ok with that type its what I use, you won't forget you have a trailer attached but outside of mountains type terrain assuming you have one of the bigger engines and a tow package should be fine. I had only driven such a big trailer once before so it has been a bit of adjustment, but just take it easy and don't be afraid to get out and check where you are in tight spots / parking, avoid some gas stations for being too tight, use a spotter, and also helps to make a "pre flight" checklist as I've left the hitch latch undone...4 times now? luckily had enough weight to keep it from coming off, but you get the idea! Check the spare and look at tires carefully, some get sun damaged and cracked.

What's a external grey tank, one of those roller tanks?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
Sounds like a deal ! That's a nice floorplan and 1/2 ton is Ok with that type its what I use, you won't forget you have a trailer attached but outside of mountains type terrain assuming you have one of the bigger engines and a tow package should be fine. I had only driven such a big trailer once before so it has been a bit of adjustment, but just take it easy and don't be afraid to get out and check where you are in tight spots / parking, avoid some gas stations for being too tight, use a spotter, and also helps to make a "pre flight" checklist as I've left the hitch latch undone...4 times now? luckily had enough weight to keep it from coming off, but you get the idea! Check the spare and look at tires carefully, some get sun damaged and cracked.

What's a external grey tank, one of those roller tanks?
Yes, a roller tank I believe. Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #13

Bam! Towed great.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Congrats on the new rig. Nice looking combo.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #15

Awesome! Looks great!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #16

Thanks all! Camping this weekend!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #17

Looks Great! Congrats!
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #18

Congrats!!!! Rig looks great!!! Glad to hear it towed well.

It is hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like your wdh has trunnion bars. If so, with a top mounted coupler, it is possible for the wd bar to hit the trailer tongue frame (under the coupler) in a very sharp turn (usually backing into a campsite or driveway). The way around this is to add more tilt to the hitch head, while having more chain links under tension to maintain the same adjustment. Another way to get more clearance is to buy a riser ball, 1" or 2" added height, but you will need the be able to drop the hitch head on the shank the same amount.

If you can, take a closer pic of the hitch set up this w/e.

Have a safe and fun trip this w/e!!!

Old 10-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #19

Great looking rig!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #20

Nice rig right thar!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote