Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #21

Good looking rig, congrats
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:33 AM   #22

Thanks guys!

My son and i are heading out to a local campground this weekend for a "Dads and lads" outing. Somewhere around 30 dads and 45 lads give or take, all from our local school. Gonna be fun!

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #23

Home sweet home for the weekend. The kids are having a blast, must be 45 or more of them. The high 30s to low 40s temps dont seem to be fazing them a bit hahahah.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 05-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #24

Nice looking truck. I looked at Ram (not the Power Wagom though) this time around. I really liked the 6.4 gas 2500. Was very intrigued by the RamBox but was told at the time that there would be a problem with Fifth Wheel clearance. My Chevy D-max fell into my lap, and was the deal of a lifetime. No regrets, love my Diesel and can't wait to hook on to my fiver with it.
wfd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #25

Looks like a great Setup... I'm not a Dodge guy so did not realize Power Wagon's were still around. I remember seeing a Power Wagon on an old TV show I used to watch as a kid... can't remember which one though... it was a big Red one.

What size Equalizer are you running? How many washers are you using and what hole are the frame brackets mounted in?
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Looks like a great Setup... I'm not a Dodge guy so did not realize Power Wagon's were still around. I remember seeing a Power Wagon on an old TV show I used to watch as a kid... can't remember which one though... it was a big Red one.
Simon & Simon??
Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #27

Yup... That's the show.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #28

Ha, Simon and Simon.

The power wagon package started back up in 2005.

I will get the info on the hitch setup later tonight when i get back home. Whatever setup it is, it is how it was for my wifes '15 yukon. I think i need to do some changes to it. The hitch is the 10k model. Kinda ticks me off, i think it should be the 12.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #29

Quote:

What size Equalizer are you running? How many washers are you using and what hole are the frame brackets mounted in?
10k Equilizer. Frame mount bolts are in the middle holes (see pic). There is one hole showing on the bottom of my hitch. This truck comes from the factory a few inches taller than a standard 2500, so it may be different that what others are using.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 05-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #30

Thanks for the info... How many washers are you using?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for the info... How many washers are you using?
Dang, Im not positive but I think it is 6. Whatever it is, I dont think it is correct for the truck. It is set up for my wifes '15 Yukon, so I am sure I need to do some changes somewhere. I have to actually pull some measurements or get it weighed soon so I know what I need to do. That will be my next project.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #32

Thanks... I know it will not crossreference direct to my F250 but was curious, also mine is a 12K.

I'm still trying to get mine just right... I'm at 6 Washers with the Brackets dropped down a hole (1 hole on the top). Mine is 4WD so is pretty high and I have Air Bags, if I don't have the brackets dropped the bars are not level to the frame, they tilt up to the brackets and the bars pop pretty bad.

Heading out tomorrow for a 240 mile round trip weekender so will get to test it out some more. I really liked my 10K with our Hybrid we had but am still trying to get used to towing the BHBE, it is a monster even with a F250 and Air Bags.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks... I know it will not crossreference direct to my F250 but was curious, also mine is a 12K.

I'm still trying to get mine just right... I'm at 6 Washers with the Brackets dropped down a hole (1 hole on the top). Mine is 4WD so is pretty high and I have Air Bags, if I don't have the brackets dropped the bars are not level to the frame, they tilt up to the brackets and the bars pop pretty bad.

Heading out tomorrow for a 240 mile round trip weekender so will get to test it out some more. I really liked my 10K with our Hybrid we had but am still trying to get used to towing the BHBE, it is a monster even with a F250 and Air Bags.
Ha, yes it is. Sure there are way bigger trailers, but this aint no tinker toy either.

Have you done the measuring test at the front fender yet to determine that your hitch setup is as close as it should be? Until that is done (or weighing it), you never really will know.

When I got my truck, I just put the hitch straight into receiver with no changes what-so-ever from where it was on the wifes rig. The height of our receivers are nearly identical, so as far as the up and down adjustment are concerned I think it is spot on for my truck. But I am not so sure on how much weight is being distributed to the front. The truck seems to sit pretty dang level by eye, but the eyeball is basically the extent of my adjustments so far.

I think something is off a bit, mainly because when I towed it last weekend (probably hardly 35-40 miles total) it just didnt seem to tow very well. Every now and then I felt a little sway with the wind and other vehicles driving by. When using her car towing it I never felt the slightest bit of a flinch (and we have logged lots of windy miles with that setup).

Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #34

Yes... The week after we picked it up I had off from work and spent a couple days measuring, adjusting, towing, measuring, adjusting and towing again all with the truck and trailer loaded out.

Headed out today on a 120 mile trip. Started out in some super strong crosswinds and FL Summer thunderstorms... I thought the Camper was going to blow over as it was definetly moving the truck around like a corkscrew. I was heading West, winds out of the North coming off the river.

We turned South on I-95 and went thru lots of rain running about 45 mph with traffic. After the storms died down the rig all of a sudden towed like it should and this was actually the first time I was comfortable towing it since we got it. We had a tail wind vs crosswinds. Eventually we turned West again with winds out of the North and it was not as squirly.

I "think" I have found the setting for now. My receiver is turned with the long drop up and the hitch all the way down, I was incorrect earlier and I have 7 washers with the brackets dropped down with 1 hole at the top so the bars are nearly parellel with the frame. I had 25 PSI in the Air Bags to level the truck out after setting it up with no air.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself but I was happy with the way it towed today after I got out of the strong crosswinds. I feel the truck being so high and the tall A/T tires that came wth the FX4 package and the soft springs are the main issues for me... Not necessarily the hitch.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes... The week after we picked it up I had off from work and spent a couple days measuring, adjusting, towing, measuring, adjusting and towing again all with the truck and trailer loaded out.

Headed out today on a 120 mile trip. Started out in some super strong crosswinds and FL Summer thunderstorms... I thought the Camper was going to blow over as it was definetly moving the truck around like a corkscrew. I was heading West, winds out of the North coming off the river.

We turned South on I-95 and went thru lots of rain running about 45 mph with traffic. After the storms died down the rig all of a sudden towed like it should and this was actually the first time I was comfortable towing it since we got it. We had a tail wind vs crosswinds. Eventually we turned West again with winds out of the North and it was not as squirly.

I "think" I have found the setting for now. My receiver is turned with the long drop up and the hitch all the way down, I was incorrect earlier and I have 7 washers with the brackets dropped down with 1 hole at the top so the bars are nearly parellel with the frame. I had 25 PSI in the Air Bags to level the truck out after setting it up with no air.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself but I was happy with the way it towed today after I got out of the strong crosswinds. I feel the truck being so high and the tall A/T tires that came wth the FX4 package and the soft springs are the main issues for me... Not necessarily the hitch.
Yes, I think even with the best setup all dialed in there is going to be some swaying action going on in extremely windy conditions. There is just too much wind resistance back there. Its the swaying and eerie feelings you get when the towing situation is perfect (no wind, flat ground etc.) that make you know something isnt setup right yet.

If you are comfortable in "normal" towing conditions, you are probably very close to being dialed in.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #36

BTW, my hitch was originally setup with 5 washers for my wife's Yukon. After measuring for this truck, I am now at 6 washers. I will see how this feels... we have a long travel camping trip coming up this weekend

Old 05-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #37

Tow Rig

We had to do the same thing, we had a 2010 F-150 which was great for our smaller TT, but in April we bought a Jayco JayFlight 28RLS and it was just to heavy for the truck. We were very lucky to find a really nice and clean 2007 GMC 2500 HD with low miles, we just took the 2 together for the weekend and the truck did great! My husband is still going to put Airbags on and do something with the shocks but all in all we love it. Our Rigs are very similar, I am not sure how to add a picture.
Shary1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shary1963 View Post
We had to do the same thing, we had a 2010 F-150 which was great for our smaller TT, but in April we bought a Jayco JayFlight 28RLS and it was just to heavy for the truck. We were very lucky to find a really nice and clean 2007 GMC 2500 HD with low miles, we just took the 2 together for the weekend and the truck did great! My husband is still going to put Airbags on and do something with the shocks but all in all we love it. Our Rigs are very similar, I am not sure how to add a picture.
Congrats on the new setup! It sure feels good, doesn't it!?