Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinCT View Post
I'm not sure if the link will show up below but there is a video on Youtube of them building a Jayflight. Its a very fast process. Probably faster without cameras around.
I've referenced that video several times. It's not something I'd let my marketing guy publish if I was CEO.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #42

That anti-Jayco video was posted my some guy that has an affiliation with Lance RV's. He denies any affiliation with Lance but he has posted hundreds of Lance videos. It also looks like the video is sped up a bit from the original video posted by Jayco. The bottom is that Jayco is not the only one that assembles in a hurry. I'll bet 95% of the RV manufacturers work the same way. A thorough PDI is critical. As mentioned here many times, owners really need to do research on RV care and maintenance. They also need to up their skills in the repair department. At least for minor repairs.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #43

I Almost bought from them but really glad I didn't as the trailer would have been to heavy for my TV.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #44

I looked at a new Coachman Freedom express awhile ago , Brand new & already I saw 3 faults just on a quick look around. Side of cabinet was hanging off & you could see the staples , seam at side of kitchen counter was coming apart, fan in bath ceiling had caulking from roof area dangling into fan area. Scared me off & this was from a very reputable dealer. They said all would be repaired before I took possession. It was also to heavy for TV at the time. I think all of these travel trailers are put together without any quality controls? I could never run a business that way.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #45

When I visited the factory last April, every unit was "gone over" by a crew before it left the line. Trailers are on a roller as they go down the production line so a level would be of no use. Templates are used extensively as the unit comes together. If you take the 100,000's of thousands of units they produce yearly, the quality issues are not that great. We had nothing of any consequences on our unit, and lived in it for 5 months right out of the factory. Every component worked properly, never had to return to the dealer (not that we could) for anything. Did have one small issue with the radio connecting to the TV and they sent us a new radio with no questions asked. I installed it myself. I see lots of Jayco's working at campgrounds and almost always get an I love mine from their owners.

Anyone can have issues and in a perfect world they would never happen, but to me, it's more important what they do after the sale that counts. As far as comparing them to a car dealership, it's a total different animal. A car dealer is a franchise, an RV dealership is not a franchise and most handle a number of different brands. The factory has no control over the dealership, and a dealership has no obligation to perform warranty work on any unit.

I purchased from RV Express in Middlebury Indiana. They did a good PDI as did I. If I had an issue I could not take care of and my local dealer didn't want to take care of it, I saved enough that I would just hire a local company to deal with it.

In my opinion for the money Jayco produces a good product at a fair price. I'm a happy camper...literally

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #46

That is why I am only looking at Jayco's. 2 yr warranty & favorable reports from owners. I do have a question on warranty. If you are on the road in the middle of anywhere & you need warranty work done will anyone do it that isn't a Jayco dealership? Will you get reimbursed from Jayco if work is done by someone other than Jayco?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #47

I have been happy with our trailer as well. True there are somethings I shake my head at that was not assembled well but I have not found anything that I would consider going back to the dealer for. Much easier to fix myself.

For the price you pay for a second home I am more than happy. Now if I was spending 6 figures and saw the same sloppy construction I would not be as happy.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #48

I understand this is business as usual with RV's. There is no perfect unit out there and as long as they build them this way we'll have to accept it or don't buy it.

It's not just Jayco. They all do it. The exterior walls are mated and dimensions are controlled. I can see where no levels are needed. It's the interior where a level could be used. Check out post #17. One sure would have been handy here.

I can't tell you how many unit's I've seen with the interior doors out of alignment, the bottoms or tops at least 1/4" sticking out past the jamb, not latching properly, and on and on. Some of these were at RV shows where pride should be evident.

That's what makes me wonder where the quality control is. If they have crews looking over units before they leave the factory, they must be saying let it go out, the dealer can fix it, (post #17) again as an example. No excuse for this quality.

I'll deal with my issues when my TT comes in, and I expect there will be some. My PDI will be pain for my dealer before I accept delivery.

Down the road I'll fix what I can myself and return to the dealer when needed.

I'm lucky that I'm handy enough to do a lot of repairs and mod's myself. For those who can't, who have to take their unit to a dealer for any problems, they are the one's who suffer. The wasted time for them , the loss of be able to use there unit, and having there TT tied up at a dealer for weeks for minor issues and repairs is, I'm sure is frustrating.

Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #49

This is just 2016 corporate America. The focus is on expenses and profit. Customers and employees no longer matter. The bean counters run the companies.

I say this as a continuous 32 year employee of an American corporation. I've seen all the changes first hand. I don't like where we are as a nation right now.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #50

etex211, Exactly my opinion. Being retired it's sad to see where my company is also.

My son-in-law works for the same one I retired from. His stories are disappointing on where they are now.

Still the best country in the world.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #51

I fine it amazing, that they can build a unit, which moves down the highway, twisting and bouncing and still have doors etc that still work. Your stick and brick settles a 1/2" and cracks appear, doors stick. The new "small home" phase has tiny homes priced at upwards of $70,000. For a unit that has nothing more than you find daily at an RV center for $25,000.
I think the industry does a good job making an affordable product that allows millions of Americans to experience travel and our country in comfort and safety. Are they perfect, no, but, Jayco does a great job at customer service and tries to make it right.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #52

My advice is check EVERYTHING at the PDI! On thing I didn't check is the macerator on mine. Did a weekend shake down at local campground. The thing didn't come on. Brought it back for this and a few other things. Technician told me the fuse was missing and not labeled is why I couldn't find it. Then he tells me after he installed the fuse still nothing, he found no wire connected to the back of the panel from the macerator. He had to run a wire from the fuse panel to the macerator switch. I guess not everything is checked before it leaves the factory. You would think Jayco would know who the macerator installer is going down the line, look at warranty work from dealers and say "Hey, who installed the macerator on unit ****? You left the power wire off Dingbat, don't do it again!" If it was my company, well, never mind, it's not my company!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #53

Wags, I agree with you that these units hold up pretty well considering what they are put through.

This will be my 1st TT. Been rv'ing since 1973. I've owned everything except a 5TH wheel.

I realize my Jayfeather is a lightweight, fairly entry level of TT. Obviously material quality is not up to par compared to a more costly and top of the line unit.

Regardless of cost there should not be a difference in how they are assembled. Plumb is plumb and level is level whether it's a $70K unit or a $25K unit. It's not hard to see if something needs correcting before it leaves the factory.

Like Mountain Cajun says, Jayco should be tracking warranty issues and determining if someone is consistently dropping the ball during production.

I will enjoy my TT as much as all my other RV's. Can't wait to pick it up and hit the road. Wireman
Old 03-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #54

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Wags, I agree with you that these units hold up pretty well considering what they are put through.

This will be my 1st TT. Been rv'ing since 1973. I've owned everything except a 5TH wheel.

I realize my Jayfeather is a lightweight, fairly entry level of TT. Obviously material quality is not up to par compared to a more costly and top of the line unit.

Regardless of cost there should not be a difference in how they are assembled. Plumb is plumb and level is level whether it's a $70K unit or a $25K unit. It's not hard to see if something needs correcting before it leaves the factory.

Like Mountain Cajun says, Jayco should be tracking warranty issues and determining if someone is consistently dropping the ball during production.

I will enjoy my TT as much as all my other RV's. Can't wait to pick it up and hit the road. Wireman
Yea that's true. Assembly should be consistent through & through no matter how much the trailer cost. I think of it as, if I buy a Cessna airplane, but also like the lear jet, which one will get me back on the ground in one piece after a flight.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #55

I know mine's been though heck. A couple of time I had to make emergency stops, slamming on the brakes. You can imagine how much that would torque the structure of the TT, but everything still fine. Coming up on around 50k road miles with it now, and that includes some pretty rough roads.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:26 PM   #56

I think your experience is normal. We finally got our 23mds last month after almost a 4 1/2 wait and found the following: toilet set crooked, water pump not tightly bolted down, outdoor shower leaked, water supply line under sink leaked (not tightened enough) towel ring in bathroom placed so low on wall that even a wash cloth lays on the vanity. Cloths hanging rods in both closets set so low shirts and pants fold over onto the floor, also rods placed to close to door so you have to push clothes in to close the door. Floor in one closet falling off due to nails missing the nailing surface. Little piddly stuff that would have taken maybe an extra hour to do right. Makes me think though; gee wonder if any suspension parts installed by the same guys?
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 PM   #57

Had many minor things that I fixed myself. Like the Gray and Black water tanks labeled backwards on the Monitor Panel. I just made new labels.

The main problem was deliberate. The water filter which is in a box you have to remove in the rear storage area. Just have to remove anything stored in there, and take out a few screws. The deliberate problem was whoever did that area had wrapped to wiring bundles and a water line around the filter so tight that you couldn't get the tool to remove the housing on it.

This had to be deliberate!!! I cut the water lines and removed the housing and put in a short piece of hose to reconnect the line. I now use the blue ones that attach to the hose. No cover to remove, and simple to install. I wish the worker, who had to be laughing his ass off when he did this, the loss of his job!!!
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've bought 3 Jayco trailers new. A '93 1208 pop-up, an '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid, and the X20E in my sig. All 3 I feel have solid construction but mediocre fit and finish. Little things like misaligned doors, trim around the bathroom not fully glued down, loose screws around the microwave. Some stuff we caught on the PDIs, some stuff that I missed. Nothing so bad that I was willing to leave it at the dealer for 2 months waiting to fix.

What I will say is that if we are expecting nearly flawless delivery, I think we'd also be paying far more for the units than we are.
You are exactly right.......
Everyone wants top quality and cheap prices.
I am a lot happier with my Jayco than the Mobile Suites I had before.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #59

I don't own a Jayco, yet. My TT will probably get sold this summer and I'm probably buying a new TT in the fall... as a retirement gift to myself. I have a friend... a very good friend... that has Jayco Eagle TT now. I am glad because my friend is NOT handy. I work on his stuff when the need arises, and this one has been stellar, so far. Yes, he's my very best friend. His first trailer was made by Keystone. I worked on it more than my own TT. Based on his experiences so far, I'm probably going to buy a Jayco Eagle or White Hawk TT.

Just about all RV manufacturers pay assembly employees by the piece. The quicker they can get that cabinet screwed in and go to the next one, the more they make. So, often if they need 4 screws, they may only use 3 or worse yet, 2... Anyone that thinks they do serious quality control is sadly, naive. Bear in mind that this is not just a Jayco problem, it's definitely industry wide.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #60

When we toured the factory, we were told they get paid by the unit. They work in teams, each doing a different operation. They work together so all rely on the other members. As the unit moves down the line each member or team of members does their part, and then it moves to the next station. They have a quota for the day, when they get that quota filled they can leave. Be it 4 hours or 8 hours. They were doing 13 JayFlights the day we were there.

All the panels , cabinets etc are preassembled in a loft area and slide down to match up with the unit. Very efficient impressive operation. They also have a team that goes over and checks and "fixes" things before it goes out for deliver. I was told they do track warranty issues with each team.