Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #21

I guess you can count me as one of the lucky ones been out in our new trailer 5 times now and have had no issues!

Now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop!
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #22

The hammer ultimately falls on Jayco for the quality control and construction practices. Paying a guy $ 15-20/hr to do a 20 minute inspection of units before they leave the factory would go a long way to help erase a lot of the negative opinions.

It's all these little things that can easily be caught that rubs me the wrong way.

As stated, I wonder where the levels are.

I wonder how many of these guys are Amish and if so, what they think. I guess it's a pay check and that's good enough.

Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #23
Site Team

If in fact there is a quota system without QC there things will never change as there would be little incentive to do so. This would promote a "let`s get this thing done so we can go home" approach. And as the old cliche says "this thing must have been built on a Friday" would be very true as they want to get done even more for the weekend or a holiday. An hourly wage paid until the shift ends with regular QC checks would be more likely to produce better quality and reduce company costs through warranty claims. And if they inspect every 10 units and the one they inspect is built like crap it seems that would tell them changes need to be made on the line. Just my 2 cents worth but then what to I know about manufacturing.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I wonder how many of these guys are Amish and if so, what they think. I guess it's a pay check and that's good enough.

Wireman
I was told it was a little over 50% of the workers are Amish.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #25

Thanks to everyone for the comments so far. We've found additional issues - the pantry door doesn't close properly - it's mounted oddly. The fireplace was mounted low - there's a 1/2" gap above it. The bottom skirt near the wheels is attached to the frame with aluminum strips screwed to the sheeting, and one is completely off - looks like they stripped the screw hole and just said, "forget it". This is the kind of QC I expect from my 8 year old.

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and see if I can drop it off. We won't be camping for a bit after this weekend anyway.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #26

So many times I read on the forum about Jayco's Two Year Warranty. But why is it that defects that leave the factory Have to be covered under a Warranty. My impression of a warranty is that it should cover defects that occur After a unit is sold and delivered not to cover defects that were shipped before sale and delivery. Just my opinion and feelings but when units are shipped with defects it just shows a lack of Quality Control. As someone else said it falls back to Jayco but it appears that Jayco passes the defects to the dealer and then the dealer will back charge Jayco for any repairs that need to be made. Seems like a lot of extra cost is involved.

Don't get me wrong here. I have owned 4 Jayco RV's and have been very happy with all of them. And would buy again if the time comes. Although all have been used units.. The quality has always been present. But then maybe I also have been lucky.

Just an old saying. Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time but always enough time to make it correct.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
Is it the door that's off or the trim?
The trim was mounted by someone wearing beer goggles.
This is the other side.
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #28

I know Jayco has some issues, but I can honeslty say that I have owned one other brand and have seen other brands that friends have owned. In general I think Jayco has one of the best products out there at this time.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #29
Site Team

Something to consider, our initial quality poll results which overall are not too bad.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-31120.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #30

Overall I am definitely happy with my trailer. I would most likely buy another Jayco.

I think some of my annoyances are more the fact that I've taken my trailer back to the dealer and their fixes are what I question as substandard like their carpet fix.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...s-33520-2.html

One of the smaller items on my list was a missing moulding. I asked them to put one on and their fix was to color the wood with a marker so it was less noticeable.

Their work doesn't seem top notch considering the techs always like to boast they are Red Seal qualified when I've been at the dealership.
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
It is a shame that this appears to be a ACCEPTABLE normal and that " it is the same with all manufactures" As long as the consumer continues to accept units that are "NORMAL" it really doesn't make a difference how long a warranty is for 1 year 2 years. These defects that come form the construction of a unit should never leave the factory unfinished...
I completely agree. Just as buyers shouldn't take delivery until flaws are corrected, dealers shouldn't either. THAT would catch the attention of the factory. But, dealers being dealers, that is not likely.

As for the comparison with cars, I don't see it. Most of the auto industry problems can be linked to bad components, i.e., Takata airbags. Cars seldom leave the factory with a seats not bolted to the floor or windshields you can see daylight around the edges. But then, they don't have line workers running around like gerbils so they can get out X cars today and go home.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #32

In my life I've seen the facts of life. "Never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over". That has become the norm in the printing industry as well. Even when I point it out to the customer that THEIR artwork has problems they just say run it and we'll fix it next time. I HATE sending out crap.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #33

I'm not sure if the link will show up below but there is a video on Youtube of them building a Jayflight. Its a very fast process. Probably faster without cameras around.

BruceinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #34
Site Team

Yes, that video has been out there for a while. The great part is it is a Jayco PR video.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #35

Funny, I never saw anyone use a level. I hope there moving like gerbels because of the video.

Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #36

Too bad that there aren't many dealer reviews in places like "Angie's List" or similar. I found it frustrating to get any general idea of how well/poorly a particular place may treat its customers.
In the end, it was a just-by-chance long conversation with the owner of my current dealer (Hilltop Trailer, Minneapolis) that made my decision on what brand and what dealer. Particularly was his comment that they had the highest warranty claim rate of any Jayco dealer - because they made sure everything was 100% BEFORE releasing a unit to a customer. But he also spent a lot of time discussing his overall business "philosophy" about staff, customers and products. To date, there are many places as a customer things could have gone wrong for me, but they have been on top of it every time, and gone the extra mile to make sure.
So there are excellent ones out there. But finding them can be frustrating, as it is kind of a needle in a haystack endeavour.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #37

Biggest thing I can suggest is do your own walk through before you sign and make them have it right before you sign. Make them hook it up to power and try everything out, all doors windows etc.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #38

I've bought 3 Jayco trailers new. A '93 1208 pop-up, an '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid, and the X20E in my sig. All 3 I feel have solid construction but mediocre fit and finish. Little things like misaligned doors, trim around the bathroom not fully glued down, loose screws around the microwave. Some stuff we caught on the PDIs, some stuff that I missed. Nothing so bad that I was willing to leave it at the dealer for 2 months waiting to fix.

What I will say is that if we are expecting nearly flawless delivery, I think we'd also be paying far more for the units than we are.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTampa View Post
Thanks to everyone for the comments so far. We've found additional issues - the pantry door doesn't close properly - it's mounted oddly. The fireplace was mounted low - there's a 1/2" gap above it. The bottom skirt near the wheels is attached to the frame with aluminum strips screwed to the sheeting, and one is completely off - looks like they stripped the screw hole and just said, "forget it". This is the kind of QC I expect from my 8 year old.

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and see if I can drop it off. We won't be camping for a bit after this weekend anyway.
Would that be the dealer on McIntosh rd?
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Would that be the dealer on McIntosh rd?
Yes.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote