Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

New TT

We just brought home our new Jayfeather 23RLSW and I noticed the batteries are reading 1/3 on the sensor panel. We drove it 3 hours from the dealership. Did we get two bum batteries or ??? Other than that quandery, we love it and we are so excited to get back on the road.
Mauigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new Jayfeather.

The 12v connection to your tow vehicle does not supply enough amperage to charge your battery(s). Connect to a house outlet or to campground power, make sure your converter and main breakers are on, and it should fully charge your battery(s) in a day or two.

Your battery(s) are low probably due to the parasitic drain from the propane/CO sensor etc. AFAIK, dealers don't disconnect the battery while on the lot nor put units on a charger to keep the battery up.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #3

Also assume the battery supplier was the low bidder and the dealer abused the battery. That way you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #4

Congratulations on your new Jayfeather! Agree with oldmanAZ and TaftCoach about your batteries.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #5

Depends on the dealer. The CW where I buy doesn't put the batteries in the unit until they sell it. They have to use those portable 'jump boxes' when a customer wants to see anything working before then. Not unique to CW, most of the reviews I've seen on youtube that were filmed at dealer lots use the same jump boxes. Imagine the liability of keeping 500 batteries or more in a constant state of charge as they are sitting there on the lot being walked through.. too much time and money involved. If a customer were to turn on the lights and play with some of the stuff in the camper, they could easily destroy the batteries by going far below 12 volts before a lot person catches it. + parasitic drain, they just leave the batteries out of the unit until sold. This practice keeps noobies from breaking slideouts, water pumps, and melting water heaters in the dealers lot.

I'd be a little concerned if my new camper didn't have a full charge on delivery. They plug them in for the PDI, they are new batteries which should be charged by the dealer before they install it + driving should have trickle charged. Definitely keep an eye on it. My battery showed 13 volts on delivery (13.2 actually). I wouldn't put it past a dealer to install a partially charged battery.. so you might be fine, but it's still a red flag. Driving around for 3 hours won't fully charge a dead battery, but it will charge it eventually, so the question is did they give you a dead battery in a brand new camper. Or is the battery just bad. If you have a real charger, maybe take the battery off the camper and see if it will hold 13 volts for a few days once charged. Or as someone else said, plug it in at home for a couple days. Use a real multi-meter to confirm your charge levels.

My reply is based on the assumption that you just bought it and brought it home and it hasn't been sitting in your driveway for a week, unplugged.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

Did you see how much charge it had before you left with it? If it was almost dead, than it just needs more time, or home hookup like mentioned above. But if it had a good charge before, then something else is wrong.

One thing to check is make sure you have the charging voltage at the pin on the TV plug in. I had that problem, and assumed it was live, but checked with a meter and it was dead.

Apparently Chevy leaves the fuse for that out. I took it to the dealer, and they knew immediately what was wrong, they put a fuse in, and all was well. They told me the trucks were shipped without it being installed, I have no idea why.

Just something to check, or maybe a blown fuse.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

My 2011 F-150 needed both a fuse and a relay. The dealer, thankfully, asked me if I towed a trailer that had a battery. They installed that for me before i left with my new truck.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Depends on the dealer. The CW where I buy doesn't put the batteries in the unit until they sell it. They have to use those portable 'jump boxes' when a customer wants to see anything working before then. .
Bansai - do you shop at the CW on W. Colfax? That's where we bought our X213 in September.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Bansai - do you shop at the CW on W. Colfax? That's where we bought our X213 in September.
Yes That's the one. We bought ours in late July. As bad of a rap as CW usually gets, I was really happy with our experience there. You?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes That's the one. We bought ours in late July. As bad of a rap as CW usually gets, I was really happy with our experience there. You?
So far, so good. Haven't had any issues to deal with, but we haven't had the X213 out in the woods yet either.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #11

In your kitchen you have a bank of 3 drawers with an electrical outlet above, and behind that inlet there's nothing but empty space. My TT had the same condition but as you know storage is at a premium. So I pushed that panel out and moved that inlet to the left and in it's place I made a drawer to hold our silverware. This was a very easy mod and as you know it's something you'll use many times every day.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
In your kitchen you have a bank of 3 drawers with an electrical outlet above, and behind that inlet there's nothing but empty space. My TT had the same condition but as you know storage is at a premium. So I pushed that panel out and moved that inlet to the left and in it's place I made a drawer to hold our silverware. This was a very easy mod and as you know it's something you'll use many times every day.
I think you replied to the wrong thread Either that or I'm losing it...

Like the mod none the less.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

Quote:
I think you replied to the wrong thread Either that or I'm losing it...

Like the mod none the less.
I'm in the right spot, Mouigirl has a New 23RLSW with a kitchen layout very similar to mine and I thought I'd show her that waisted space that could be put to good use.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I'm in the right spot, Mouigirl has a New 23RLSW with a kitchen layout very similar to mine and I thought I'd show her that waisted space that could be put to good use.
10-4, I was just confused

Looks like you replaced your stove with a pretty awesome burner / wood counter Another awesome space saver.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
10-4, I was just confused

Looks like you replaced your stove with a pretty awesome burner / wood counter Another awesome space saver.
Actually I did a little more than that. When I took the stove out I moved the microwave down in its place, it's just a simple swap-out. That space is big enough for a wave and the regular cooktop and Jayco did that at one time that's where I got the idea. No cutting involved, they both fit in that space. My wave is up about 3" so I could just lower it but I didn't want the 3 burner.
I have 2 of those butane burners that we use both inside and outside and sometimes 1 goes to the beach. The empty spot from the wave switch doubled our storage space.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #16

Thumbs up Genius idea!!!

Thanks for sharing your pic Tunce, BEAUTIFUL job!
Old 12-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #17

Thanks everybody. As suggested, we plugged it in for a couple days and she is charged up and ready to go
Old 12-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #18

Enoy your new camper mauigirl

Sadly our TT is plugged in and ready to go, but with the temps below freezing, there's no where to go! Not to mention the first day of winter is tomorrow...
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #19

Cool Brrrrrr

We lived in the PNW for 50 years. We moved to Maui and then Las Vegas to get to the sun/ No more snow and rain. Stay warm my friend