Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Site Team

New Tubular Cam Locks on Storage doors

I decided to change out the standard CH751 key locks on the outside storage doors (3) to Tubular Cam Locks, for a LITTLE added security. I understand that none of the storage doors can be totally secured. I spent a good amount of time searching the Internet for the proper ones. I came across many products that did not allow you to remove the key in the open position, or were not keyed alike. I found a GREAT company (Industrial Lock & Hardware) and sent them an email with my CH751 measurements and asked if they had them in stock. Brenda called me back within the hour and confirmed that they would work perfectly, and took my order. The Tubular Cam Locks are all keyed "ALIKE", and can be removed in the open position. I ordered 3 locks @ $11.35 each, plus $9.50 for shipping. The instructions were well written and straight forward, if you need them. I ordered them on Friday (3/15) and received them this morning (3/18), via USPS. The parts arrived in a sealed plastic bag. The change out took me less than 15 minutes from start to finish for all 3 locks, and they work perfectly.
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this company.
Don

Industrial Lock & Hardware - ILH
40222 La Quinta Lane
Building B - Unit 101
Palmdale, CA. 93551
Voice - 661.224-1010
WWW.ISS4LOCKS.COM

FAX - 661-224-1011

Lock Order Information:
Item - TLC 7/8"
Description - 7/8" Tubular Cam Lock
TCL7803 x 1 3/8" x 1/8" NP-01-KA#4122
Keys - 4 Keys + Service Key
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

FYI, on all Cam Locks I have seen there are nylon inserts that prevent the key from being removed when in the unlocked position, you can simply remove the nylon inserts or leave them depending on what you prefer. I changed mine, purchased the "keyed alike" locks from a local locksmith for ~$4.50 each. IMO very worth the effort and cost to keep snooping eyes and sticky hands out.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

I ordered from Industrial Lock & Hardware about two years ago. The order arrived quickly and it was easy to install the new locks. I added a lock to the electric rear stabilizing jack cover and that was easy, too.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:59 AM   #4

So what are you going to do when you misplace your keys - sure is handy to knock on the neighbors door and borrow his keys...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
So what are you going to do when you misplace your keys - sure is handy to knock on the neighbors door and borrow his keys...
It is kinda scary to say this, but most cam locks are really easy to pick. Because of how easy it was to pick these locks Kryptonite brand bike locks and vending machine companies changed their style cam locks to make it much harder to pick.

With a little practice you can pick the older style cam lock as fast as using a key. I learned via watching a YouTube video about 6 years ago. Not sure what style cam lock ISS4Locks provides, but at that price I would hope they are the non pick able style.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post

Roy Ken
Access the storage areas from the inside where you can take the lock off if necessary. On my TT all the storage areas are accessible under either the rest bunk or front queen bed.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #7

If someone really wants in your trailer they will just use a flat head pry bar and be in within 5 seconds. You can pop those aluminum doors quite easily.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It is kinda scary to say this, but most cam locks are really easy to pick. Because of how easy it was to pick these locks Kryptonite brand bike locks and vending machine companies changed their style cam locks to make it much harder to pick.

With a little practice you can pick the older style cam lock as fast as using a key. I learned via watching a YouTube video about 6 years ago. Not sure what style cam lock ISS4Locks provides, but at that price I would hope they are the non pick able style.
The ones on their website are the tubular style. They are a lot harder to pick than the standard wafer tumbler cam locks. Being a Locksmith for 28 years, I do recommend checking with your local Locksmith and seeing what they carry. I just try to do business locally when possible and practical.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #9

This may sound a bit naive, but I generally do not lock my storage doors when in a CG, and do not put anything inside that is not easily and fairly cheap to replace. My feeling is that I would rather replace my chocks, hoses, and ladder, etc. than have to repair the door and frame where someone damaged it while forcing their way in. As stated above, these doors are very easy to pop open, locked or not. Been camping for many years, and not one item has ever gone missing. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

I carry an extra set of RV keys in my tow vehicle, and an extra set of tow vehicle keys in my RV

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
This may sound a bit naive, but I generally do not lock my storage doors when in a CG, and do not put anything inside that is not easily and fairly cheap to replace. My feeling is that I would rather replace my chocks, hoses, and ladder, etc. than have to repair the door and frame where someone damaged it while forcing their way in. As stated above, these doors are very easy to pop open, locked or not. Been camping for many years, and not one item has ever gone missing. JMHO
I agree 100%.

I have not locked my compartment doors for years. The cost to repair a door is more than the stuff inside.

I've never had anything stolen from my RV in 14 seasons of camping. We've RV'd through all the lower 48 and overnight in most of them.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky66 View Post
The ones on their website are the tubular style. They are a lot harder to pick than the standard wafer tumbler cam locks. Being a Locksmith for 28 years, I do recommend checking with your local Locksmith and seeing what they carry. I just try to do business locally when possible and practical.
I probably should not say how to do it. But all you need is a cheap Bic pen, the type with the white pen body. Pull out all the guts. Shove the pen body into the lock (where the key goes), give it a couple of wiggles and a twist, and low and behold it unlocks.

When I was in college and working for campus security we did it all the time as it was easier then getting the acetylene torch out to cut the lock. Yes we did remove bikes if they were abandoned, locked in a spot where they needed to be removed from (aka blocking a fire exit), or when a resident student lost their keys.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
X3

40+ years camping, never had anything go missing.
Once, a young kid walked through my site and picked up my pocket knife laying on the picnic table.
After I came back, parents came over and asked if it belonged to me :-)

I hope camping never gets infested with thieves. I've always met nice honest people.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #14

I used the combination cam locks a few years ago, and loved them. No keys, can leave unlocked if needed, but latch unlocked, unlike standard cam key locks. I leave them unlocked at times, but in the rain, they need to be latched, and the standard key cam locks must be locked. I want both sides of the door shut and sealed, not one corner.

I have cam combo locks now, but they are for the new thick doirs. My 32BHDS has the thin doors. Need to order new ones. Oh, and in tge dark, they are no issue either. I just rotate one tumbler fir easy access.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #15

What I have done for years is just hang a picture of my mother-in-law on the outside of each compartment door. Just kidding.
P.s. the next 20 callers will receive not one, but two 8x10's for the low introductory price of $4.99 + s/h. Please call our sales department at BR-549. We have operators standing by.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote