Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #1

New White Hawk 23MRB with awning leaking down side of trailer

Our first trip in our trailer was great. One issue, though, is the rain made it through the awning and ran down the side of the trailer (pretty much the whole length) and puddled a little inside the outside kitchen. Is this just a caulking error up top? We're leaving on another trip in two weeks and just need to fix it. Don't want to hassle with taking it back to the dealer. What kind of caulk might be needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #2

I have the exact same trailer model and year. We have loved it and haven't had any issues with the awning. When I get home for work I will get up on the roof and see how it is attached to the trailer and take some pictures for you. We have had it out 5 times now and in some pretty good rain storms with no issues with water leaking down the side of the trailer through the awning.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Picture of the point the awning is attached to the trailer. No caulking that I can see. It was raining at the time so it was hard to get a good picture.
Centerline WDH
Old 06-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

Photo attached I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0269.jpg  
Centerline WDH
Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Hi, I also have a 2017 23MRB. While I understand that you said it ran down the hole side, make sure the back rain gutter spout did not get "bent in" towards the awning. I helped a neighbor with an issue like this and after we fixed the spout his "leak" stopped. Nice to see there are a few of us. FYI, we had trouble with the table falling out of the storage area; the one snap didn't hold. Jayco told us it was a defective snap. We just replaced it with 2 straps and plastic clips (like you use on a back pack. Let me know if you need photos.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #6

Thank you, hazman65 for the photo. Here is my photo. The dealer will fix the problem, but I wanted to make sure it was an installation issue and not a bad awning. I can see in my photo that maybe the caulking is uneven. Is that what you see?

Old 06-21-2017, 04:43 AM   #7

Was it under the slide out part of the outside kitchen? Are you sure the feed lines for the sink are tight? Mine work their way loose every 3 or 4 times that I pull that kitchen out. I have gotten into the habit of giving them a slight turn every time I slide it open.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

The rain trails from the awning all along the trailer down the wall.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #9

Just a thought for you. There really isn't any caulk along that edge that I recall. If you look at the photos there is a track that the awning slides into along the edge of the roof. In one of those photos you can see a screw in the track to keep the awning from shifting back along the track.

Between the roof line and this track is a small channel. Think of this like a rain gutter. Just like at home, make sure that rain gutter is clear of debris. Your photo looked pretty clear. There could have been stuff up there that later blew off on the way home. You should have little spouts on the end of the gutters at each of the 4 corners of the camper. Check them when it is raining and you should see rain shooting out of them. Maybe one more than the other three based on how the camper is leveled.

Also when leveling the trailer the first thing you do is level it left/right. On our camper I always level it so the left side (driver's side when hooked to the truck) is lower than the right side (passenger side and where your door/awning is). I know that these campers have a bowed roof so that means some water will still shed to that right side but it cuts back on the amount and when the AC unit sheds water it goes to the back side of the camper. The added benefit is I have a slide on the Left side only so any rain on that will tend to run away from the seal.

I would start with these things to see if they help.