Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

newbie intro/fresh water fill question

Hi there! New forum member here with new 2014 Swift 198RD (23') we picked up last wkend. Very excited about this upgrade from our first which was a used Trail Lite Bantam 17' hybrid (we luved but outgrew after 6 yrs). So, having lots of fun packing "stuff" including new bed set up after freecycyling the horrid spring thing they called a mattress!

Here's my question. Btw, It's OK to LOL at the simpleness of it! We want to sanitize as suggested by the manual before first trip next weekend (Angel's Camp area) but how the heck do I fill the fresh water tank? When I put the hose to the gravity fill the water just pours back out. Do we need a filler do-hickey tube? Is there some kind of a valve or something blocking the water? The hose end only goes in an inch so I can't push it further in. Using standard "clean drinking water" hose.

The walk thru at dealer did not cover this and I assumed as simple as our old TT.
Thank you for any advice! I am sure we'll have more silly questions and experiences to share!
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi
Eaz WDH w/sway bar
moonbeamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

I use a simple funnel with clear aquarium hose to pour in the concentrated bleach water. Camco makes a freshwater tank hose adapter (with / without cut-off valve) you can get at W*M for for about $5. If you're sanitizing your system with bleach....I see no problem using a garden hose to pump in or dilute the bleach water concentrate.

Garden hoses tend to breed bacteria faster and can contain unhealthy plastic emissions. Use them as little as possible if you plan to drink the water or use for cooking.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Thank you threebutchers; love easy solutions! So, when you fill the fresh water tank with water do you have to use any "adaptor" or do you just hold the hose end to the opening? The water just pours back out...
Eaz WDH w/sway bar
Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #4

My freshwater tank is only 12 gal....if I had a big tank or dry camped - I might consider the filler wand. But since I just use it for sanitizing once a year...the funnel and hose works fine!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Site Team

I suppose these are different from model to model, but on mine I can just put the hose in the opening and it will stay there, the tank will fill without gurgling back out until its full. Adding bleach though I need a funnel with a flexible hose on it or it will spill back out.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Solved it with a cut off hose 18" long shoved in there. Looking in with a fl
ashlight I could see the tube going to tank is curved UP and to the left so the hose had to go in past the up curve. Silly design. Thank you everyone!
Eaz WDH w/sway bar
Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeamjr View Post
Thank you threebutchers; love easy solutions! So, when you fill the fresh water tank with water do you have to use any "adaptor" or do you just hold the hose end to the opening? The water just pours back out...
Moonbeamjr, I like your name. Reminds me of the 70's.

For the fresh water tank fill, it does not have a hose thread connection on it, right? Just a hole with a plastic cap on it? If so, the water from your hose should just go right into the fresh water fill; on mine, I can kind of wedge the hose into the fill tube and it sticks there.

The water should not come gushing back out at you --- unless your fresh water tank is already full?

On edit:
Moonbeamjr, I did not see your last post before writing the reply above. If the hose connecting the fill to the tank curves up, it sure could come back at you when filling up. However, as you said this is not ideal. Maybe your dealer could fix this as a warranty item - I don't think it's supposed to do what it is doing.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Be careful pushing the hose into the gravity fill inlet, it's possible that the flimsy hose leading to the tank could get compromised.

A little off subject, but a couple of years ago I was behind a guy at a CG water filling station and after about 5 minutes I noticed water coming out from the opposite side his TT. Well, actually the water was leaking out the bottom edge of his entry door,

Long story short, when he pushed his fresh water fill hose into the outside fresh water inlet it also pushed the hose leading to the tank off the inside connection flange (hose clamp wasn't tight).

So for about 5 minutes water was being dispersed inside his TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #9

Oh man, that is a good point! So far so good. Was careful. I think we'll get the store version since it probably is softer/more flexible tubing than the hose piece. Gettin everything ready for trip to Calavaras Big Tree SP next weekend. Can't wait!
Eaz WDH w/sway bar
Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #10

Sounds like a NICE trip.....enjoy!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #11

"Moonbeamjr, I like your name. Reminds me of the 70's."

Sr. is alive and governing CA! LOL
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #12

Not sure if it is the same in your area, but my dealer recommended that I fill my fresh water tank with our City water because it is so chlorinated and will sanitize the tank.
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanracing View Post
Not sure if it is the same in your area, but my dealer recommended that I fill my fresh water tank with our City water because it is so chlorinated and will sanitize the tank.
Hi tanracing, We never sanitized our little old trailer. Mainly because we bought it used and didn't really understand it was important. We made a lot of mistakes. But nevertheless, the water was never foul and probably because of the chlorine like your dealer said. But with this baby we are trying to do things "correctly" since mistakes are costly
Eaz WDH w/sway bar
Old 04-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #14

For adding a bleach/water mix to the fresh tank, I cut the label area of one of those brown plastic rootbeer bottles (16 oz or so) to make it like a boat/reservoir. The top of the bottle fits into the fresh water inlet and is easy to pour the mix into the tank.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #15

Hey folks! We purchased a 198rd last year (our 1st tt) and are extremely happy with it. Regarding the fresh tank fill, I experienced the exact same thing. If you take a look in the bottom cabinet just left of the fridge you'll see the tank hose. Ours curved up higher than the inlet which caused the water to pour or gurgle back out. My wife held it down when we filled and it worked just fine.

We took it back for warranty work during the winter and they cut off the excess and made a nice down grade slope. Now we just insert a hose and take care of other tasks while the fresh tank fills.

Happy camping!
concho is offline   Reply With Quote