Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #21

My grey valves are under the slides and are aggravating to crawl around to get to for daily/every other day dumping. It's easier to pull them during set up and just have to close once prior to leaving. When I dump to leave, the slides are already in.
Timbrens
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #22

Just wanted to add my 2 cents, but it may be worth what you pay for it. I've been full-timing for going on 3 years, now, and I'm still learning things from you good folks. I generally don't hook up my sewer hose until the first time I need to dump. But that's just me wanting to cut down on my set-up time - so I can start the fun part of camping. I use my trailer's bathroom for everything. I have two grey tanks: one for the shower/lavatory sink, and one for the kitchen sink. I found that I fill the bathroom grey about every 4 days. With a family of 4 ( and, possibly, a single/smaller grey tank), you may find you fill it even faster. The black tank fills up after about a week; as does the kitchen grey. So, I leave the bathroom grey open, the kitchen grey closed (for rinsing the hose after a black tank flush), and the black tank closed to allow the solids and paper to be suspended and dissolve.

At first, I had a lot of sewer gas coming up the shower drain whenever I showered. Then, in December, someone here posted about people at their full hook-up campground forming a "P-trap" into their "stinky slinky" - to keep sewer gasses out of their camper. So, I tried it. What a difference! No more sewer smell! I simply straighten out the sewer hose before I dump the black (helps prevent back-ups in the hose); then reform it before I dump the grey. I also have to climb under my slide-out to reach both grey tank valves, so this method helps minimize the inconvenience of dumping, and amount of time I spend on my knees. Works out well for me.

As for the black water leakage: it could be that the valve's "O-rings" dried out from the tank being empty while on the dealer's lot and over the winter. That can cause them to leak a little fluid the first couple of times they're exposed to fluids. That being said, a couple of years ago, I had a bit of undissolved TP lodged between the valve blade and the "O-ring". That caused the valve to leak up to 2 gallons of gunk into the sewer pipe. Imagine my horror the first time I removed the sewer cap! I took to placing a bucket under the cap before I removed it. After a month or so, the paper finally dissolved, and things returned to normal. Now I use a rapidly dissolving RV toilet paper, and haven't had that issue since. If you only get a small amount of leakage every now and again, I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the dump station "non potable" hose to clean up the area before you leave. If, however, the amount of seepage increases or continues, I'd have the dealer check it out.

As others have said, if your dogs are well behaved, I wouldn't worry about leaving them in the trailer. The power at your home could go out, too. You just can't worry about every "what if". If they get noisy while you're out, take them with you. Park under some shade and leave the windows in your car/truck open 4-5 inches so they don't get too hot. Also carry plenty of water with you to rehydrate them. That's what I do. You may want to try a test run to see how your pups behave. Leave them in your camper and take the car for a drive around the block. Park a few spots away and walk to your camper. If you hear them barking, you'll know you're going to have a separation issue. If not, you're good to go (so to speak). You may even want to ask a neighbor to walk around your rig while you're out; just to see how they react.

Happy camping!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Just wanted to add my 2 cents, I use my trailer's bathroom for everything.
Happy camping!
I refer the bathroom in our TT as the "ladies" room. On overnights at Wally W or for emergency stops while traveling it is used by All, but I have no issues using the CG bath houses when they are available. Same with showers since someone else has to clean them other than DW. No real strong feelings on this topic, just a personal practice.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #24

Glad to see these questions as we are about to go on our second trip with our TT.

For those of you with the black tank flush feature, do you do that at a site with full hookups just before you leave? I'm assuming you want a dedicated piece of hose but then what is the operation- open the black tank valve and turn on the water?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper View Post
Glad to see these questions as we are about to go on our second trip with our TT.

For those of you with the black tank flush feature, do you do that at a site with full hookups just before you leave? I'm assuming you want a dedicated piece of hose but then what is the operation- open the black tank valve and turn on the water?
Yes. I use a dedicated flex hose for the black tank flush connection. I open the valve and allow to dump, then turn the water on the flush. Once I feel like it's flushed I close the valve and allow the flush to run for a minute to put a gallon or so of clean water in the black tank, then add a scoop of the chemical down the toilet and we're ready for the next trip.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #26

I usually leave gray open black closed. The night before we leave I close the gray and let it fill to flush the black one after the black is emptied. I once left my dogs alone with the air conditioning unit on but the power cord was somehow pulled out and the trailer had only battery power, not enough to run the air conditioning. It wasn't a terribly hot day but I'm not comfortable leaving them too long. We zip tied the cord on until we left in case of another accidental cord malfunction.
lumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #27

Seams like all is covered except you might want to drain your hw before you leave the cg or as soon as you get home , don't forget to turn it ( gas or elec) off. Larry
Old 06-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #28

We have a black tank flush and I flush it every time just before we leave when dumping the tanks. I didn't the first couple of times we went out and the smell would be awful in the trailer when we would open it back up. Now I flush it every time, then after I think it is good and flushed, I close the black tank valve to add some fresh water to the tank and then drop a rv tank pod in. The nasty rancid sewage smell problem solved.

We leave our dog in our camper while we go on some excursions. She is crated because she would chew up things we wouldn't want chewed up. With the AC running and usually a box fan, she is usually quiet until someone tries to enter the trailer. She has been camping with us for a few years so she is a seasoned vet despite her separation anxiety.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyEm View Post
... I do turn off the water to the trailer when we leave for any length of time. I've heard too many horror stories of water flooding an RV when the owners are away. Turning off the water spigot is safe prevention.
You've certainly gotten great suggestions here. I only want to make sure that this advice doesn't get lost. Lot's of horror stories of floods in RV's while folks are out for some period of time.

Most importantly - Enjoy!

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #30

This might be a good investment (cheap insurance) should be available on AMAZON
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-on-valve
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #31

my two cents.........
Regarding hook-ups.......I prefer to hook up the sewer hose when I get there. I typically leave both closed and monitor the gray tank and dump as needed, being sure to have it full enough to flush hose after dumping the black tank when leaving. But you can leave the gray open and just close it a day or so before leaving, so it can fill enough to flush black tank when you leave. For the first time, my gray tank backed up in the shower, on my last trip. I was glad it was hooked up and I just had to holler at someone to go open the valve so I could finish my shower.

Regarding water heater........I was told to put it on gas in the summer, when running the A/C on electric, to not overload breaker. And run it on electric in the winter, when heater was using gas. just a balance of power. if it is an Atwood, you can run it on both to reheat water faster. I turn it off during the night if it is on gas, just because I can hear it cycle on and off.

Regarding leaving dogs.........if you leave them, have some way to monitor temp in camper. I have heard there are apps for that. I worked at Six Flags in high school, and a family left their dogs in their motorhome while they were in the park. At some point the power failed and the dogs died due to heat. broken hearted.

there you go! one more reply to glean from. You will find what works best for your family.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaums04 View Post
Thanks for the responses. What I'm still wondering is why, when I went to attach the hose, when I twisted the cover off, why was there a small amount of "black tank material" that came out before I could get the hose attached. I didn't have the black tank valve open.

Given we've only camped twice, the first time everything was clean. The tank dump went as planned. But the second time there was a small amount of black tank material. Now I'm worried about the next time we camp, when I go to attach the hose....what's gonna come out?

I'm wondering if it matters which direction the black tank handle is turned? It was definitely pushed all the way in, but does it merrier if the handle is positioned horizontal or vertical??
I'm sure everybody's run into that issue. You pop the cap off the pipe and something funky ends up dribbling out! Do yourself a favor and buy a twist on valve. They're about $25 and will prevent anything lingering around from coming out when you take the cap off. Just think of it as your safety net. Once you pop the cap, screw it on and put the cap on the new valve - easy peasy. Just remember to open it after the hose is connected and close it again when you're packed up. The tanks should all have the same type "T" handle that allows you to pull (open) and push (closed). The direction of the T makes no difference. - Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
I'm sure everybody's run into that issue. You pop the cap off the pipe and something funky ends up dribbling out! Do yourself a favor and buy a twist on valve. They're about $25 and will prevent anything lingering around from coming out when you take the cap off. Just think of it as your safety net. Once you pop the cap, screw it on and put the cap on the new valve - easy peasy. Just remember to open it after the hose is connected and close it again when you're packed up. The tanks should all have the same type "T" handle that allows you to pull (open) and push (closed). The direction of the T makes no difference. - Good Luck!
Can you supply a link to this item? Thanks.
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #34

Here you go. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-...Valve/55356052 Also available at other vendors.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BHS ECO View Post
Seams like all is covered except you might want to drain your hw before you leave the cg or as soon as you get home , don't forget to turn it ( gas or elec) off. Larry

With a drained HW tank, it would be disaster if someone accidentally turned on the tank. The only time my tank is drained is when I winterize. Then I put a cardboard tag over the On/Off switch to remind everyone to leave off until full.

We left our normally well behaved/non-barking dog in the camper to go to the beach for an hour on the 4th of July. Shortly after we left, the power went off. With no A/C, the sound of the random firecrackers sent my dog into a panicked rage. Every blind, drape and window screen was torn up. Then the dog completely destroyed the exterior door in a bloody mess trying to escape. We now camp with an Impact Dog Crate:https://www.allk-9.com/crates-amp-ke...EaAl-MEALw_wcB
Davejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejavu View Post
With a drained HW tank, it would be disaster if someone accidentally turned on the tank. The only time my tank is drained is when I winterize. Then I put a cardboard tag over the On/Off switch to remind everyone to leave off until full.
Until the Jayco we always had Suburban water heaters and NEVER had a rotten egg smell. With the Atwood we have to drain the hot water heater - in fact we went down yesterday because we forgot to drain it and as soon as I opened it I could smell the rotten eggs. I also opened the low point drains. It is DW's responsibility to make sure everything is turned off/closed in the trailer - she has a routine. Then when she is done inside, she comes out and follows behind me to make sure I haven't forgotten something - like the water faucet Y.

Quote:
We left our normally well behaved/non-barking dog in the camper to go to the beach for an hour on the 4th of July. Shortly after we left, the power went off. With no A/C, the sound of the random firecrackers sent my dog into a panicked rage. Every blind, drape and window screen was torn up. Then the dog completely destroyed the exterior door in a bloody mess trying to escape. We now camp with an Impact Dog Crate:https://www.allk-9.com/crates-amp-ke...EaAl-MEALw_wcB
Poor thing - the dog, not the trailer. At one time we had 2 Dalmatians and they could not be left alone in the trailer. We have also had Great Danes and never had an issue with them. Now we travel with cats (3) and they go into hiding.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #37

Quote:
When I drain our water heater, I flip the 120 volt circuit breaker off.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #38

If we are staying one or two nights I don’t get out the slinky until I am breaking camp. Hook it up, then black, next gray, couple of black tank rinses, leave a few gals of clean water in tank, add chem and stow the slinky. That way I only have to handle it once. The slinky can be damaged by sun, kids, dogs and maintenance people so no need to have it out the whole time. Just the two of us and we often use the cg bath house.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote