Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Newbie travel trailer owner

Hey guys. I'm a newbie when it comes to travel trailers. I've been pop up camping for years. I just bought a 2017 Jayco Jayflight 32TSBH. I pull it with my 2014 F250 gasser.
Open up o all thoughts and recommendations but here are some things on my mind.

It was winterized so I need to understand how to start getting everything ready to use.
I am thinking about adding another battery so I can boondock a little longer. How do I do this?
Thinking about putting a battery tender on it when I'm not using it to keep it ready and the small drain from some power usage while sitting.
Never used grey or black tanks before, what do I need to know about hook up, emptying and care?
I want to mount a tv in the kids bunk area, I see where it is labeled "backing for tv" but is their a certain type of mount I need?
The outside kitchen sink doesn't seem to have a strainer, it's just a black hole to drainage.
Jayflight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

As far as de-winterizing, most de-winterize on their first trip after winter. Keep the HWH by-passed and hook up to the city connection. Make sure sewer hose is connected and ready. Open both valves (grey & black). Run fresh water through the system, purging the anti-freeze. I usually open one faucet at a time...some open all at the same time. Opening one at a time gives you adequate pressure to that particular faucet to push the anti-freeze out. Do all your faucets and bath/shower until they run clear. Not too important to flush the toilet, but some people do for some reason. Hence, why I said to open BOTH valves. Then, flip the valves on the by-pass system to allow water into the HWH.

Always keep the black tank closed during your stay until full or close to full. Grey tanks can be kept open. Considering you're at a full hook up site, of course.

The rest...not too familiar.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new Jay Flight and welcome to the forum.

"A battery tender on it when I'm not using it to keep it ready and the small drain from some power usage while sitting."
A good idea or you could remove one battery cable (negative is best/safer) from the battery. On TTs, it is usually the WHITE cable going from the battery negative terminal to the TT frame.

"Never used grey or black tanks before, what do I need to know about hook up, emptying and care?"
As a start, I suggest checking out YouTube videos. It's not difficult, but it can create a yucky mess if done wrong.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #4

Congrats and welcome to JOF. Happy Camping

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #5

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

On the tanks, always keep the black tank valve closed until it's time to empty it. The fuller the better. Grey can be open on longer outings but should be full when you empty the black tank. Then drain the black tank and flush with the full grey water. Not keeping the black tank valve closed can result in the dreaded Pyramid of Poop! Happy camping!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

When we picked up our 25BH it had been dewinterized when they did the dealer prep before our PDI. At first I was a bit concerned because it can still dip below freezing temps at night and I don't want to keep the heat on out there. However they explained that the process is just blowing out the antifreeze from the lines. So I should be fine.

The way I always did it in the past was either flush water through all lines hot and cold then put the plug back in the water heater and turn the bypass valves to fill the HW heater.

As others mentioned you want to dump your black tank when it is full. If you have full hookups and you are getting ready to break camp you can flush the toilet running lots of water in there to fill it up then dump. I prefer to keep the grey closed because I have never had a black flush until now and want a way to clean out the hose following a dump of the black tank.

As far as the dump process, of course this will depend on where you are and how long the line is. But I would prefer to dump black, flush black then dump grey. If there is a line I will probably dump black and then grey. When I get home I can flush black and fill some grey water to clean stuff up. It isn't necessary to always flush the black but if at a full hookup site it is a great time to take advantage of it.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #8

This is great information. Thank you. We are taking it out this weekend. Any additional hours on which threads I should be focused on to learn more or videos to search for?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

Thank you for the great info. I will look for YouTube videos. Any thouhts on channels or search topics?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #10

Thank you for the great comments.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

Not sure if anyone covered a couple of your other questions.

Additional battery

No perfect answer on this one. One option is to just add a second 12V depp cycle. You want to try and match the age of the battery as well as the make and model as best you can. Since you likely just have to buy one battery it is the less expensive option in that you need a second battery, some wires so they can be wired in parallel. If you are serious about more battery capacity then ditch the battery you have now and hook up two 6v golf cart batteries in series. Since the 6V golf cart batteries have greater capacity than the 12V you have more available power. Also they are more of an industrial deep cycle where many times a 12V deep cycle is just a regular 12V with a deep cycle sticker on it. It is more expensive but if the batteries are maintained they will give more years of service compared to a set of 12V.

Battery Tender

Sure you can do this. The CO/propane detector will be pulling power. Do you have power where you are storing? Another option is to just add a battery disconnect then it won't pull any power. Then before a trip you will want to plug in the trailer anyhow to get the fridge going and the battery(ies) will have a chance to charge up then.

TV Mount

It does't really matter. Some people mount a bit of plywood to the wall to give a bit more surface to attach to. Also watch the screw length so you don't go through the wall. I guess if you got a TV mount that swings out on an arm, make sure you can lock it in a closed position.

Strainer

I haven't looked at the sink in my outdoor kitchen to see if it has one. So not sure if that is common. I don't know that there is one in the Bathroom either. I know my old camper didn't so this may be normal in the smaller sinks.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #12

As far as the battery tender, if your trailer is stored at home, why not leave it plugged in? It will keen the batteries charged. I leave my fridges on all summer so I'm ready to pull out at a moments notice. [emoji2] as far as the tv mount, be sure you use a stud finder to verify the backer board is there. They have been known to stick those stickers in the wrong place. You will likely need to pick up shorter bolts than come with the mount. Any mount will do as long as you secure the tv from moving too much during travel. Happy camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #13

Welcome to JOF and congrats, that is one nice looking TT.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayflight 32tsbh