Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Newbie with many questions

I have a 2008 Jayflight 26BH purchased last year from a private seller and my following questions are...

1. I used my camper twice last year. The first time the fresh water was fine and gave me no problems. i used the camper about a month later, filled it up the same way and the fresh water was a black sulfer smelling water. What went wrong and will a simple bleeching take care of my problem.

2. My red battery cable has been cut (from prior owner) and has not been hooked up yet. It is about 12-20 inches away from the battery. Can i just splice the wire and reconnect or will that cause me problems down the road? also the fuse area on the wire looks horrible, should i replace that as well?

3. i bought the camper with slightl cracked tires. when should i replace the tires before i have a problem
hoehn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

Ok as far as the water, don't know, one of our more experienced members surely will know. 2nd You can splice another wire, make sure to use the same gauge wire and use good quality splices and seal to the elements with a heat shrink tube or something similar. I would look to see if you can find a posilok connector of the right gauge to do the splice, they don't come apart by themselves, but can be if you need them to. Replacing the fuse holder makes sense if you are doing the work. Tires are nothing to be overlooked if they look bad replace them, try searching for a recent post on tires, replacement and intervals. Cracks are never good, replace them before they cause you more trouble JMHO.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #3

Would segment in the holding tank cause the water problem? It is the only thing I can think of
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. You definitely need a flushing and bleaching of the fresh water system, must have been some old water in there. I agree with Lsuduke about the tires. They could go at a VERY inconvenient moment!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

I will give it a try this weekend and hope it works
Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Site Team

All tires will have a "birth date" stamped on them. It is a 4 number code that indicates the week and year of manufacture. If your tires are over 4 years old, I would consider replacing them.

I would start with the water smell by draining and sanitizing the tank and lines. The holding tanks should not have any effect on the fresh water lines. Drain the water heater also. Sometimes water from different sources, especially shallow wells, can cause that sulfur smell.

I don't understand how you camped without your battery being hooked up, but I would splice in a section as previously recommended and replace the fuse holder.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #7

I am not a fan of splicing battery cables. What I would do is look to see if I could use a BLUE SEA TYPE FUSE BLOCK on the metal cross over frame on the trailer tongue and use a standard hydraulic hand crimped ring terminal on the battery cable coming from the trailer to this fuse block. Then come off the other side of the fuse and go to the battery using hydraulic hand crimped ring terminals or purchase a good quality battery cable that has the right length with ring terminals already installed on both ends.

This could also be a good time to install a battery disconnect switch in the Positive battery line as well just to gain access to ring terminal studs to use. The Battery disconnect switch could installed right next the BLUE SEA fuse block. Battery cables being spliced just doesn't always turn out good unless they are done professionally using hydraulic hand crimps etc...

Someday you might want to install two deep cycle batteries to do some camping off the power grid and this method would fit right into such an install scheme.

Doing something like this when someone steals your battery again and cuts off the battery cables you will only need to replace a short battery cable section that already has ring terminals on both ends.

just me thoughts
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

The battery has two white wires going to neg
One black wire with a green wire(30amp fuse) and a red/black wire

What are the two white wires for?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

I would replace the wire and the fuse. Replace the tires. You NEED to sanitize the fresh water system, including the water heater, fresh water tank, all water lines hot/cold, all faucets, shower hoses, water to the toilet, etc. Bacteria cause the sulfur smell.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
All tires will have a "birth date" stamped on them. It is a 4 number code that indicates the week and year of manufacture. If your tires are over 4 years old, I would consider replacing them.

I would start with the water smell by draining and sanitizing the tank and lines. The holding tanks should not have any effect on the fresh water lines. Drain the water heater also. Sometimes water from different sources, especially shallow wells, can cause that sulfur smell.

I don't understand how you camped without your battery being hooked up, but I would splice in a section as previously recommended and replace the fuse holder.

Four years? Seems awfully short. I've heard anywhere from 7 to 10 years for automotive tires, are trailers shorter in life span somehow?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
Four years? Seems awfully short. I've heard anywhere from 7 to 10 years for automotive tires, are trailers shorter in life span somehow?
You push you tires as long as you want, mine won't stay on the road more than 5 years. All the sitting is worse for the tires than actually using them.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
Yes - TT tires typically operate under a straight axle (non-slip), higher PSI, higher RPM, carry more weight per tire than TV tires. They also sit for extended periods of time which can weaken the tire.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #13

I would definitely put a better tire on them!!!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #14

The white wires are the grounds. They should go to the camper frame near the battery.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote