Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

no 110v power

Hello, I hope you all can help. I have a 2006 Jay feather 23b, Today I noticed I had no 110 power even though it's plugged into the house, also, I got a mild shock when standing barefoot on the ground and touching the door frame. Assuming it's a ground problem, Where would I begin to look? Also, has anyone ever had a similar issue? I wouldn't think just a broken ground alone would cause complete power loss, Hot skin yes buy not a complete power loss would it?
Leo801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

Yes it can, it may be where your hooked up to, has a problem with the neutral. Reversed polarity..open ground etc. turn the power off and have it checked.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 AM   #3

Find another source of power and see if everything works. If so I would check the 110 house for an open ground. as wags999 said. If you are using an adaptor you may also have a bad adaptor. If you are using the tt power cord remember the outlet must be a rec. vehicle type outlet.
Good luck
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

Go to your local hardware store an buy an outlet tester. It will tell you if the outlet you are going to plug into is properly wired. I use mine with a 30 amp to 15 amp plug adapter to check every receptacle that I intend top plug my trailer power cord into before I plug in. It the tester doesn't say the outlet is correctly wired, I don't plug in. I also carry a volt meter and check the voltage before I use a power supply.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #5
Site Team

Here is a video on how to verify various power sources are good. Get any voltmeter and learn how to use it. Be careful, that tingle you fell can be lethal!

http://www.myrvtalk.com/redirect-to/...%3DW5pLlZm8O84
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

us71na is right great tool. I keep on in the travel tool box.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Go to your local hardware store an buy an outlet tester. It will tell you if the outlet you are going to plug into is properly wired. I use mine with a 30 amp to 15 amp plug adapter to check every receptacle that I intend top plug my trailer power cord into before I plug in. It the tester doesn't say the outlet is correctly wired, I don't plug in. I also carry a volt meter and check the voltage before I use a power supply.
I keep a plug in voltmeter inside and one of these plugged into my outside utility panel at all times.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

Thank you all, Upon further inspection during the daytime, I found the extension cord (regular) plug AND 30 Amp adapter to be burned up pretty good. I thought I would be fine hooked up to the house and have been for months, I suspect my teen kids have been using the Air conditioner and possibly the fridge at times though. I leave the camper unlocked because I frequently move things in and out and clean between trips....
Having found this issue I realize this practice is bad however isn't there a way to stay hooked up at home and use the Air when I'm inside cleaning, repairing or upgrading things without burning up cords? If not, no big deal I'll just stay plugged in to maintain my battery and work in the heat.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #9

P.s- I will for sure get the above mentioned equipment...thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Site Team

Have a electrician wire a 30a receptacle properly equipped near the rig.

Also don't let the kids have free rein.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Have a electrician wire a 30a receptacle properly equipped near the rig.

Also don't let the kids have free rein.
Yes haha,
Seems the 13 year old boy is the only one to be trusted as he only went in to complete his chore of changing the stay dry bags, the 19 and 17 year old were to be helping with maintenance but only used it for T.V and A/C... now the door stays locked .. I knew better but gave it a shot anyway, no real harm done it seems so not so bad.

I just contacted a friend of mine and will have a 30 Amp box on the house this weekend, he suggested putting it towards the front of the house so I can unravel the entire cord and not leave any cord in the trailer bundled up and also so I can hook up from the street if I want to stage the camper/tow vehicle and chill the fridge overnight. Sometimes neighbors park too close for an early departure...... Jeez, How do I not think of these things????
Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #12

Make sure the electrician knows it's for an RV and that it is 30 amp 120 volt NOT 240 volt... I've seen that mistake, if you just ask for a 30 amp plug for your RV.

Good luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

Thanks Wags, Yes I told him, In fact he just drove out to Ohio last weekend to pick up a brand new 2015 Jayco it turns out. So, he knows exactly what I need. Also, he married the woman who I bought my house from so he knows exactly what he needs to make the run and hook up from the box, kinda working out all around on this project. Which of course means, something else has to go wrong....